Getting out of my comfort zone...help !!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Emmsybabes~

Reaction score
Ok I know I have learned lots of new techniques over the last few weeks,
I was beginning to get very stressed with myself, so thought I would see if I could still do something I know I used to be able to do no problems
(when I was doing nails more often)

With the coloured tip nail you see here I did today I didn't struggle one bit....not at all...
It all came naturally for me to do, I know the apex is a little off, but still soooo much better than the other nails I have been trying to do...

So how come when I try to do a natural look nail on myself I just can't do it...

Am I trying too many new things all at once...or should that not really be a factor ?

As you can see the difference between the two nails is shocking lol,
One did yesterday and one today, both sculptured, and I was aiming for the same look with the white but shorter...

What the hell is up with me lol...

Something up here in my little head is not functioning properly lol...

Should I maybe stick to brushing up on one thing at a time instead of a whole bunch of things...
Do you think I am just thinking too hard instead of letting it all flow

Colour tip is reverse method btw..lol

(omg can you believe I have just been chasing a cat out, and broke my nail lmao....typical...was litrally as I was walking away from the comp ....people wonder how you do anything with these nails...its simple...YOU DON'T :D )

Attachments

• 06112008546.jpg
    06112008546.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 251
  • 07112008578.jpg
    07112008578.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 217
  • 07112008584.jpg
    07112008584.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 204
  • 07112008585.jpg
    07112008585.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
WOW...they are beautiful! :)

I'd be well happy with a set of those colour tips Emms, they're gorgeous and I WANT SOME! :green:

I think you're stressing by trying to get to grips with everything at once hun!!
Instead of working on yourself can you not work on a nail trainer or someone else?? Sometimes if I find that sitting with the old nail trainer for a while works.
Can you not do the reverse method with your P&W?

oh ur smiles are amazing
I want some!!!!:lol:

Thankyou everybody :hug:

I think you're stressing by trying to get to grips with everything at once hun!!
Instead of working on yourself can you not work on a nail trainer or someone else?? Sometimes if I find that sitting with the old nail trainer for a while works.
Can you not do the reverse method with your P&W?

I did some nails on Nancy nail trainer last night...I still think they are a little thin, but I did them on the long beds, just like a NNO
I have just set up again and have just done a t&o on the tiny nail bed, as thats about the same size as my nail

I was discussing with another geek last night how I just find it so hard on my own nails when performing what I call " a normal set" lol

If doing a dramatic length or shape, I seem to be ok, but when trying to scuplt a nice natural length i mess up....

I do have little nails and some are fan shaped and ski jump also....which I see from the CND DVD makes me a perfect candidate for tips, not so good for sculptured...
But I know sculptured CAN be done, just with a little more hard work (for myself on myself I mean)

Would it make me really bad to just give up sculpting on my own nails ?

I always feel though it sounds more professional if I sculpted them iykwim...
But to be honest now I have discovered all of the different CND tips...I am thinking they are made for a reason..
Some people suit them more, and to make life a little easier lol

So maybe I need to take a step back and carry on walking instead of running for a while...

I think a while ago when I was busy with nails everything had fell into place and I was ploughing along nicely....
Now I have so much to think about and just me and nancy to practice on.....

But you know what....I couldnt be bloomin happier lol..

I feel like now so many lights have been switched on with cnd....
Everything feels natural for me now....instead of struggling to just file a shape in a nail...I know EXACTLY how to do it...

I just need to work on this "natural look on my own nails" thing....and making the nail a bit thicker...(or not filing as much off)

Infact...I will take a couple of photo's of the nail I am doing now, before I file...
you lovely people can tell me if its thick enough in the right places ....then I will file and we will see what happens lol

:hug:

Sorry for waffling on, I just feel I need a bit of help at the moment xxxx

:eek:Wow Emms babe, Those reduns are blooming FANFREAKINGTASTIC!!!!!!!!! try doing reverse on your nails chick, dont think about it too much coz when you did the nails in the stilletto comp they were fab too.
Just dont concentrate on the white too much pretend its coloured powder.
Jen wants some of emmsys pweety nails NOW!!!!! can you not pop down here for the weekend chick, tell wayne to sort the girls you coming to sort ya mad mate out!
Jen xx

All I can say is wow I want you to do mine.

