Gentlemen’s back wax?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freelancetrainer

Reaction score
Hello!
Just curious to know how you each wax gents backs? I’ve used roller but it’s not so comfortable on men with longer hair. I use some strip wax with spatula too but this takes much longer. I was thinking of using hot wax and interested to know if you feel this would be more comfortable. I usually only use hot wax on Hollywood’s and Brazilians/under arms.

I’ve pretty much switched over completely to rollers, but I still have a pot of strip wax on my trolley. I agree, strip wax is more comfortable than roller on some chaps backs. I usually use strip or rollers up to the shoulder blades because I feel I can support the skin well, but if I see snapping I switch to hot wax. On chaps with thick long hair I hot wax over the spine, from the nape of the neck down to mid thoracic area and then see if I can strip or roller wax either side. If that seems too painful, of if I’m getting snapping (and trimming is an option) then I use hot wax.

it depends on your timings. I know therapists that aim to finish a back wax in 15 mins. My own feeling is they are just snapping the hairs and not getting it out by the roots - but maybe that’s because I can’t do a decent back wax in such a short time.

I’ve been using lots of hot wax across the tops of the shoulder and around the neck. I occasionally use it over the shoulder blades, just as I would if I am chest waxing.

I use outback Organics jade wax for back waxing. I don’t use their onyx as I have so much choice on my geek trolley of waxing options - but it’s occurred to me that this would probably be perfect.

I think I’ll just do a combination of everything. I always find it interesting that people apply wax down the spine as hairs tend to grow inwards towards the spine from the sides, not down the spine. Id expect only the ends of the hairs are being covered by wax and also being removed upwards instead of outwards. Will all depend of course as to how hairy he is.

Hair growth on backs can be a bit varied. I’ve got a few Spanish and Italian chaps and they have a narrow band of hair growing downwards along the spine like the ruff on a cat’s back.

Some hot waxes have different application techniques. For example I apply in the direction of hair growth now, but I was taught to apply hot wax against the direction of hair growth.

I think providing as comfortable a service as you can is key to rebooking. I find spritzing with an aloe Vera based after wax spray at regular intervals is appreciated.

The roller I find fine for the less hairy but I know one gent said he found the application as painful as the wax removal. It was his first ever wax too so was a bit unfortunate but he showed no signs of pain otherwise I’d have tried hot wax or strip spatula. I also have tubes wax. I have every type but because he seemed comfortable I just continued with the roller. [emoji51]

Latest posts

Back