Getting back into the beauty business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Springtime

Reaction score
Good afternoon
I'm a fully qualified Beauty Therapist (two-year college course, CIBTAC and City & Guilds) but I've been out of the business for 20 years.
I'm now 52 and have grown to despair of working in an office for bad management. As a CACI fan, I'd love to train in CACI for the face and body.
I'd really like to hear your advice and suggestions for:
a) training with CACI International Vs an independent trainer
b) which CACI machine to buy and who from
c) build up my client base from home, or mobile, or rent a room in a hair salon with on-site promotion opportunities.
Thank you very much in advance.

Hello @Springtime, Welcome to Salongeek.

I’m not a CACI salon so I won’t comment on your CACI questions. I can’t see that it’s very practical to go mobile with a CACI machine. With mobile you want a small number of clients booking you for quite a bit of time, otherwise you spend most of the time driving and setting up. You could have a mobile clinic where you visit an area one day a week and see several clients in each location.

In terms of location, both home based and room renting can be amazing and can also fail dismally. On balance, if you have the opportunity and the funds to create a self contained space with a loo and separate entrance in your own home, I’d personally go with that. Of course you may know a lovely hairdresser with an amazing space.

The best piece of advice I’ve been given is to Never have all your eggs in one basket. I was always told to earn from 2 locations or two sources. I know so many people that have lost their space unexpectedly, that I always have a “PlanB” that I can swiftly press into action. I’ve also usually got a second income. It makes a massive difference to your stress and anxiety levels.

Last edited:
Hello @Springtime, Welcome to Salongeek.

I’m not a CACI salon so I won’t comment on your CACI questions. I can’t see that it’s very practical to go mobile with a CACI machine. With mobile you want a small number of clients booking you for quite a bit of time, otherwise you spend most of the time driving and setting up. You could have a mobile clinic where you visit an area one day a week and see several clients in each location.

In terms of location, both home based and room renting can be amazing and can also fail dismally. On balance, if you have the opportunity and the funds to create a self contained space with a loo and separate entrance in your own home, I’d personally go with that. Of course you may know a lovely hairdresser with an amazing space.

The best piece of advice I’ve been given is to Never have all your eggs in one basket. I was always told to earn from 2 locations or two sources. I know so many people that have lost their space unexpectedly, that I always have a “PlanB” that I can swiftly press into action. I’ve also usually got a second income. It makes a massive difference to your stress and anxiety levels.
Thank you for your very honest and useful advice :)

Good afternoon
I'm a fully qualified Beauty Therapist (two-year college course, CIBTAC and City & Guilds) but I've been out of the business for 20 years.
I'm now 52 and have grown to despair of working in an office for bad management. As a CACI fan, I'd love to train in CACI for the face and body.
I'd really like to hear your advice and suggestions for:
a) training with CACI International Vs an independent trainer
b) which CACI machine to buy and who from
c) build up my client base from home, or mobile, or rent a room in a hair salon with on-site promotion opportunities.
Thank you very much in advance.
Hello
Hi
This is a common problem with makeup artists. Imposter syndrome or just a build up of negative thoughts which leads to lack of confidence.
Our business is one of ongoing education and learning new techniques as well as seasonal trends.
Being self employed and working solo when you often need support also adds to this feeling of 'isolation'.
if this resonates with you then you will be please to know it is all totally solvable.

Hi, I just had to reply, I am 52 years old and have been out of the beauty for 20 odd years got made redundant and thought I have had enough of working for everyone else so went self employed last July 2020 ( not the best time I know with pandemic going on) but have totally loved what work I have done, I work mainly mobile I rent a hair salon when they are closed on a Monday and Wednesday and work mobile rest of week, I retrained to do lash lift as in my day it was lash perms! and I lacked a bit of confidence but honestly it is like riding a bike, at first I kept thinking l was too old but I seem to attract the older clients which in all fairness spend the money so I am always a bit skeptical when youngsters want treatments as they are very unreliable and usually let you down so I have stayed away from false nails and lashes, I offer waxing, facials lash lifts, tints, massage, manicures and pedicures also added gel nails as I felt these are so popular, so go for it and only do what you feel happy doing.

Hi I am just a bit older and went back to beauty after a break having qualified in the 1980's some years ago now. I think it will be very easy for you to pick up skills again as most of them are timeless lol! However I would also warn of not having all your eggs in one basket. I have found this to be costly a couple of times. Also investing so much in one machine mmm not so sure. BTW always train with the company at least initially so you are covered. According to my stats, clients want products more than treatments, something to consider in pandemic conditions. Market research in your local area is also a good idea.

Latest posts

Back