Getting the clients, easy - keeping them is a whole different ball game!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlalouise

Reaction score
Hi all

I've done leaflet drops over the last few years as well as other forms of advertising, with the leaflets I offer a 20% discount off their first visit and this has always worked really well BUT even though the client always seems really happy with the treatments it's only a real small percentage that come back!!

I've beaten myself up over this, thinking because I'm home based clients do not like it, however this is always pointed out on my leaflet and I've always had compliments on my room, I've also thought maybe it's something I'm doing wrong but again I don't think I have ever had a complaint. My husband said the 20% offer attracts the wrong type of client, he feels that I'm attracting the bargain hunters (groupon types) that go from one salon to another and are never going to be loyal, so really what I'm asking you guy's is, do you think he's right and if so should I do a leaflet without any type of discount??

Any thoughts, suggestions or constructive criticism would be appreciated!:biggrin:

How about rewarding loyal clients - do you already do a loyalty scheme? If not may be put one in place and shout about that on your flyers? Or perhaps recommend a friend and get money off your NEXT treatment?
Kx

Hi

I'm not sure about your 20% off - it seems great and if people are serious about having regular treatments then it shouldn't matter if they get 20% off or not.

Me personally, I give 20% discount off of their 2nd treatment - a little incentive for them to rebook - plus I have a loyalty scheme - buy 5 get 6th free - so after their 2nd treatment they don't have long to go before they get a freebie - although in hindsight I now wish i'd done buy 5 get 6th half price - as i'm mobile and going out of the house, using petrol and time for nothing isn't very rewarding for me although it's great for the client and they deserve a freebie as they have probably spent well over £100 by the time they are entitled to it.

But your husband might be right on the bargain hunter front - i'd say reward loyal customers more x

leaflet dropping can have a very low response rate :sad: I still do it though! as it keeps me fit and doesnt cost much! :biggrin:

What i do for my husbands leaflets (which im going to do to mine next year) is in dec/jan i design a leaflet that has a calender on with special promos and reminders on - in the hope they put it on the fridge and keep looking at it!

what other ways do you advertise? social networking is definatly the way forward! x

How about a graduated discount? 20% off first app, 10% off 2nd app, 5% off 3rd then switch them to a loyalty scheme? Gets them in the habit of coming to you?

Hi all

I've done leaflet drops over the last few years as well as other forms of advertising, with the leaflets I offer a 20% discount off their first visit and this has always worked really well BUT even though the client always seems really happy with the treatments it's only a real small percentage that come back!!

I've beaten myself up over this, thinking because I'm home based clients do not like it, however this is always pointed out on my leaflet and I've always had compliments on my room, I've also thought maybe it's something I'm doing wrong but again I don't think I have ever had a complaint. My husband said the 20% offer attracts the wrong type of client, he feels that I'm attracting the bargain hunters (groupon types) that go from one salon to another and are never going to be loyal, so really what I'm asking you guy's is, do you think he's right and if so should I do a leaflet without any type of discount??

Any thoughts, suggestions or constructive criticism would be appreciated!:biggrin:

Do you think it might be partly a sign of the times?

In contrast with ten years ago, there are so many salons on the high street now, techs within other places like hairdressers and tatoo parlours, mobile techs etc.. it might be more just a case of convinience and the addition of more choice on the high street?

Just a thought on the bigger picture

i think as a clients point of view if i saw one advertised and said loyalty scheme get x amount of discount after so many treatments or what ever i would be more drawen to that as in the long run works out better i have more incentive to come back and will feel rewarded for being your client, as for what your doing now i kind of agree with your husband and you will get those people who will only go some where for the discount, i have fone this a few times eeekk lol but just because i thought i dont want to waste tge offer lol , so id say defo do a reward scheme i think this will be better than offering the instant 20% off x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Do you use email/text marketing with these clients?
Do you try to cross sell to clients, or have any products/services that involve treatments at set intervals? If so do you suggest booking these follow up appointments when they are in front of you?

I find it a lot easier to upsell and maximise revenue from a client that is in front of me having a treatment then getting them through the door.
Having said all the above I do not hard sell, I hate being on the receiving end of it and wouldn't be able to do it myself. I use a consultative selling approach and try think about the after care service I offer clients. Customer service, utilising customer data and managing customer expectations is key to repeat visits.