Emma love..your nails aren't ideal for sculping on yourself...grab some of the friends and rellies and get them in for practice!!!
I understand that you think sculpting is more pro but there are certain people that suit blended natural tips simply because of their natural nail shape.
And, bear in mind, there is an art to blending tips perfectly!!
That is the canvas you need to work on for your art.
Give it a go mate x

Are we fretting and worrying again? One thing at a time babes.
I'll be there in an hour 15 ok?

Wow, they look fantastic. Sculpting brings me out in a sweat, so well done!!!. You will get there, I also suffer from brain overload. I just find giving myself a break from nails for a few days sorts it out.

Good luck.!!!

Emma love..your nails aren't ideal for sculping on yourself...grab some of the friends and rellies and get them in for practice!!!
I understand that you think sculpting is more pro but there are certain people that suit blended natural tips simply because of their natural nail shape.
And, bear in mind, there is an art to blending tips perfectly!!
That is the canvas you need to work on for your art.
Give it a go mate x

i am a sculptor i would be lost with out my roll of forms.... but my natural nails suit tips far better.... so i give in and tip me rather than try to faff with my form.... as i know i can (and you can ;)) make both look the same :)

im sure there will be plenty of willing geeks to practice on that would love a set of your pretties :hug:

Jess
xox

I had another go today,
This time using Tips, and I also did the reverse method...I actually think I prefer doing it the "right way round" now I am using CND though,
I think I felt it easier to reverse with NSI as I didnt have as much time to create my smile, now I think I am better doing it the right way,
I think it will be better on my apex's ..

Anyway, here is todays go...

http://www.salongeek.com/members/~e...r-attempt-more-natural-look-my-own-nails.html

Wow they look amazing Emms :hug:

Thankyou hun,
There are a few area's still not right...most apex's are off,
and the smile on the thumb is too high on one side, overall though I am pretty pleased....

I think I needed a couple of days to let what I had watched, read and practiced to sink in, then just let it flow naturally....rather than watching and pausing the dvd and trying to think..
Ratio...brush angle....bead placement...form fitting...colour blending...this file..ooooh no that file...wait...blah blah...Lol..

I tried to just relax today and get on with it...

To be honest though I am glad I did mess up on the first set, because It made me realise what NOT to do this time...
And if tipping my own nails, makes them more enjoyable...then BRING IT ON !!! lol..

I think too, I always prefered sculpting my own nails, as the other products I was using didnt tend to look right if I tipped, they were either too thick,
Or I blended too thin on the free edge or ears and the tip would become visable, or the white patchy...
Now I don't have those problems...The cnd white is a dream, and go's on so easily and gives a TRUE colour....(does what it says on the label this stuff does lol) and I have never had a tip fit me so well !!
(although the size 10 was quite big for my little nail, and I messed up a bit on the tailoring)

I LOVE LOVE LOVE, the fact I can now do a custom blend set without having to cap in clear...it will save me so much time.
I used to have to do the pink, then the white, then cap the lot to take away the "fakeness" and to build my shape..
With the NSI If I tried to build my apex with the colours alone, they looked really fake (imo anyway)
These colours are just beautiful.....

Oooo by the way while I am on the subject, Do any of you think this colour is too pale for me ??? It is the neutral one.
I'll take pictures in natural daylight tomorrow too...

And how about the shape of this free edge ? does it suit my fingers from an outsiders perspective please ?

I am more than happy to accept help on improving guy's so If you see anything I haven't pointed out, please do mention it to me.... :hug:

they look lovely emmsy...really really pretty. I think it is a good thing to be pushed out of your comfort zone as when you achieve the look that you want you feel a sense of accomplishment....and it is that feeling that i think spurs you on to get better and better.
xx

Latest posts

Back