Getting into hairdressing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galaxy83

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am currently a nail technician but would love to get into hairdressing. I am sooooo confused about all the courses my local college offers though! They start at NVQ level 1 and go right rthough to level 3 with diploma courses in between!! I expected it would take a couple of years to qualify but if I had to work my way through each course individually it would take me about 10 years!!!

Does anyone know how it works ie...where do you start? Do you have to do each course individually or do you merge them together so you do them at the same time? Also I could only do part time so is it even possible to start a whole new career with just part time training?

Any advice would be great because i'm really confused (it doesnt take much believe me!!!:biggrin:). I have emailed my college for advice but haven't heard back yet so thought you lovelies might be able to help!!

Thanks loooooads!

i start college in september doing my nvq1/2 as a full time mature student....and it is a year long course...its different i think for under 19's. then i can go onto do nvq3......at most if you do each level per year you will be only at college 3 years..
i would ring the college up and enquire as every college maybe different.

Thanks joanne,

The thing that confused me is that my local college does level 2 and 3 diploma courses (dont know what these are really) as well as the nvqs. for example the nvq level 2 entry requirements says you must have a level 2 diploma, the level 2 diploma course says you must have nvq level 1. When I added up all the courses it says I've got to do it would take me about 8 years to complete my nvq level 3!!!

Maybe now you're as confused as i am :biggrin:!!! Plus I can only do part time evenings because of my nail business and having 2 young children. They do part time courses but again there are so many requirements!! I phoned the college today but it was closed so will try again tomorrow!

I just hope I can do it part time in less that 8 years!! I was expecting 2 or 3 so that would be ok. I'm just so impatient...i wont be able to keep still until ive rang the college tomorrow so i know where im up to!!

Anyway i'll stop rambling on with myself now!!

thanks again xxx

I have just finished my level 2 in hairdressing and am starting my level 3 in september.

At my college, you either start on level 1 or 2, I started on 2, it goes from the basics of shampooing to cutting, coloring, perming etc.
we could do either full or part time courses.

If you go into your local college they will have a chat with you and tell you your options its worth the time hun go for it, i really loved it is why im doign level 3 too :green:

Edit - the course is 2 years and then another 6 or 12 months for level 3

I have just finished my level 2 in hairdressing and am starting my level 3 in september.

At my college, you either start on level 1 or 2, I started on 2, it goes from the basics of shampooing to cutting, coloring, perming etc.
we could do either full or part time courses.

If you go into your local college they will have a chat with you and tell you your options its worth the time hun go for it, i really loved it is why im doign level 3 too :green:

Edit - the course is 2 years and then another 6 or 12 months for level 3
Thankyou!

I got in touch with my college and spoke to the head tutor of hairdressing and she said although in an ideal world they would like everyone to do their level 1, they do accept you straight on to level 2 if you are prepared to put in the extra work. So this is what I'll do. It's a part time course which runs for 18 months....then I will go on to level 3. I'm going to an enrolment day in august and i cant wait!!

I'm doing it together with my husband. We're both nail technicians and he actually started his NVQ level 2 working on an apprenticeship in a salon when he left school but had to leave before he conpleted it because at the time he couldnt afford to live on the rubbish money! So I've got a bit of a head start because he has shown me loads already!

Latest posts

Back