Gigi's wise words

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lunaberry

Reaction score
Once again I feel so grateful to have the opportunity to read Greg's words of wisdom on this site and want to thank her and Salon Geek.

About a month back I remember reading a post where she had explained why she doesn't work Christmas Eve and putting family first etc.

Due to health reasons I only do nails 2-3 days a week and I also sadly suddenly lost my Mum in July so it hasn't been the easiest of times. I have about 20 lovely ladies who come regularly for their nails. They all understands and book in plenty of time in advance so that I can manage the week. As I am struggling a bit I decided to just make these ladies my priority this December and so have told others I can not do them.

I have had some very disgruntled comments from so called friends who can not understand why I won't fit them in when they know I am not working. I know they know that I do not work full time and so I can understand that maybe this makes it hard to see why I can't do their nails as in their eyes I am free. But at the same time they know my situation and it's not as if they come on a regular basis. I. December I put a Facebook post up to say I was running out of spaces for nails. But still this week I have random people I haven't seen for a year wanting me to get them in this week. I've been told 'I can do them Friday/Sunday night', a beauty therapists answer when I said I was up to my limit of what I could do said 'well I'm full so you would have had to do them when I'm free anyway'. And many other comments.

I hate saying no to people and letting them down so I've been feeling bad and wondering am I cutting off my nose to spite my face.
But then I keep remembering Geeg's words and how you can not get back those missed memories with family and loved ones and I feel so much better for sticking to my guns.

I am glad I am putting those close to me first and not making myself Ill for what's going to be a tough Christmas for the sake of people who wouldn't appreciate it.
Huge thanks Gigi and salon geek for keeping me strong!!

Apologies if this isn't really an appropriate thread I just wanted to share my little warm glow xx

Bless you, you've had a tough year, I'm glad you've taken Geeg's wise words to heart and are sticking to your guns :hug:

I have no doubt that those who haven't been in touch for several months will just easily cancel their appointment if something comes up with little or no regard for the impact on you. Those who have been loyal are worth their weight in gold and you have done your best for them.

In my first year (before Geeg posted her wise words) I booked a full day on Christmas eve and not one of them turned up :rolleyes: Reasons ranged from M&S changing their turkey collection time, to broken false teeth and just plain fogot (read couldn't be bothered). Now I too finish the day before Christmas eve, in fact even sooner this year and don't worry at all. All my lovely regulars are in and done before I go so I go with a happy heart and enjoy my peace and quiet.

Have a lovely break and good luck for 2014 :hug:

Ladies. . do what suits you . .I however would gladly work Christmas day let alone Christmas Eve. ..! Do you think I am miserable. .ha ha

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

virtues you are so funny lol

I too have made Monday 23rd my last working day, I also make sure in about October that I have Christmas bookings made by all my regular clients who support me all through the year, before I book in any non-regulars or random people or friends who aren't really except they are when they want their nails done, iykwim!

Christmas Eve I shall spend with my 2 teenage daughters, making mince pies and pigs in blankets, with the Glee Christmas CD on loud and singing our heads off lol, and prepping the veg....they aren't big fans through the year but at Christmas we do this funny production line thing with, say, 1st person top and tailing carrots, 2nd person peeling said carrots, 3rd person chopping, all stood in a line, trying to keep up with each other or actually go faster than the next person, silly but funny !! and at 14 and 16 I'm cherishing the time they still want to spend with me.

Then we go to our local church for the nativity service which we always do and come home for tea.

Gigi's words were wise indeed.

I would be 'shot at dawn ' by my hubby if I worked Christmas eve, so my choice is made for me :biggrin:

This is the first Xmas and new year off for 11 years and I plan to enjoy it.

I also got all of my regulars booked in months in advance so they all have the appointment they wanted.

I have a few slots left on the week up to Xmas but already I've turned away a number of clients who wanted apps xmas eve or on the 3 days before ( sorry but they went months ago).

Usually I feel guilty but not now. If people are silly enough to assume you can book in last min for an Xmas appointment then get the hump when it's not available then that's their fault)
All of my clients are lovely but I also know that if other things come up in their world they cancel without any thought to me / so this year it's about me and my family for the first time in 11 years.

I had an irregular client text me last Sunday night asking if I would do a mani and pedi for her next Sunday. I replied to her that I don't work Sundays. She text back asking if I could do either Friday after 5pm or sometime on Saturday. Yes, I said, I could do the Friday or Saturday at 9:30. Did I get a response? No.

Wednesday I text her and ask her which appointment she has decided on, I need to know as diary filling up. "Oh, I'll leave it for now thanks, when are you working over Christmas?"

"I'm flipping NOT!" The cheek!!:mad: she can find someone else.

I too am finishing Monday 23rd. No exceptions. Thanks Geeg! I read those wise words too.

Ladies. . do what suits you . .I however would gladly work Christmas day let alone Christmas Eve. ..! Do you think I am miserable. .ha ha

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Nobody mentioned miserable:lol: bah humbug :lick:

Trin aka Ghost of Christmas Past and Scrooge's best mate :wink2:

I'm finishing on Saturday 21st.
One client said to me after her treatment she would come and knock on my door if she needed me over Xmas!

I work from home so have warned hubby I will not be answering the door while I'm off and I jokingly but meaningly said to her if she done that I'd just call the police to her, who would think she was mad and section her!!!

Hopefully the message got through, time will tell!!

I work in corporate land. Doing nails next weekend but that's not counted cos I love the company of the ladies.
I have 16 days off *wiggle wiggle jig jig* :biggrin:

My last day is the 23rd as I'm at my employed job on Xmas eve. Have booked a couple in 28th and 30th but not busting a gut any more. Yes I love the money but I want to enjoy the few days with my family. If clients go elsewhere then they really weren't that loyal. I've been posting about Christmas since beginning of November they had plenty of chances.

I'm in New Years eve but off from Christmas Eve till then ... anybody else working between Christmas and New Year?

I think I might work the 28th and then open again the Monday Tuesday of new yeas week!! Xx

Nicola! Xxx

I too listened to Gigi's words about Xmas eve....leven though this is my first Xmas in my new salon I am finishing on the 21st, I am choc a next week and keep adding hours but I will still finish on the 21st and have Xmas with my family!!

I too listened to Gigi's words about Xmas eve....leven though this is my first Xmas in my new salon I am finishing on the 21st, I am choc a next week and keep adding hours but I will still finish on the 21st and have Xmas with my family!!

I daren't let my husband read GiGi post! I am working Xmas and New Year's Eve. As I have really slogged myself this year and will do the same next to get what I want to achieve.
And Souz, brilliant news on the salon front!xx

I love working Christmas eve morning, finishing at 12. Everyone's always happy and excited and there is always a good atmosphere. That said I'm not actually working this year due to my health. Boy do I miss it. :rolleyes:

Great thread!
I'm working 12 hour days next week so my last working day is 21st (half day) - all my regular clients booked weeks/months ago so that is my main priority. I did the same last year and it worked really well and time to get sorted for Christmas, bonus!
Merry Christmas 😃 x

I daren't let my husband read GiGi post! I am working Xmas and New Year's Eve. As I have really slogged myself this year and will do the same next to get what I want to achieve.
And Souz, brilliant news on the salon front!

Thanks Hun, salon is going better than even I could of anticipated!!

Latest posts

Back