Getting self in a muddle with acrylics!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorrainiac

Reaction score
Hey all,

Sorry bit of a long post but I'm struggling and I've got two sets of acrylics this week which I'm dreading because there's a few things I just can't get to grips with.

Am getting frustrated as I've been watching lots of you tube videos on acrylic application as I've been struggling with a few things but am getting in more of a muddle!
I posted the other day on how to get the acrylic correct around the cuticle and was sent a video which explained a method which I've tried but I can't get that perfect round shape with the acrylic around the cuticle, is this because my ratio isnt right? Or It may be my brush... it's a kolinsky no.8 which I got with my kit when I trained. Do I need a better brush?
In other videos they apply the acrylic round the cuticle quite thick (and they don't push it behind the brush as oer the video or it certainly doesn't look that way).
I was also taught to work from the free edge up to the cuticle but I'm seeing lots of videos where they start at the cuticle and work down to the free edge. I'm struggling with them being too thick and my filing is taking forever.
Attached are two pics of an acrylic overlay I did on myself practising trying to get the thickness right and the side view right... does this look right? I was taught to make them thicker than this but by the time I've added my gel polishes they are even thicker and my edges look horrible!

Any help or advice would be much appreciated :) thank u x

Attachments

• 20160508_100148.jpg
    20160508_100148.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 328
  • 20160508_100639.jpg
    20160508_100639.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 254
I think these look fab! I'd be a happy paying client!! I work from the tip too, in 3 zones, how I was taught, many moons ago!! If you look at some Gemma lambert videos it may help you with your ratio mix, if you feel if this is where your weakness is!? & just remember the golden rule that the brush acts as a barrier between the bead & your clients cuticle! Good luck, I'm sure you'll smash it!!! Xx

Breathe!

You need to take a step back and reassess - you have undertaken some training, they have taught you the tried and tested method of applying L&P to create perfectly balanced and shaped nails - trust in that and master it.

Current trend, and believe me in 13 years in this business change, ebb and flow like fashion trends, is to do 'reverse application' (start at cuticle and work downward) but most techs practising this method either use an Efile to can easily debulk or are very experienced and know exactly the right amount of product to apply in the first place for minimal final finish buffing. This knowledge was learnt from practising the original method you were taught.

I really don't understand the rationale behind putting lots of product on just to file it off when doing the 'reverse application' - waste of product (expensive) and time. Then there is the added expense of purchasing an efile. Better to perfect your product application and get it right first time. .......sculpt with your brush not your file as I was taught.

I know it's exciting and you want to learn everything immediately but you need to walk before you run

Practice, practise, practice but remember 'only perfect practise makes perfect' as a wise woman taught all us geeks (Geeg is her user name if you want to check out her hundreds of posts)

I think these look fab! I'd be a happy paying client!! I work from the tip too, in 3 zones, how I was taught, many moons ago!! If you look at some Gemma lambert videos it may help you with your ratio mix, if you feel if this is where your weakness is!? & just remember the golden rule that the brush acts as a barrier between the bead & your clients cuticle! Good luck, I'm sure you'll smash it!!! Xx
I've been watching her videos and they all make it look so easy! Yes that's what I've been trying to do, angle my brush at a 45 degrees angle and keep the acrylic behind the brush and hold the clients finger down. I am very new to acrylics but I just want to get it right as I get easily frustrated!! Thanks for your feedback xx

Breathe!

You need to take a step back and reassess - you have undertaken some training, they have taught you the tried and tested method of applying L&P to create perfectly balanced and shaped nails - trust in that and master it.

Current trend, and believe me in 13 years in this business change, ebb and flow like fashion trends, is to do 'reverse application' (start at cuticle and work downward) but most techs practising this method either use an Efile to can easily debulk or are very experienced and know exactly the right amount of product to apply in the first place for minimal final finish buffing. This knowledge was learnt from practising the original method you were taught.

I really don't understand the rationale behind putting lots of product on just to file it off when doing the 'reverse application' - waste of product (expensive) and time. Then there is the added expense of purchasing an efile. Better to perfect your product application and get it right first time. .......sculpt with your brush not your file as I was taught.

