General (but important) questions?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewNailsbyJulie

Reaction score
Hi all,

I can't wait to get starting on my nail training soon, in the mean time I have been reading my Marion Newman book, searching the internet but generally spending most of my spare time on Salongeek!

Anyhow, by nature I am an information junkie so it is no surprise that I am constantly searching for answers, and below are some that I haven't found answers to as yet, so I thought I would lump them all together here if that's ok? :)

Thanx in advance for any advice I get :hug:

:eek: I know that long term use of gel etc is fine for our natural nails, but are natural nails likely to be any different in any way after being covered for so long? The only thing I have ever read is that the nail will be softer but would harden up again once the protein builds up again (as it didn't need to produce protective protein when protected by gel)? So are they initially soft, and if so, how long to harden up? Or would they always be stronger than before gel use (if tech has used correct procedures of course)?

:eek: If I use natural well-less tips, could I not blend it in so it keeps a neat smile line (if natural nails are very short)? If I used an opaque gel surely I wouldn't need to blend any type of tip as it wouldn't show through the gel anyhow? But then it would be good to use a gel that looked the same as the natural free edge area so the client could leave their nails bare for a natural look and still have a smile line visible, but what colour would that be?)

:eek: Does a base coat do anything other than protect the natural nail from staining when using coloured polish?

:eek: Should I get my (future) clients to use an antibacterial hand gel AND spray with hand sanitiser?

:eek: Why is there a choice of primer AND acid less primer and why would I choose one against another?

:eek: What is a good cleaner for stains left on the natural nail such from things such as nicotine (and stains on skin) and coloured polish?

:eek: Does anyone keep first aid stuff with them when mobile and if so, what items? (I guess health and safety would require this if working form home, but I will check that another time.)

:eek: i have been told that I will be insured once I start my training but will this cover for anything on anyone or will there be restrictions? (Getting answers or return phone calls from the people organising my training is like getting blood from a stone, hence the question!)

:eek: I have sculpted my left hand and I am so pleased with results and how long they are lasting. I know if one breaks I can do a sculpt mend but if I just wanted them a bit longer could I sculpt on a few millimeters or would it be best to file them down a bit first to make the new sculpt area larger?

:eek: Can anyone recommend a good opaque pink gel for coverage and extending of the natural nail, maybe a nice neutral colour that would suit most people (until I can afford several shade choices!)?

:eek: Does any work from home and mobile but charge a little less if clients come to your home (sounds better than saying you charge more for working mobile!)?

PHEW! :green:

PHEW is right ... well I have a spare half hour so here goes. answers in green.

Hi all,

:eek: I know that long term use of gel etc is fine for our natural nails, but are natural nails likely to be any different in any way after being covered for so long? The only thing I have ever read is that the nail will be softer but would harden up again once the protein builds up again (as it didn't need to produce protective protein when protected by gel)? So are they initially soft, and if so, how long to harden up? Or would they always be stronger than before gel use (if tech has used correct procedures of course)?

Wearing nail enhancements does not change the natural nail in any permanent way just as bleaching your hair dose not change your hair in any permanent way.

Wearing enhancements does alter the balance of moisture and oil in the nail plate so when they are removed this moisture/oil balance needs time to restore itself (just like bleached hair needs conditioning). Usually only a few days with the use of an effective moisturiser such as CND Solar Oil will restore the balance and the nails will feel fine again. Clients need to keep up the Solar Oil regime every day for some weeks to keep nails nice and flexible to avoid breakage.

:eek: If I use natural well-less tips, could I not blend it in so it keeps a neat smile line (if natural nails are very short)? You can do whatever you want, but the virtue of well less tips is that they do not need to be blended. When you have applied product the smile line will look perfectly neat.

If I used an opaque gel surely I wouldn't need to blend any type of tip as it wouldn't show through the gel anyhow? Tips that require blending will be too rigid if not blended and tend to separate from the free edge if not blended. But then it would be good to use a gel that looked the same as the natural free edge area so the client could leave their nails bare for a natural look and still have a smile line visible, but what colour would that be?) There are soft white gels and natural coloured gels that will do the job you want ... not all free edge colours are French white.

:eek: Does a base coat do anything other than protect the natural nail from staining when using coloured polish?

Actually a base coat does not protect the natural nail from staining ... this is a myth. The job of a base coat is to anchor the polish to the nail and to provide a perfect base for the polish to adhere to.

:eek: Should I get my (future) clients to use an antibacterial hand gel AND spray with hand sanitiser?

There is no need to use both. A normal wash in soap and water sanitises the hands perfecty adequately and a good hand sanitiser gel does the rest.

:eek: Why is there a choice of primer AND acid less primer and why would I choose one against another?

Both do the job if your system requires it and they both do the job as well as each other. Some like one and some the other ... life is about choices. Better yet, use a high tech system like Creative/CND that requires no primer and save yourself both time and money.

:eek: What is a good cleaner for stains left on the natural nail such from things such as nicotine (and stains on skin) and coloured polish?

Nail Brite available form Sweet Squared 08452106060 -- been around for years and is a great product to retail to your clients as well as to use in the salon if required.

