Gingery Roots! Help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaneRussell

Reaction score
Hello

I went to the hairdresser yesterday to get my roots done- I have bleach on the scalp & then a toner.

This is the 3rd time I have been to this particular salon- the first time she left the roots a bit gingery but the overall tone was nice, the second time I tried one of the other girls who did the roots well but left the whole lot looking a bit yellow (like in my pic!) so I went back to the initial girl & just explained that she had left the roots a bit gingery so could she make sure this doesnt happen again please.. :irked:

It looked fine when I left the shop but now i'm inspecting it one side of the hairline is a bit gingery (looks like i've got orange make up in my hairline!) & also if i change my parting it is very light gingery in places!! :eek:

Does anyone have any advice (apart from not going there again!!) as to something i can buy to try & get rid of the gingery bits?

I'm not a hairdresser so I can't mix any potions up unfortunately! I was thinking maybe a good toner I can buy? I really don't want to go back & sit for another 3 hours while she corrects it but also it will drive me mad for the next 4 weeks if i leave it!

I am getting really stressed not being able to find a hairdresser who is any good at colouring my hair- I live near Canary Wharf if anyone has any suggestions for a salon/stylist?

Thanks in advance

Jane :green:

Hello

I went to the hairdresser yesterday to get my roots done- I have bleach on the scalp & then a toner.

This is the 3rd time I have been to this particular salon- the first time she left the roots a bit gingery but the overall tone was nice, the second time I tried one of the other girls who did the roots well but left the whole lot looking a bit yellow (like in my pic!) so I went back to the initial girl & just explained that she had left the roots a bit gingery so could she make sure this doesnt happen again please.. :irked:

It looked fine when I left the shop but now i'm inspecting it one side of the hairline is a bit gingery (looks like i've got orange make up in my hairline!) & also if i change my parting it is very light gingery in places!! :eek:

Does anyone have any advice (apart from not going there again!!) as to something i can buy to try & get rid of the gingery bits?

I'm not a hairdresser so I can't mix any potions up unfortunately! I was thinking maybe a good toner I can buy? I really don't want to go back & sit for another 3 hours while she corrects it but also it will drive me mad for the next 4 weeks if i leave it!

I am getting really stressed not being able to find a hairdresser who is any good at colouring my hair- I live near Canary Wharf if anyone has any suggestions for a salon/stylist?

Thanks in advance

Jane :green:

Hi , this is a fab product and fast too ,
you may find a hairdresser who is willing order this in for you and to do it in their salon ,

( For the hairdresser ) if you want to bring the hair up to a nice light creamy blonde without any orange tones and without burning the scalp ,

you could try a special oil bleach Gel especially made for on the scalp applications its called proclere oil bleach
it is very gentle and you only need to use 6% with it ( full ratio instructions are in pack )

first you bring the roots up to a nice creamy blonde
just like the inside of a banana skin ,
(it has got to get just past that baby chicken yellow stage )
but not too white either,

then wash off
and tone with a toner of your choice from the proclere toner range especially made for bleached hair ,
or a wella colour fresh 0/6 in silver
the toner ranges mentioned are safe and ever so gentle on bleached hair and you wont get any grab with them either,

(full instructions are in the box)

This bleach gel it is kind to your hair and scalp and does not itch or burn :hug:

never take bleach or lighteners
through the ends of the hair
as it will always get dry and damaged whether it is bleach or a high lift tint

Maybe I should print off your instructions & take them in! I am really annoyed that despite saying PLEASE DONT LEAVE MY ROOTS GINGER AGAIN she has obviously still used the same thing as the first time?!

Also she must have chosen a REALLY ash toner as I could hear them mumbling behind me then going to the cupboard & getting another toner out! I asked what they were doing & she said its gone a bit TOO ash so i'm trying to get rid of it a bit..

I do look a bit like a blue rinsed granny with ginger roots!

LOL

Maybe I should print off your instructions & take them in! I am really annoyed that despite saying PLEASE DONT LEAVE MY ROOTS GINGER AGAIN she has obviously still used the same thing as the first time?!

Also she must have chosen a REALLY ash toner as I could hear them mumbling behind me then going to the cupboard & getting another toner out! I asked what they were doing & she said its gone a bit TOO ash so i'm trying to get rid of it a bit..

I do look a bit like a blue rinsed granny with ginger roots!

