getting more clients, Urgent assistance req!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisa_Schvartz

Reaction score
Hi guys

I know there are loads of posts on here regarding new clients but im still really stuck. In Jan i started mobile beauty therapy and when i started i had absolutly no clients whatso ever so it was a big step!! I have a few clients now but still struggling. considering i started with no one i have done ok i generally have 3 or 4 a week but the majority of these are eyebrow waxes which as you know isnt exactly gonna make me rich!!lol

Im desperate for ideas of new advertising ways that i have missed! I know the best way is word of mouth but this doesnt seem to be happening very often. Ive done leaflet drops, ive put notices in supermarket, all the nurserys in the area have had a poster and leaflets sent to them. Gyms that dont already have beauty rooms, hairdressers. Advert in local mag, Yell.com, thompsons. I know a few people in large businesses so they have put notices on internal notice boards/intranet etc. but im still having trouble getting new clients to call me. Loads of friends and family have passed on pricelists and loads of people have said "yes i will def book in" But still no call

Any other ideas that i can use. I have sent letters to all my clients with 10% off for them and a friend if they recommend a friend but no reply, when i started i did 20% off all treatments but nothing. Im stuck!!! Is it to early to start talking about xmas?

Any help most appriciated!

it really is difficult isn't it?!!
I've been a holistic therapist for 10 years now, and for me, mobile is really hard. Infact I only got about 10 clients doing mobile, and its only since I got a room that I've got a client list.

One good suggestion is Pamper Parties.

Offer a number of treatments for a set fee, and see if you can pair up with someone who does massage or beauty.
I generally charge £25 per person and each person gets 2 x 25 minute treatments. If its more than 3 people, I invite another therapist. I generally split it 50/50.
I once got invited to do a pamper party and my friend wasn't going to do 50/50 until she saw my face and then did.

I also do talks and demonstrations for payment. I don't do free ones anymore, but used to do them for the WI and Mothers Union. You always hope to get return clients from these, but its not very high.

I've also done the Exhibition route - localy only. but have not once got a client from this.

Now I'm in a room, I have 75 people on my client list. I offer incentives, special offers, recommend a friend, etc. I'm just about to take over another room and will have to start from scratch again, but strangely, looking forward to the new challenge.

one more thing, DON'T TAKE IT PERSONALLY!!!!! Its not YOU, its life.

I personally think mobile beauty is a very hard market to crack and I really feel for you as I struggled bigtime when I was mobile.

It is something that needs to heavily advertised otherwise people just don't know you exist.

Do you know any mobile hair stylists ? I found that to be my best method of gaining new clients. If you don't know any call some up and offer to do 10% off for their clients and vice versa.

If you or friends have kids at school, see if they have a ladies eve where the mums can meet you and sample you (!). Mums at home is a great market and they like to boast to other mums about what they've had done.

Lots of schools have brochures for christmas and summer fairs where you can advertise too.

Have been in mobile for 6 years now. My advice is:

build a website, a good one that stands out, state why you are mobile and how sometimes is more convenient than going to a salon for example, good for mums etc - get someone to help if need be
state on your advertising that you work daytime, evenings and weekends
Get out to the nice areas locally and flier drop
write to schools about pamper evenings that they may be doing with the PTA
go to business link for advice, it is free

there are downtimes in any job, but come Christmas if you advertise you will be inundated!

hope this helps

Did you know that a potential customer needs to see or hear about your business on average 18 times before they are likely to make a booking? This can include leaflet drops, posters, car advertising, radio etc etc but the statistics bods reckon that it takes 18 hits of their brain before they will make an effort to actually pick up the phone!!!!

That is food for thought isnt it!! Keep plugging away at your advertising and no need to splash out too much, leaflet drops, posters, car window stickers etc will each get a 'hit'.

hoping to start new place on 8th or 9th October.
Have asked a few friends to ring up and pretend to be clients and come for a free treatment. It will get me used to working in the room and get the girls in the hairdressers used to booking appointments for me, plus they'll talk about how busy I am.
Still designing flyers/postcards and got to send them to print.

