Getting A Dog?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can I also just quickly apologise to Sweetcorn1 for hijacking her thread... :o

Don't worry about it at all. As long as everyone is getting help from this.

I am just petrified of getting the puppy home and looking at it thinking "What the hell do I do now"!!!!!

I need a book to read about bringing a puppy home!!!

Hi sweetcorn, the first thing you need to get is a cage,put some toys in and when you go and pick your pup up take a towel with you and ask the breeder to rub it round the mum to get her smell on it {all over it} this will be your pups blanket {nunu} like a baby has a piece of blanket that they take allover with them.They then can still smell their mum whilst getting to know you and its new surroundings.Thers alot i could write about training but just try to remeber they are pack animals and need a leader and you are the pack leader.I know it sounds daft but if you watch wolf programes etc as our dogs are the same they work the same.Anyway feeding is a good place to start,when you feed your puppy take the bowl away just few a second then give it back,this is to help with food aggression,feed your dog after you evan when you go through a door dont let the dog barge through first they must wait till you have gone through before they do.It seems very hard at first but when they are fully grown and got some weight to them beleive me you dont want a heavy dog nocking you all over.Once the dog has learnt this it will do it automatically so things will run alot smoother.God iv started going on but defo try the comfort blanket thing and cage,every time the pup wakes up take it out for a wee and loads of praise.Sorry to go on but it does help,my dog is my aviator above he was over 8 stone hes just been on a diet bless him.My god is he hairy but we love him to bits but hes not allowed upstairs because every thing would be coverd with hairs then lol.Iv always said a home need a pet him and my son are inseperable major is 5yrs and my lad is 6yrs they are like the terrible twins lol.BTW i would love a Bulldog or a rotty but got to get the house finnished off first before.Good luck sorry long boring reply PM me if you want any info,im no expert by far but read up loads and have alot of dog training.HTH's xxxx

Thanks Zena I really appreciate it and I want you to ramble on with advice because I want all the help I can get!!!

We had a puppy sort of lined up but that has fallen through due to not feeling 100% happy with the breeder. She stopped all communication for 4 days and we couldn't get hold of her at all so thats that. So back looking again! I was so disappointed. Never mind.

I'll keep asking the questions though as they pop into my head!!!

I got a cocker spaniel on sunday. He is 8weeks old into everything. I don't mind that its the smell of poo hitting you when he has done all over the kitchen floor trailed all over the floor and you don't know where to start cleaning it up ooooo

OH MY GOD I'M GETTING MY PUPPY!!!!!!!!

I AM SO SO EXCITED.

We pick him up on sunday afternoon and I am so scared of doing something wrong in these first few weeks and screwing him up for the rest of his and my life!!!!

Also anybody got any ideas for names we are stuck.

They need to be old fashioned names like George/Albert not names like rex etc.

I'm gonna be a mummy!! HE HE!!!

Hi
I used to have a puppy, and oh my goodness...........the stories I could tell not all bad. One day I came in from work to find my dog had eaten the sideboard leg and had got into my make-up case.....he had eye shadow and stuff all over him and half a powder brush sticking out of his mouth:eek:

I now have a rescue dog called Scruffy. I wanted a lab but when we saw her we just went aahhh, and she is the most beautifull thing., chilled layed back (she does fall over when she sits on your feet) She was 3 when we got her and now she is6. She did have basic training, I carried on with the classes.

Sorry for babbling...........she is so sweet, but sometimes stinking. :lol:

I AM SO SO EXCITED.

We pick him up on sunday afternoon and I am so scared of doing something wrong in these first few weeks and screwing him up for the rest of his and my life!!!!

Awww! Congrats! I've had my new pup a few weeks now and I am exhausted!
Names - Archie, Alfie, Humphrey, George is nice, Arthur, Percy, Stan/Stanley, Jack.... Um cant think of any more old fashioned ones right now!

my boxer is eddie, his kennel name is laid back eddie and sometimes he is called edward only if he's been naughty lol:lol:

Take a look at my website that may give you some pointers of where to start, thoroughly research any heriditory conditions that the breed suffer from, if there are any ask to see proof of any tests that have been carried out on the puppy you choose, make sure you choose a reputable breeder one who cares for their dogs not one who just breeds for profit, there are oh so many of those around. Have a word with your local veterinary practice to see if they know any breeders, visit a couple of Championship Dog shows where the breed is being shown. Most of all take your time making your decision, remember you are going to be spending a lifetime with your puppy.