LOL

Hi yes, I know what you mean ,
a lot of salons tend to use tints for toners , which is great and they do make good toners
but they they do need a watch full eye on them especially if they are to be taken through the ends,

your hairdresser really does need to get the ginger out of it first so it will stay a nice cool blonde for you ,

on pure blonde hair like yours I love to use the Wella colour FRESH toner in 0/6 silver or 8/81 light pearl ash both are colour FRESH
( the proclere range of toners are fab too ),
the great thing about Wella colour FRESH toners they dont have any ammonia or peroxide in them at all
and they make the hair really shiny ,
you can use them as much as required to refresh the hair ,
as they are pure and full of conditioners

and the best thing is that you dont get grab on the ends of the hair , which is fab , and all the instructions for toning are in the box ,

I am sure you will find a hairdresser who will order the bleach and toners in for you ,
it may cost you a bit more though,
because it is a little more expensive than ordinary bleach ,
good luck minky :hug: x

Hi Minky!

Thanks for all your tips- do you think it would be rude for me to print them & take it to a hairdresser? It sounds like you actually know your stuff where as I have gone to so many hair dressers for the last few years & they never do it well?

Have gone to expensive-middle range-ridiculously expensive-cheap looking for 'the hairdresser' and so far I haven't been happy! ONCE I had a good experience but the salon is in a diff country!

Jane x

Hi Minky!

Thanks for all your tips- do you think it would be rude for me to print them & take it to a hairdresser? It sounds like you actually know your stuff where as I have gone to so many hair dressers for the last few years & they never do it well?

Have gone to expensive-middle range-ridiculously expensive-cheap looking for 'the hairdresser' and so far I haven't been happy! ONCE I had a good experience but the salon is in a diff country!

Jane x

Hi , I know I wouldnt be offended , I would welcome it , :hug:
but then some hairdressers may have a different point of veiw to me ,
and may be a bit touchy about it :confused:

I see what you mean though,

perhaps some other hairdressers on here could tell us how they would feel about it too ?
:hug: x minky

i wouldnt be offended if someone came in with a list of toners that u wud like to try, but the word for word instructions may put my nose out of joint, but in saying that i wopuldnt send someone out with hair less than perfect haha, if they werent happy id rather run late than get a bad name for myself. . xx

We hve clients that travel south for the winter so when they come home, they come with a list of what was used on them so we can match it. On the flip side, if we have a client who is moving or stops in only one time (not from area) we will send their formula with them.

I don't mind a bit, step by step instructions I'll take with a grain of salt, but that's because I'll use the manufacturer's directions and experience, which I would be happy to explain as I go. In our setting, we usually end up explaining enough so that even the client begins to understand, I'm sure that some of our summer clients are annoying to their winter stylist!!

hi i have the same problem it gets so tireing it makes me want to go back dark could i just ask is ur natural base quiet dark like mine ? i am wondering weather to take this advise also but am worried about the 6 percnt bleach if it would lift my hair as i am a dark brown with alot of warmthy in my hair !! either way could u let me know how u get on if u decide to have it done ? i am having high lights at the moment cus sick of having ginger roots but i cant stand that when i have them done it still looks like i need my hair roots done even thogh iv just ad high lights in im desperate for a solution and and hair is getting knockered through trying different techniques thanks hope i havn't hijacked ur thred ! any advise would be so welcome thanks! x

hi i have the same problem it gets so tireing it makes me want to go back dark could i just ask is ur natural base quiet dark like mine ? i am wondering weather to take this advise also but am worried about the 6 percnt bleach if it would lift my hair as i am a dark brown with alot of warmthy in my hair !! either way could u let me know how u get on if u decide to have it done ? i am having high lights at the moment cus sick of having ginger roots but i cant stand that when i have them done it still looks like i need my hair roots done even thogh iv just ad high lights in im desperate for a solution and and hair is getting knockered through trying different techniques thanks hope i havn't hijacked ur thred ! any advise would be so welcome thanks! x

Hi , its just that youre hair is so dark,
and using any brand of bleach no matter how fab

The amount of lift reqiured to get it really light blonde with no orangey tones from a very dark base
will always compromise the condition of your hair

sorry ladylou, if its not what you wanted to hear :hug:

Hi Jane,

Try Amber Woods at seanhanna Canary Wharf. She trained me and she's brilliant - also she wears her hair the same as you so she's a bit of an expert! :green:

pssst this thread is from last spring lol :hug:

Latest posts

Back