:eek: Does anyone keep first aid stuff with them when mobile and if so, what items? (I guess health and safety would require this if working form home, but I will check that another time.)

I do not do mobile and frankyly I would not have thought of bringing a first aid kit wih me if I was, but I supppose it is not aq bad idea. I wouldn't plan on doing anything to a client tha would require a first aid kit.

:eek: i have been told that I will be insured once I start my training but will this cover for anything on anyone or will there be restrictions? (Getting answers or return phone calls from the people organising my training is like getting blood from a stone, hence the question!)

Checking with your insurance provided is the only way to know ... I already have doubts about your training provider if at this early stage you are not getting the answers you want and need.

:eek: I have sculpted my left hand and I am so pleased with results and how long they are lasting. I know if one breaks I can do a sculpt mend but if I just wanted them a bit longer could I sculpt on a few millimeters or would it be best to file them down a bit first to make the new sculpt area larger?

Either way would work, what will give you the best result esthetically is what you should do.

:eek: Can anyone recommend a good opaque pink gel for coverage and extending of the natural nail, maybe a nice neutral colour that would suit most people (until I can afford several shade choices!)?

CND Brisa gels come in Warm, Neutral and Cool opaque shades. Depends on your skin type. If in doubt go for neutral.

:eek: Does any work from home and mobile but charge a little less if clients come to your home (sounds better than saying you charge more for working mobile!)?

Of course I would charge more for going mobile as it involves overheads such as petrol and depreciation and time wasted getting to and from appointments. Or less for working from home -- whichever sounds best. Nothing on this earth would make me ever want to work as a mobile nail technician.

PHEW! :green:

I have to confess to wondering why you are playing around with products before you have even started your training and wondering who would sell an untrained person professional products before they had had any training??

Wow, many thanks for quick and concise answers.......and yes, now that I am familiar with this forum I too am surprised that these types of products can be sold to 'anyone'!

At first I wasn't aware of the detail in the training needed so simply search for the items needed and found a local supplier who also had lots of helpful info on their website.

I then read Marians book and realised what was involved so straight away was telling everyone I knew that I wouldn't be able to 'do' their nails until I was in training and insured!

But I am already feeling anger as most people I have spoken to say
'but don't extensions ruin nails?' or those that already have extensions say
'my nails have been ruined by extensions so I always have to wear some kind of false nails now!'
Bad experiences seem to involve the filing and drilling and lots of pain! (and picking off product!) I even found some forum the other day and it was full of women giving wrong advice and opinions to each other and so spreading this to more people:mad:

So I am trying to spread the word round where I live that a properly trained nail tech will cause no problems or pain, and that in return extensions must not be picked at etc!

Oh well, I will do my best and get my training, in the meantime I have only practised on myself and immediate family!

Ooh...just to let you know, I found I could get a government funded NVQ level 2 in Nail Services but as I have said before, the people I am dealing with are not the quickest to get back to me or give me the answers I am after!!!(But I persevere!)

It seems that this is all to do with the following....I don't know if it's familiar to yourself or Salongeek but I initially got the telephone number from this forum?

Train to Gain
T-Centrix
Odyssey Nails

Wow, many thanks for quick and concise answers.......and yes, now that I am familiar with this forum I too am surprised that these types of products can be sold to 'anyone'!

At first I wasn't aware of the detail in the training needed so simply search for the items needed and found a local supplier who also had lots of helpful info on their website.

I then read Marians book and realised what was involved so straight away was telling everyone I knew that I wouldn't be able to 'do' their nails until I was in training and insured!

But I am already feeling anger as most people I have spoken to say
'but don't extensions ruin nails?' or those that already have extensions say
'my nails have been ruined by extensions so I always have to wear some kind of false nails now!'
Bad experiences seem to involve the filing and drilling and lots of pain! (and picking off product!) I even found some forum the other day and it was full of women giving wrong advice and opinions to each other and so spreading this to more people:mad:

So I am trying to spread the word round where I live that a properly trained nail tech will cause no problems or pain, and that in return extensions must not be picked at etc!

Oh well, I will do my best and get my training, in the meantime I have only practised on myself and immediate family!

Hey, Julie, you sound like our kind of geek!!! :hug:

You definitely have the right ideas about how things should be done.

One true thing that you should know, is that, where nails are concerned, very few clients take any responsibility for the damage that THEY cause to their nails, but ruined??? NO. Nails grow and will be just as they always were if they do get damaged ... it's just that women don't like to go through the 6 months agony of growing them so they cover up the damage and then inflict more!! Go figure!:rolleyes:

Then we have the 'kitchen mafia' out there who buy products from ebay or other irresponsible sources and think .. "what can be so difficult about nails? I can do that"!! And they sally forth to do their worst and knowing nothing about what they are doing.

Then we have the badly trained who are capable of causing great damage with their files and drills.

Then we have the professionals who take responsibility for getting the best training and ensuring the health of their clients' natural nails beneath the enhancements. The pros who use advanced products at the high end that require no primers or filing of the natural nails which helps to ensure the health of their clients' nails ... they are the smart professionals know that the healthier the natural nail, the better and longer the enhancements will last.

Latest posts

Back