Going to ask people to fill in the back of the flyer/card with their details and then they will be entitled to a reduced reiki treatment, but will need to book it in by a specified time.

Once they have been for this treatment, I will then give them a voucher for a reduced treatment that I have chosen. Hoping that they will then start to book independantly.

A friend has warned me not to go to low with prices as the clients will resent/refuse to pay full price.

Do you think that this is a good stragety or not?

When you first start out - you have no clients - but a year later you will have a few regulars - year 2 those clients should have improved as well as your experience by year 3 you should be doing better with increased clients. The better at your job you are, the more clients you will attract.

Its a long hard slog to get anywhere at first, but it will get better.

You can chuck loads of cash at advertising to get your name out there OR you can wait patiently and get there slowly and cheaply - its up to you.

I personally would have some classy looking postcards done (vistaprint are good for these) put an introductory offer on it - and cherry pick a few places where you can offer someone a treatment and then THAT client will reccomend you to her friends.

I personally think when a client gets to know you - gets a good treatment she WILL reccomend you. Honest!!!

Best of luck.

hiya pazzy,
I've designed a postcard on vistaprint with a special offer, and on the back have asked for Name, Address, contact number, email address and for them to hand it in to the hairdressers to qualify for the special price of the treatment that I am offering.
I am just waiting for the HD to ring so I can go over and sign a contract and have a start date. I've asked for Oct 9th.

I was going to get my friend to put them in the kids homework bag at the local primary as she works there and have them on reception of the HD. Possibly do one estate in the village but don't know whether to do a postal drop or not.

Interestingly enough, I had my tarot cards read a few weeks ago and asked if I should go for this room in the HD. She said only if I was prepared to let people know that I was there and not just expect the phone to ring.

One advantage to the HD is that she has always had a beauty therapist there and she says once people know that I'm there will start booking up.

thats what someone told me and its true.

all my new clients get a postcard saying - thanks for choosing us and hope to see you soon, also the new offers i have. this works really well as they don't expect it.

send then a birthday card with 10% off - i get 90% of them back in to use it

gift vougher - fab for xmas pressies

recommend a friend works!!! - i give all clients a little leaflet that has 2 parts one for then to give to a friend to have a half price treatment and the other for the client to receive a half price treatment when their friend has used hers.

when i started up i went into local hairdressers on my quiet times and offered free nail file and hand massage - i got loads of clients through that.

good luck with everything and let me know if i can help further or if you want to see my leaftlet.

manda

www.funkyfingertips.co.uk

What you need to do is offer them a 'pink spoon' - a free taster (like an icecream shop would put out tasting samples of their product!) For example: free mini facial...get them to come in (or go to them) they bring a friend or two to qualify, and once you have them on the phone for their appointment you can ask them what other services they'd like to book. Just like that. You can tell them anything you want them to know. When they have their appointment for their 'freebie' you can then sell them both some products and book them for their NEXT appointment. You could also try GumTree. When I was training I offered free make-overs ... I got lots and lots of replies to my GumTree ad and my customers, whilst they didn't pay for their first time, have now become very local paying customers. Stick at it... success doesn't always come overnight, you're in this for the long haul. Good LUCK! x

I am wondering if mobile is the right way to go about, after reading the post.

I am wanting to ask, does it bring many clients or it is worth, contacting a hairdresser, with free space to offer treatments.

The reason why I decided to go mobile, was due to having no client base, to start off, thought it be a better way to start out, as there would be no overheads, as you do in a salon> Now, am thinking other ways about mobile therapy.

Can you help with my question, does mobile therapy work, or it just a waste of energy?

Im mobile and pretty busy - Im actually at the opposite now where Im just not coping at all - and feeling pretty miserable right now.

I think its affecting my health at the moment. I have too many clients and its getting too much.

i have also just started as a mobile beauty therapist about 3 weeks ago and i gave out loads of leaflets and flyers at schools shops and lots of other places and didnt get any replys for 2 weeks but this week i have hade 4 new clients so im finaly getting some work.

tracyx

Latest posts

Back