I know it's exciting and you want to learn everything immediately but you need to walk before you run

Practice, practise, practice but remember 'only perfect practise makes perfect' as a wise woman taught all us geeks (Geeg is her user name if you want to check out her hundreds of posts)

Yes exactly I want to practice doing it correctly and it's easy with someone by your side telling you exactly what to do and I have produced a couple of ok french sets but my main issue was cuticle area and then realising how thick they were and noticing all my mistakes when applying gel polish as this highlights it all!!
Thank you for your advise, I appreciate the time you have taken to help me :) xx

I just want to add my 2 pence worth and add that I am too newly qualified and just like you was taught from free edge to cuticle with the 3 zones

And trinity is totally right - perfect your application, I've finally just done a set and can say I'm really happy with the application and thickness from cuticle to free edge and minimal filling!! I have a e-file but I hate using it to take down bulk, it makes me feel crap about the application, so just practice practice practice! And then practice some more

Also remember these lovely people on here who's nails you look at and envy, most have been in the business far longer than us, we will reach that perfection at some point x

Try not to stress too much about it. It can be nerve racking initially.
I've been qualified a year now and it's only recently that I've only needed a quick shape and buff to finish mine off. Beforehand I'd need to file each nail to get the right shape.
I was also taught to apply them thicker but as long as you have the correct structure and ratio they will have the strength needed without them being thick.
Also apply your gel polish coats thinly. Better to have 3 thin ones than 2 thick.
Good luck and enjoy it x

Thanks for all your advise!! I have two sets to do this week (on people I know) so really going to concentrate on the cuticle area and not getting my acrylic application too thick to start with so it's not so much of a mission to file them. Will continue to start from free edge as I have been taught :) I am really new so.shouldnt be so hard on myself, but just want to get it right! :) x

They look fantastic! I must admit I did acrylic years ago and stopped because I compared them to other people's and thought they weren't as good! I went on a CND liquid & powder conversion course and wished I'd had the advice and support from my previous trainer they were so supportive and like me had a perfectionists view on everything which really boosted my confidence no end! There's always help if you need it so I do agree with everyone else that practice is key but if you still feel you need some extra help there's always conversion courses that can give you a boost x

They look fantastic! I must admit I did acrylic years ago and stopped because I compared them to other people's and thought they weren't as good! I went on a CND liquid & powder conversion course and wished I'd had the advice and support from my previous trainer they were so supportive and like me had a perfectionists view on everything which really boosted my confidence no end! There's always help if you need it so I do agree with everyone else that practice is key but if you still feel you need some extra help there's always conversion courses that can give you a boost x
Thank you xx I'm so keen to get it right so I'm not practicing bad habits and I want to be good!! I want to be able to offer them and be happy with offering the service by Sept when my youngest son starts school so I've got plenty of time to practice.

I think they look lovely xx .... i am still in training and have my assessment day on July 1st.... I've completed a set today and they're ok ish.... what i did for practice...over and over.... was....got some cheap nasty acrylic off feebay. ..and practice on nail tips... today i used the ibd acrylic system and love it.... it glides on so easily.... and gives you enough time to clean up the smile line etc... before it sets.... i dont think yours are thick. .. i think they look really nice....x

I think they look lovely xx .... i am still in training and have my assessment day on July 1st.... I've completed a set today and they're ok ish.... what i did for practice...over and over.... was....got some cheap nasty acrylic off feebay. ..and practice on nail tips... today i used the ibd acrylic system and love it.... it glides on so easily.... and gives you enough time to clean up the smile line etc... before it sets.... i dont think yours are thick. .. i think they look really nice....x

Thank you! Have you got a pic of the ones you did today? I've actually surprise myself as I thought that I would struggle and dread doing French but I don't find it too bad (never thought I'd say that!). I've been practising my cuticle application on myself, putting it on and wiping it off... also getting my liquid/powder ration and bead size right. I'm sure you are doing great, we are our own worse critiques aren't we xx

Thank you! Have you got a pic of the ones you did today? I've actually surprise myself as I thought that I would struggle and dread doing French but I don't find it too bad (never thought I'd say that!). I've been practising my cuticle application on myself, putting it on and wiping it off... also getting my liquid/powder ration and bead size right. I'm sure you are doing great, we are our own worse critiques aren't we xx
Bless you.... yes i have a picture....