Loyalty card all the way, say they get five treatments and money off a sixth? You just sign it every time they come and that gets people rebooking. Oh and set up a facebook page, get your clients to add/like you and then when they are checking their facebook page they will see you pop up with pics etc and they will be reminded you are there. It will pick up! x

Not sure, I'm home based and keep most of them. You get the odd one you lose over the years which is sad, but I always welcome back them even if some people I don't see for 5 years! I take it you don't have your kids running about or your husband being too much on the scene as I have heard this can put off some client from other places. Even though I have work from home I would never leave my child unattended and have him at nursery or babysat away from the home, if im working late my mum takes my son overnight. I know some therapist don't and it can be off putting for clients. House should be spotless always (like a salon) definitely no piles of ironing and such like some people are fussy! Wear a uniform. Have what a salon have (if you can budget for it) e.g good product range, good quality stock and you keeping up with training.

I owned a shop for many years before working from home and they both have to be worked exactly the same.

Although you do get the odd cheap skate, but if your offering a treatment of quality they won't get elsewhere they should come back.

I wish I could offer you more help is it an affluent area you live in?

Hopefully this does not sound offensive, but these basic things should be in place when working from home and that has been the only thing that seems to put clients of home based treatments.

Not sure, I'm home based and keep most of them. You get the odd one you lose over the years which is sad, but I always welcome back them even if some people I don't see for 5 years! I take it you don't have your kids running about or your husband being too much on the scene as I have heard this can put off some client from other places. Even though I have work from home I would never leave my child unattended and have him at nursery or babysat away from the home, if im working late my mum takes my son overnight. I know some therapist don't and it can be off putting for clients. House should be spotless always (like a salon) definitely no piles of ironing and such like some people are fussy! Wear a uniform. Have what a salon have (if you can budget for it) e.g good product range, good quality stock and you keeping up with training.

I owned a shop for many years before working from home and they both have to be worked exactly the same.

Some excellent advise here :)

I do feel that SOME (not all) people who have home based salons think that because it's in their home, they can let some things slip but I think with a home based salon you have to go that extra mile to look professional.

Hi
I'm home based and mobile and so far (touch wood) i've not lost anyone and everyone i've done has brought me a new client by showing off their nails and lashes. I give my new clients a welcome pack with a few freebies and some vouchers in it. I include a recommend a friend voucher for 20% off a future treatment and a couple of £2.00 off vouchers, promotional pens and fridge magnets (with my salon details on them), hand cream etc. Treat every client as if they are your number one client. Make sure you always do a fab job and be as helpful and friendly as possible. Hope things pick up for you soon. keep smiling!! :) x

Hi, there's some really great ideas here and for my part, I don't think that a discount carries the same weight as it used to and I think from a psychology perspective, people have become immune or desensitized to discounting and the value seems to be lost in their minds ie if they are chasing the bargain then they're not necessarily thinking long term or loyalty. My strategy is to add value rather than discount and by that I mean, charge full price but add other things in - from free treatments, to products to cross-promotional vouchers with other businesses, to information, a welcome package...and even just giving good service makes a big difference these days...there's a myriad of ways to approach it. Added value will win over discounting.

Hi
I'm home based and mobile and so far (touch wood) i've not lost anyone and everyone i've done has brought me a new client by showing off their nails and lashes. I give my new clients a welcome pack with a few freebies and some vouchers in it. I include a recommend a friend voucher for 20% off a future treatment and a couple of £2.00 off vouchers, promotional pens and fridge magnets (with my salon details on them), hand cream etc. Treat every client as if they are your number one client. Make sure you always do a fab job and be as helpful and friendly as possible. Hope things pick up for you soon. keep smiling!! :) x

pinkeedee, where did you get your promotional pens from? X :)

pinkeedee, where did you get your promotional pens from? X :)
I got them from vistaprint on offer at 10 for £10.00. They aren't particularly cheap but you get to design the pen and put all your contact details on it so if clients use them at work other people see them. The fridge magnets were free from vistaprint, i just paid for postage. x

I just got charged £4.99 for a pen from vistaprint!

If you get an offer they are fab for magnets and things. Only thing I don't like is that the loyalty cards I want have 10 stamps and I only want 5 but can't figure out how to change it.

I love the idea of the welcome packs though. Think that's a lovely touch and would really bring them back.

Latest posts

Back