Joan

Hiya are u still getting a bulldog, I've got 2 a girl called Lola (after the showgirl! & a boy caller Rudy) I can give u loads of advice if u need it, mainly watch the heat with them they can get ill if they get to hot, (they cant walk far either!) but they are great dogs they love company, get penty of books on the breed thats what we did xx :)

I haven't read all this thread, so apologise if I repeat anything. I'm no dog expert, but this is what we've done as it's worked so far:lol:.

Our puppy, Oz is one next month....choc lab. To be honest I didn't realise just how much work would be involved, however, I wouldn't change having him. It's like having another child. They really become part of the family.

Only purchase a large breed if you seriously have the time to exercise it. Oz needs alot of exercise and there have been many atime I wished I had a King Charles and could throw a ball in the garden:lol:

We didn't use a cage, and found it quite easy to train Oz. He was only allowed the kitchen and conservatory for the first three months. With regard to leaving him, not that I do it often, but I can leave him up to 5hours with no tiddles, and he never barks whilst we're out (my neighbours listen out for him:lol:).

It really was hard work, but we are reaping the benefits now. On the down side, when he's off the lead on the beach and see's another dog, he gets so excited he won't come back......any tips:idea:

I AM SO SO EXCITED.

Awwww sweetie!!! That's brilliant! Congratulations!!!!

I'm still struggling to talk my other half into letting me get a dog. :cry: I think it all stems from me wanting to have a baby and just desperately wanting something that will be completely dependant on me and that I can look after, if you see what I mean.

Unfortunately my other half has made it quite clear:- No baby and no puppy. :cry: :cry: :cry:

As for names... oooh I don't know. I'd always wanted Saxon for a boy and Rowan for a girl. :green:

My uncle had a bulldog infact it was from the family from 101 dalmations film he had to travel for him and paid quite alot of money his name was Monty he was lovely dog,then they got another one and called her Nula HTH's xx

Im looking at getting a Dogue De Bordeaux (the one out of the film Turner & Hooch), my OH said I can get him as long as I pay for him ... he is £800, I want to call him Harley or Alfie. But I am still undecided!!

Well we have had the puppy, who we have named Alfie, for 3 days now and what a hard few days it has been!!!

I was ready for handing him back after 24 hours but things are getting a lot easier now and I'm getting to love him despite his very tiny bladder!!!

I'll post some photos in the geek gallery so have a look.

Hi am new to this site, but have always had dogs. Currently have 2, one is a Irish Wolfhound & 1 a Lhasa Apso.

Dogs can be left on their own for quite a while although this depends on the age, puppies shouldn't be left alone for too long. Make sure you give them a fairly long walk before you leave for work and leave things for them to do. Try putting their food into treat balls so they have to work to get the food out. Also you can buy something called a Kong which you fill with an edible paste for them to lick out. This can take quite a while. I use cream cheese in mine but don't forget to wash it thoroughly. Hubby forget to pick it up when he got home once and the dog hid it and the smell after a couple of days was awful!

Cage training is a fantastic idea. All my dogs have been cage trained, although with a wolfhound the kitchen is his cage!

Toilet training can be achieved really quickly if you are dedicated. Take them out into the garden every 20 minutes during the daytime when you first get the dog. Pick a word for them to associate with and every time they perform say the word. They will soon learn that when you say the word they have to perform. It only took about 4 days to train mine. At night and when you leave them puppy pads are fab. But instead of the pet shop buy incontinence pads that go on beds from the chemist they are about half the price.

I wouldn't be without my dogs, they are a wonderful addition to my life and extremely rewarding. Make sure you let them know who's boss from day one though or they'll run rings around you. Good luck finding your canine companion and it would be great to see some piccies.

I've put a picture of Alfie in the geek gallery for you guys to look at. xXXx

Awwwe he is beautiful,
he looks like hes wearing black lipstick and his cute little nose is like a little black inky spot , his black lips remind me of sweeps lips form the sooty and sweep show, hes so cute ,he looks so comfy on mummy's knee ,
has he been keeping you awake a lot ?
At first you think oh no what have I done :eek: but then you get used to them and love them and they become part of the family , hes lovely does he do any funny little things yet ?
give him a cuddle from me :hug: xx

Hi the pet insurance i would recomend is pet plan they have been great with me and my dog who has now past away ,they paid up every time and it didnt matter how expensive the vet bills were ,i have now got another little dog who i have again insured with pet plan ,it just gives you peace of mind if something did happen to your dog ,also with how expensive dogs are you want to make sure you are giving him then best care ,anyway good luck for when you get him ,bull dogs are beautiful dogs (i wish i could afford one )

Latest posts

Back