"Ginger roots"

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miss_eve

Senior Stylist
Reaction score
Hi geeks,

Need some advice as to why this may have happened.
I have a friend who has a natural base of a 5. She has a lot of warmth in her natural hair.
About a year ago she had an ombré service done and has spent almost a year growing her hair with no colour services as she's been pregnant. She wanted to colour her hair to a medium brown ash all over to cover the remaining ombré. She has no grey but I chose to use Wella Koleston 6/1 30vol as you can achieve up to 2 levels of lift as well as cover any remaining ombré (which I cut most of away anyway.
I did this service on Monday so 4 days ago and she has only just washed it tonight. She has sent me a picture and it looks as if about a cm of root has faded and warmed back up again.... Leaving her with a root glow. I have no idea why this has happened and I would appreciate some advice, should I reapply?

Thanks geeks

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1452888947.627554.jpg
this is the picture she sent

Right so she's a natural level 5 and wants to be a 6?

You wouldn't need to use 30vol for only one level of lift, 5 to 6.
Maybe that's where it went wrong ?
I would have used 20vol.

Also did you do a virgin application or paint straight on the roots first?

Your choice of developer made no sense to me. You exposed underlying pigments and stressed her lightened ends. What was the idea using 30 vol?

I would have thought seeing she had no grey colour touch might have been an option ? Esp on the already lightened ends?

Hi geeks,

Thanks for all your responses.
Yes she's a natural 5 and wanted to be a 6.
I chose to use koleston instead of colour touch to achieve the lift as with the choice of 30vol instead of 20vol... I appreciate that this may not have been necessary. I painted mid lengths and ends first and then went into the roots. I cut her stressed ends off, however exposing her underlying pigments could be why her natural warmth came through.
However after all that she decided that she actually really liked the colour once she had blow dried it.
But thank you again for bringing to my attention that it's not necessary rouse a 30vol developer in this instance.
X

Hi geeks,

I chose to use koleston instead of colour touch to achieve the lift as with the choice of 30vol instead of 20vol... I appreciate that this may not have been necessary. I painted mid lengths and ends first and then went into the roots. I cut her stressed ends off, however exposing her underlying pigments could be why her natural warmth came through.
However after all that she decided that she actually really liked the colour once she had blow dried it.
But thank you again for bringing to my attention that it's not necessary rouse a 30vol developer in this instance.
X
In my experience with developers 10vol = 1level of lift or deposit only, 20vol = 2 levels of lift also optimum white coverage, 30vol = 3 levels of lift optimum warmth of colour expression on dark bases vivid colour results with warm colours on level 5,6,7 bases and clean blonde result on cool level 8 and 9 base. 40vol = 4 levels of lift on base 6

Hi geeks,

X

You could also offer to glaze with colour touch if it starts fading a bit more.

Id defo use colour touch if she's having it coloured for the first time in a while no need to use koleston, again 20vol like they have all said I'd have also used something more gold to blend more with the ombré as it starts to fade so mayb 6.3? Even 6.03 x

Latest posts

Back