Getting over the hurdles of building clientele

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KellyKittens

Reaction score
Hello!!

I'm a fairly new nail tech. I received my license about 2 months ago but started working less than 3 weeks ago. I have had appointments and worked on a few friends but I'm not as busy as expected nor want. I know this is a climb and it doesn't come easy. I know it took my nail tech 5 years to build full clientele, so I know it isn't going to happened right this minute. I just am trying to not lose motivation right now.

How did you guys get over any of this when you guys started out?

Hello!!

I'm a fairly new nail tech. I received my license about 2 months ago but started working less than 3 weeks ago. I have had appointments and worked on a few friends but I'm not as busy as expected nor want. I know this is a climb and it doesn't come easy. I know it took my nail tech 5 years to build full clientele, so I know it isn't going to happened right this minute. I just am trying to not lose motivation right now.

How did you guys get over any of this when you guys started out?

I’ve been running just 10 months and although I’m not exactly fully booked I’m enjoying the time to work on my speed and raise the quality of service. That said, I am busier than I had ever expected and if anything I worry that it may grow too fast. I work at home and I’ve found the slower pace to be a welcomed period of adjustment to being back at work. Use the time to get books in order etc as before you know it you will be so busy with work that time put aside to spend on this later in the year may not be easy to find. I’ve used my time to get all my financial information transferred to my computer and set up formulas on spreadsheets so the sheets are now doing all the work for me. I just add the necessary income and outgoings and the calculations are automatic. I love being able to see in a daily basis whether there’s any profit or loss etc and how much the business owes me, without having to go through thick lever arch files. Saves so much space in my home and so much energy for me. So I’d say just make the most of your quiet time to perfect that and get your online presence working fir you too. Good luck!

.Also its the time of year, always find October and November fairly quiet. Also it takes time.

Those first few years of starting out are the pits! But like the others have said, it is a slow time for now. Just keep practicing your craft. I found taking before and after pictures of nails you've done and posting to social media is a wonderful visual selling point. Young Nails also has a lot of great advice on their youtube channel under the playlist Biz Talk.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbrhuNO154v3qQhF_l5zNzcovkyRsEaTx

These days, social media is a big way to drive people to your business. It's one of the first things people look for when going to a new salon, so making sure your pages look good and you are posting regularly is very important. Only a very small percentage of your social media followers will see your posts unless you get some engagement going (likes, shares, comments. When this happens, the social media platforms start showing your posts to more people, so it's important to think about the content of your posts and what you want people to do with them.

Make sure you're using some good images, either ones you've taken yourself, ones from your suppliers or professional shots. Give people plenty of information about what you do and make sure there's a call to action on every post - people don't want to go searching for your phone number. Also, Facebook provides you with lots of sections to promote what you do so make sure you use them. Invest some time in completing the list of services, contact details and the About section. It tells people everything you need to know and makes you look more professional.

Latest posts

Back