There ok..... but the smile lines could be more consistent. ... however my client loves them.... and gave me a fat tip lols... i cant comment on other systems....but i do love ibd acrylic.... i also use their hard gel.... and gel polish. ....

There ok..... but the smile lines could be more consistent. ... however my client loves them.... and gave me a fat tip lols... i cant comment on other systems....but i do love ibd acrylic.... i also use their hard gel.... and gel polish. ....
I practice my smile lines on tips..I'm definately improving on them and I find French ok..I'm struggling on getting my side wall application and filing right so when I put on gel polish it isn't looking good at all. So frustrating, am hoping with practice practice practice it eventually comes to me... x

I've got my first acrylic client booked in next Friday: a) French set made with black acrylic on the tips and b) of all things, it's a male client! I am scared to death, quite honestly. He's been struggling to find someone to do the acrylics in private and I figured, hey, what do I care if it's a guy, it's business. He's even pre-paying me. I have been practicing like crazy but doing a real human who is paying me and is not my classmate or my friend who was my exam model and bribed with dinner to do it is a very different kettle of fish for sure.

My instructor was excellent and pushed for us to perfect our hand filing but not to be ashamed if we need to whip out the e-file and make it work for us when we need it. She has been a tech and educator for many years and was firm that we learned to apply acrylic from the free edge up.

Good luck, I'm in the same boat as you!

I've got my first acrylic client booked in next Friday: a) French set made with black acrylic on the tips and b) of all things, it's a male client! I am scared to death, quite honestly. He's been struggling to find someone to do the acrylics in private and I figured, hey, what do I care if it's a guy, it's business. He's even pre-paying me. I have been practicing like crazy but doing a real human who is paying me and is not my classmate or my friend who was my exam model and bribed with dinner to do it is a very different kettle of fish for sure.

My instructor was excellent and pushed for us to perfect our hand filing but not to be ashamed if we need to whip out the e-file and make it work for us when we need it. She has been a tech and educator for many years and was firm that we learned to apply acrylic from the free edge up.

Good luck, I'm in the same boat as you!
Aww let me know how you get on!! Share some pics. Good luck, I'm. Sure you'll be fine. How long have you been practicing for? I'm. No where near ready to have actually paying customers, friends are paying me a small fee just to cover costs etc at the mo. Am.hoping by Sept I'll be good enough to offer the service xx

Aww let me know how you get on!! Share some pics. Good luck, I'm. Sure you'll be fine. How long have you been practicing for? I'm. No where near ready to have actually paying customers, friends are paying me a small fee just to cover costs etc at the mo. Am.hoping by Sept I'll be good enough to offer the service xx

I'm the same as you. Practicing lots but no paying customers yet for acrylics, just natural nail care and pedicures so far. I figure I have to start sometime so off I go. He wants to be discreet about this so I'm not sure he'll let me take pictures but you never know.

And the client messaged me about the look he wants - he wants his acrylics to match his pedicure but he's now also contemplating glitter and what colours do I have!!! I wasn't expecting the glitter from a dude :p

I'm the same as you. Practicing lots but no paying customers yet for acrylics, just natural nail care and pedicures so far. I figure I have to start sometime so off I go. He wants to be discreet about this so I'm not sure he'll let me take pictures but you never know.

And the client messaged me about the look he wants - he wants his acrylics to match his pedicure but he's now also contemplating glitter and what colours do I have!!! I wasn't expecting the glitter from a dude :p
Ah yes good point so he may not feel comfortable about a photo. Sounds very challenging though... maybe not the easiest first set to do but good luck with it! Xx

Latest posts

Back