Getting back into hair, need advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reide

Still in Training
Reaction score
Hi guys. I was doing an apprenticeship and due to a neurological (Neurocardiogenic Syncope and a low blood preasure reserve) disorder my body replicated having a heart attack. This lead me to being asked to quit from my work. I felt it was right because I would have had to take a lot of days off for testing because at this stage they thought it was an actaly heart attack and I had to go through a lot of testing because heart attacks are not normal at my age. I left work on January 16th 2018.

Now I'm trying to get back into it but people seem to freak out over:
- the lack of work for 2 years
- The condition because they are scared it will inpact work
- My age as I am a matured aged apprentice
- The lack of driving (I have to get a new licence due to the health things)

Now I'm really not sure what to do. I would love any advice on how to convince people that I am worthit. I've got a little under 10 years salon experience, a couple of those years were doing the apprenticeship however I've also worked in reception, as a salon assistant and as an oncall backup for a few salons for christmas holidays and times when other assistants are ill. I've been able to work on catwalks. I've worked on photoshoots. I just feel like I'm being overlooked and am getting disheartened over it because I know I can do a good job even if I need to start from scratch.

If you were a boss what would you look for? How would you want me to explain it? Is it better for the interview? I've been told by doctors I legally have to tell the people about the condition but it hasn't effected me since december and is managed by medication (if needed), salt and water.

Hi guys. I was doing an apprenticeship and due to a neurological (Neurocardiogenic Syncope and a low blood preasure reserve) disorder my body replicated having a heart attack. This lead me to being asked to quit from my work. I felt it was right because I would have had to take a lot of days off for testing because at this stage they thought it was an actaly heart attack and I had to go through a lot of testing because heart attacks are not normal at my age. I left work on January 16th 2018.

Now I'm trying to get back into it but people seem to freak out over:
- the lack of work for 2 years
- The condition because they are scared it will inpact work
- My age as I am a matured aged apprentice
- The lack of driving (I have to get a new licence due to the health things)

Now I'm really not sure what to do. I would love any advice on how to convince people that I am worthit. I've got a little under 10 years salon experience, a couple of those years were doing the apprenticeship however I've also worked in reception, as a salon assistant and as an oncall backup for a few salons for christmas holidays and times when other assistants are ill. I've been able to work on catwalks. I've worked on photoshoots. I just feel like I'm being overlooked and am getting disheartened over it because I know I can do a good job even if I need to start from scratch.

If you were a boss what would you look for? How would you want me to explain it? Is it better for the interview? I've been told by doctors I legally have to tell the people about the condition but it hasn't effected me since december and is managed by medication (if needed), salt and water.
Hi. I’m not a hairdresser but was thinking could you do a course to refresh on your skills & go out on your own instead of working for someone else. Then you have control over your hours & health and you’ll find out you’ll probably be better off.
Also, i’m Thinking the stress of worrying about possibly losing your job again if your health goes downhill might be a contributing factor to your health anyway.
I’m glad you’re doing better anyway

Latest posts

Back