getting started

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gracy

nutty geek
Reaction score
hello all,
dont know what to do, i have everything set up at home to start, insured also.
now i cant say too much, but there could be a lot of clients floating about desperatly looking for nail techs.

do i bite the bullet and advertise and learn more as i am doing the nails? :cool:

do i wait and get as much training as possible then start? :|

at what point are you ready to get clients? :eek:

is it confidence or the lack of thats gets you out there doing nails? :o

You need to get going as soon as possible otherwise all the self doubts begin to creep in and you start to think you`ll never be ready.
Put some flyers in shop windows, doctors surgery, playschools even round the houses. You`ll be going in no time.
Good luck

Hi

I just started up last week, rented a room with a Beauty Therapist but first advertised in the local shops and had an open evening where people could pop in and meet us and view the treatments on offer. We also offered a 10% discount for anyone making an appointment on the night. We have also made up a leaflet of all our services and prices and posted them around the houses.

Hope this is off help.
I was really nervous at first as i think most people doubt themselves - but you'll never know until you try.

Shelley:)

After my training I was really nervous to start with (still am sometimes) and felt a bit like I was out of my depth so I rang round a load of salons and asked if I could get any work experience. Most refused but one allowed me to observe their technician (no hands on experience unfortunately) just for an afternoon. Whilst I didn't actually learn anything I didn't already know I was so shocked at how 'bad' the technician was that it made me realise that I was actually a lot better than I thought I was - and this girl had been doing it for about 3 years in a reasonably reputable salon - hope that makes sense!

Good luck you'll be fine.

I feel for you. Your first "real" client is very scary!! I practiced first on my mates, family etc. I agree with Debs, that you have to get started otherwise the self doubt can really set in.

I had about 1000 leaflets printed which I dropped on Sunday afternoon's through local letter boxes (nothing else comes through the door at that time and people are not rushing about). I also walked down our High Street and went into everywhere that had lots of women working there - travel agents, hairdressers, clothes shops etc. I gave them all a few leaflets and a little patter (make sure your nails are perfect when you do this).

Also, check out your local supermarkets. Safeways, Budgens, Tesco and others will let you put up small posters on their notice boards or business cards in a rack for nothing.

Then sit back and wait for the calls ;)

When I first started it took me about two and a half to three hours per set. I warned customers about this. It was therefore important for me only to have one in the morning and one in the afternoon for the first few weeks.

My only regret is that I didn't know about this site when I started. The tips I have picked up from here have been fantastic.

Good luck, Go for it!!

thanks everyone for your advice i think i AM gonna bite the bullet, sink or swim :eek:

shropshiredawn said:
hello all,
dont know what to do, i have everything set up at home to start, insured also.
now i cant say too much, but there could be a lot of clients floating about desperatly looking for nail techs.

do i bite the bullet and advertise and learn more as i am doing the nails? :cool:

do i wait and get as much training as possible then start? :|

at what point are you ready to get clients? :eek:

is it confidence or the lack of thats gets you out there doing nails? :o
As I said in Chat tonight......Go and get em girl..........
You can still train and work,babe !!!!!!!!!!!!!
The training and learning never stops..........
Why not offer a special opening offer..........
reduce your prices for say a month...............give it a date limit....
By then you will have done a few sets and have had your nervous period...........
There is nothing like baptism by fire.............just go and do it.............
You know your stuff....you just need confidence to show it off !!!!!!!!!!!!
So goodl uck and happy swimming babe !!!!!

And you've already got one guaranteed customer in about two weeks when my nails are ready to come off...<smile>

Angela
xx

thanks angela, i`m looking forward to it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back