Getting hair extension clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bry0nie

Jennifer
Reaction score
I completed a hair extension course a month ago with Belle Academy and have only since had 4 clients - 2 of who were free (models). I'm struggling to get clients and don't really know what I can do. I already advertise on facebook, have a page, on instagram, ads on gumtree, and business cards in shops. I get plenty of messages of loads of people interested but then as soon as the price is mentioned they are no longer interested. I am offering the extensions for £120-160 which includes the hair and fitting price, which I think is relatively cheap but everyone seems to be expecting extensions for nothing. I use good quality hair and believe I am good at what I do which is shown on my pages but just can't get the clients. Any advice on what to do??

Can I ask which supplier you are using and how much you are charging for fitting?

I am also new to it an in the same situation as you.

Hello ladies,

Its so so hard it really is. Building a reputation is harder now than ever as its so easy for people to qualify that there is a lot of competition out there with everyone doing the same things. I found it difficult to begin with and I trained 3 years ago so it must be even harder now.

Firstly, I gained so much more business by teaming up with others. I have a friend who is a hairdresser and owns her own salon. I do her extensions, she colours my hair, we spread the word of each others work to our clients and recommend each other. Whoever you choose to do this with has to be good at what they do. If my friend was a crap hairdresser I wouldnt recommend her. People value honestly. An honest reputation is important. So basically team up with someone within the hair industry. (obviously not someone who offers extensions though)

Secondly, working as a mobile stylist and from home really limited me. Since renting a space in my friends beauty salon I have had so much more business. The passing trade, the recommendations from the beauty therapists and the fact it makes you look more professional all I have found personally contributed to me being able to really build a valuable client base and reputation in the area I live in.

Everyone advertises online, leaflets or flyers business cards etc...you need to think outside the box a little. I try to always post a set of photos and at least one video of each transformation I do. Videos really engage people more so than images these days. Mix it up and do one standard video, then the next transformation you do use boomerang or do a slow motion video. Video yourself brushing through your clients hair that sort of thing.

People also love to know that you know what you are taking about. On your page show pictures of what different method look like once fitted (your own work) show pictures of what your clients hair looks like once grown out before maintenance and explain what happens etc people love to be informed and to know that you are a professional who knows what they are ta;king about/doing.

In terms of pricing people love a bargain. They dont know the true value of the hair, your time, materials etc so to them £160 may seem like alot. Advertise with a breakdown of what exactly that £160 includes for example I will always say 'a full head 100g of (insert brand name) fusion bond extensions lasting up to X amount of months with excellent aftercare including fitting, cut, blend, style / finish and a hair care starter kit for all new clients' it seems like you are getting alot for your money, because you are!

Make your business about the client and making their experience with hair extensions the best it can be and you cant go wrong. It will take time to build your business, to get the word out and build a reputation but once the word is out you'll be thankful you put all the effort in.

The majority of my business comes through recommendations via word of mouth from previous clients recommending me and also other link minded professionals I have teamed up with. Make your business about making your clients happy and looking after them and their best interests, offering them a great value professional service for the money and they will do the rest for you!

Hope this helps you, Dani xxx

Amazing dani x

I completed a hair extension course a month ago with Belle Academy and have only since had 4 clients - 2 of who were free (models). I'm struggling to get clients and don't really know what I can do. I already advertise on facebook, have a page, on instagram, ads on gumtree, and business cards in shops. I get plenty of messages of loads of people interested but then as soon as the price is mentioned they are no longer interested. I am offering the extensions for £120-160 which includes the hair and fitting price, which I think is relatively cheap but everyone seems to be expecting extensions for nothing. I use good quality hair and believe I am good at what I do which is shown on my pages but just can't get the clients. Any advice on what to do??

I’d be more worried that you’re using cheap hair to be able to do them at that price.

Practicing loads helped me, it didn’t happen overnight, it took me about a year to build up a part time client base and a further 2 years to become fully booked 6 days a week.
People like to see photos, examples of your work. Offering fittings for free when the client buys the hair will help get people in the door and you can build your portfolio.
The more clients you do, the more clients you’ll get through word of mouth. Providing you use good hair, do good fittings and are reliable etc

Latest posts

Back