Genuine salons/nail techs

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicole<3

Reaction score
Any tips to find a genuine salon/Nail technician? Is there anything i should be looking out for?
Reading a few threads lately it seems a fair few of you fully trained techs have notices should we call them..fraudsters? ie. not upto the usual standards and its a little daunting as iv had a couple of 'not so great' jobs done on my own nails.
Thanks for any response

Nicole its so nice to see a question like this!!

LOOK FOR CERTIFICATES noting that the tech has MASTERED the product they use. Ask them how they clean their tools and implements, ask to see what products they are using, and see if they are in clearly labeled containers.

Red flags- Are there alot of blank containers about? Does the smell in the room upon entering it overwhelm you?

The main ingredient you want to see in the monomer is "ETHYL METHACRYLATE," if you see "METHYL METHACRYLATE," run away... :)

Get referrals, ask questions, ask more questions, and ask again!

If they pull out an e-file and you dont see a cert on the wall for that e-file- RUN AWAY.

If they start filing your nail with an abrasive lower than 240 grit (ask them they should be able to tell you the grit), ask them to kindly stop.

I know there is more, but here is something to get you started :)

I hope Fiona doesn't mind me posting this!:green:

There are some good pointers on here.....
Choosing a Salon

HTH

Not ALL techs post their certificates on walls.
I dont. They're ugly :lol: I prefer nice pictures, thanks.

BUT be sure that your technician can provide one or two (as the case may be) for you to see.

Also, be wary of unmarked/unlabelled containers. If containers don't have logos, be cautious. And asking for an MSDS (material & safety data sheet) is a good way to avoid MMA ("METHYL METHACRYLATE"). Any tech that blows off your request for one or doesn't want to show it to you..... I'd RUN away as Heather says.

Never let a tech use an electric file on your natural nail. It's meant for the product.

Clean/new files and towels for every client is a must.

A dirty work station where they use the same file on every client should be avoided.

hth's

Hi,
I dont have lables on all my l&P. Glass jars for me. I like the look of them better.I was an instructor for 3 years and my classes where half vietnamese and half american. Some of the vietnamese students where owners of nail salons just now getting their lic. Most were fresh off the plane, but were already working in shops while they were in my class.
All but a few are extreamly nice and are running there shop with no MMA here in Ohio. Some are using it. There are different smells to the MMA also. It depends on the liquid they add it to. MMA can also come in powder form so you may not smell it. Most dont know this.

I know a owner of a vietnamese supply house and they have several brands off powder and liquid right on there self forsale with MMA in it, but MMA is also called something else and I forget its other name. "Big long word" I'll remeber later, its in my teaching notes.

Radical by creative with ultra solar powders is just as strong and is what alot of the vietnamese are using for solar nails, but for the regular nails I think it is in most cases MMA or special mixed powders as they call it, being used

Strawberry

Not ALL techs post their certificates on walls.
I dont. They're ugly :lol: I prefer nice pictures, thanks.

BUT be sure that your technician can provide one or two (as the case may be) for you to see.

Also, be wary of unmarked/unlabeled containers. If containers don't have logos, be cautious. And asking for an MSDS (material & safety data sheet) is a good way to avoid MMA ("METHYL METHACRYLATE"). Any tech that blows off your request for one or doesn't want to show it to you..... I'd RUN away as Heather says.

Never let a tech use an electric file on your natural nail. It's meant for the product.

Clean/new files and towels for every client is a must.

A dirty work station where they use the same file on every client should be avoided.

hth's

Aww don't say that mate, mine are lovely and I'm ever so proud to display them. They are my personal achievements in life. Well....apart from the 3 kids:lol:

with no MMA here in Ohio. Some are using it. There are different smells to the MMA also. It depends on the liquid they add it to. MMA can also come in powder form so you may not smell it. Most dont know this.
Strawberry
MMA in Polymer is not a problem as far as I am aware.

Thats great, we have a big problem with it here in the us but life goes on
Strawberry

Here is a snippet from Sam's article on MMA

O MY GOD! MY POWDER HAS PMMA!

Yup. So does damn near every powder on the market. So does countless other items that you use every day. PMMA stands for poly-methyl methacrylate. In plain old English, cured MMA. In this context, PMMA lends some of its strength to PEMA and poses none of the risks mentioned above.

Polymer MMA is not a problem as far as I am aware.

Spot on as always Jac -

"MMA will be present in almost every acrylic powder on the market. This is entirely acceptable. Only MMA in it's liquid form is dangerous." www.beautytech.com

Ive never heard of PMMA ever.

Does your nails soak off like rubber?

Strawberry

Ummmmm No! what do you mean exactly?

Ive personaly notice when a product has pure MMA (which is not to healthy) the nails soak off like rubber. They stay shiny like you just buffed them no matter how long you soak them in acetone and they scrap off like thick melted rubber.

Strawberry

No Mate, I use creative which does not contain MMA and it soaks off a dream.

MMA is only a problem if its in the Monomer.

I have come across MMA nails and I know what you mean, they are an absolute bugger to soak off I find it easier to rebalance them instead and let the old product grow off as long as there is not too much lifting:)

Aww don't say that mate, mine are lovely and I'm ever so proud to display them. They are my personal achievements in life. Well....apart from the 3 kids:lol:

No seriously, mine are UUUUUUUUU-GLY lol (you know how the hyena says it, in Lion king? LOL)
One is pale green and white, from the government. Not even like a real diploma. It looks more like something the tax-man sends ya, and all full of gobbeldeegook like course grades and points earned for each subject/course, blah blah (for my DEP/Diplome D'Etudes Professionel/Professional Studies Diploma) for cosmetology. 2yr course. Terribly ugly. (mind you, I had all 90%'s and 100%'s.. so that part's not so bad LOL)
The other is just flamboyant with vivid colours and yukkers.
And the last is plain black and white and you might mistake it for an invoice.

None look like a nice classy 'diploma' with the nice caligraphy, know what I mean?

PLUS they clash with my living-room :lol:

If they start filing your nail with an abrasive lower than 240 grit (ask them they should be able to tell you the grit), ask them to kindly stop.

Shouldn't that be: If they start filing your natural nail with an abrasive lower than 240?:hug:

:o :o yes. lol

Thanks, someday I will have the ability to EDIT before I post lol.

Thanks you ;)

Latest posts

Back