Getting A Dog?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't read all this thread, so apologise if I repeat anything. I'm no dog expert, but this is what we've done as it's worked so far:lol:.

Our puppy, Oz is one next month....choc lab. To be honest I didn't realise just how much work would be involved, however, I wouldn't change having him. It's like having another child. They really become part of the family.

Only purchase a large breed if you seriously have the time to exercise it. Oz needs alot of exercise and there have been many atime I wished I had a King Charles and could throw a ball in the garden:lol:

We didn't use a cage, and found it quite easy to train Oz. He was only allowed the kitchen and conservatory for the first three months. With regard to leaving him, not that I do it often, but I can leave him up to 5hours with no tiddles, and he never barks whilst we're out (my neighbours listen out for him:lol:).

It really was hard work, but we are reaping the benefits now. On the down side, when he's off the lead on the beach and see's another dog, he gets so excited he won't come back......any tips:idea:
Hi ,
I have the same problem ,my pups 10mnths,when shes off the lead shes gone if shes seen another dog and completly ignores us,she is quite a strong dog ,american bulldog /akita,i try now just to let her off the lead in a quite area as alot of dogs dont appreciate her jumping all over them,its ok though if its another big pup,its lovely to see them jumping around together.Im hoping its just a puppy thing when she ignores me when theres other dogs around,and she ll grow out of it,shes fine on recall if theres no one about normally.

Hiya

What can i say, i would have a boat load of pets if i could have my way

We have our 11yr old Wiemarana called Baxter

The most amazing dog
Sensative, Loving and a very good boy

BUT...he love a fight(when he was in his prime)
He don't like puppies(loves bunnies and guinea pigs):hug:he has given himself a very important job looking after our rabbits
poo's loads
gets us up in the middle of the night 3am 4am 5am for Wee and Poo's(or to tuck him back in bed)
eats loads
needs loads of walks
sulks when his dad takes him out...goes mad when his mom takes him out:hug:

would i be without him NO WAY WE LOVE HIM SOOOOO MUCH

quick tips to remember...stick to the rules when young, always use the same commands as your partner, never give in to them and keep him her fit, train them the roads crossing etc, take them on regular walks so they are aware of area if they get lost, if they run off when off the lead call them and walk the other way..they will soon follow
take the food off the floor after meal times...never leave it out all day...they will poo and wee out of control.

Bed times Baxter has a couple of single quilts with covers on that he calls his bed..they are easy to wash and comfy and warm to sleep on.

Good Luck

Jenx
Advanced Beauty Clinic - Warwickshire

Can anyone help with toilet training. We are taking him out when we are at home but he is still having accidents in his cage and when we leave the room. We tell him off when he does it indoors and treats when outdoors. We feed him in his cage but he still wees and sometimes poos in the cage even on his blanket.

I thought after a week we'd be getting there but he rarely asks to go out its only cos we clock watch that we don't have accidents. He can manage 3-4 hours during the night though???

Help.

Can anyone help with toilet training. We are taking him out when we are at home but he is still having accidents in his cage and when we leave the room. We tell him off when he does it indoors and treats when outdoors. We feed him in his cage but he still wees and sometimes poos in the cage even on his blanket.

I thought after a week we'd be getting there but he rarely asks to go out its only cos we clock watch that we don't have accidents. He can manage 3-4 hours during the night though???

Help.

He's only a baby! They need to go up to 20 mins after eating and drinking, and they dont have much control over their bladder/bowels. How many weeks is he? Ours is 11 weeks, we've had him since 6 weeks and he still has accidents.

He will soon stop soiling his bed as dogs dont like being in their own filth. Ours doesnt really toilet in his cage anymore. We also feed him outside of the cage, but there is always a bowl of water in there, incase he wakes up thirsty.

As soon as we let him out of the cage we put him outside and leave him til he performs.

Also I've read a lot of info on toilet training and they all say NOT to tell them off when they go inside, just ignore and give loads of praise and a command when he does it outside.

If you are telling off a pup you must only scold it when it is actually carrying out the crime, as if you wait until after, they dont understand and become scared and anxious.

It will take a couple of months for him to be toilet trained. Look out for him sniffing the ground and circling a little bit, then chuck him out and give him the command and loads of praise when he performs.

Thanks, we are doing all those things I just wanted to know if we were missing something. People keep saying "my dog was house trained in 4 days!!!" I thought I was doing it wrong!!!

Got home after a couple of hours today and he had pooed in his cage but eaten it!!! nice!!!

Nothing to clear up!!!

House Training your Puppy

Some really good advice here.

As long as you are not telling him off for doing it inside, but praising him when he does it outside, he will soon get the hang of it. We've had an accident free day today, for the first time! And he's still lasting through the night, so it takes time but they get there in the end!

Also when you start taking him for walks he will probably do all his business then, rather than at home.

Some of the books I have read say to stop giving food &/or water a few hours before bed and it will cut down the need to potty during the night.
Also be very aware of anyone giving him bits of people food,as some people food can be quite dangerous to dog's.Some can even poison the dog. I am going to look at your new "baby" in the gallery now. They are a big responsibility but you will find there comes a day that you would just die if something happened to them. Good luck and the potty issue will get better.:)

Latest posts

Back