Gipsys

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zaza

Reaction score
Hi all i am a mobile beauty therapist and have a client tonight for two sets of extensions (mother and daughter) she gave me her address which is on a road which is mostly gipsy houses, now on the phone she didnt sound like a gipsy but they are renound for not paying for treatments. when she phoned there was a list of treatments she wanted but cos its an evening appointment i said i would do some tonight and some tomorrowotherwise i would be working into the early hours of the morning. i have done some gipsys before and they were really nice but its the few that give the rest a bad reputation. i am really nervous about going and even thought about cancelling at one point, i also dont want to ask for the money upfront cos it sounds cheeky. any suggestions would be great.
thanks, Zoe. x

Hi Zoe

Most of my clients pay before me doing their nails due to the fact of putting their hands into their pockets or purse.
I don't see it as cheeky at all. Just say before you start if they would prepher to pay before hand so they don't smudge the nails.

hiya

i would ask for payment first saying something like 'most clients prefer to pay first so that they don't risk smudging their nails once they are done, is that ok with you? if she says no i would be a bit wary!
zaza said:
Hi all i am a mobile beauty therapist and have a client tonight for two sets of extensions (mother and daughter) she gave me her address which is on a road which is mostly gipsy houses, now on the phone she didnt sound like a gipsy but they are renound for not paying for treatments. when she phoned there was a list of treatments she wanted but cos its an evening appointment i said i would do some tonight and some tomorrowotherwise i would be working into the early hours of the morning. i have done some gipsys before and they were really nice but its the few that give the rest a bad reputation. i am really nervous about going and even thought about cancelling at one point, i also dont want to ask for the money upfront cos it sounds cheeky. any suggestions would be great.
thanks, Zoe. x

i have to say that i personally wouldnt like to be asked for payment before ide even recieved my treatment, guess thats just me. You wouldnt go to the hairdressers and pay upfront, incase you werent happy with the finished result.

Not to be rude or anything, but what the hell does a gypsy sound like? :?:

The majority of clients are happy and indeed sometimes offer to pay beforehand, so as to avoid the risk of smudging their nails.

She shouldn't be offended by your making this suggestion but if she is, then you should perhaps be just a little wary.

Ask for payment first just say that you do not want her to damage her nails after she has had them done looking through her purse for money.

If she did readings like a lot Gypsy's do she would have the money from you first! before she started the reading.

I am sure all will be fine.

Caz xxx

I usually just say to new clients "I do the payment and next appointment bookings before I get started so that you don't ruin your polish/new nails before I've even left your house!!" Then get your cash box out and your diary....they normally say "ohh that's a good idea I didn't think about smudging etc"

I did have one lady say she'd rather pay afterwards and so I said that she should get the money now and put it on the table so that her nails aren't ruined, but it meant that she hadn't actually handed any cash over before 'receiving the goods'.

I learnt from a previous nightmare with a client who decided she had no money in her bag after I had done a manicure and pedicure.

Hope this makes sense.

CarrieW said:
Not to be rude or anything, but what the hell does a gypsy sound like? :?:

That's what I was thinking too????????????????????

Sorry bit lost what do you mean?

Thanks
Caz

Sal said:

I have romany gypsy in my family and some of them do talk very different, all i can say is have you seen the film Snatch..!

Sal said:

perhaps you could take someone with you. i've been taken for a mug by a non payer before, but its difficult to ask for cash up front. the not spoiling your nails tip is the best ploy.

zaza said:
thanks, Zoe. x

Right I don't think the problem is that they are gipsies, don't want to give any race or creed a bad name lol do we !!!!
I think the real problem is, that they are clients from an area where, non payment is the problem and I am sure that is what Zoe means.......before we get a flood of posts about racist remarks lol...........

Now here is a thought, as it is a large job at hand so to speak, maybe a friend can come with you and help you out a little.....you know prep not fully prep, but maybe apply cuticle remover pass on tools, if you get my drift..... that way it doesn't look like you are scared or worried, but a professional that has a little helper.....

Also taking money before, if asked in a clever way, this will not be a problem......
The previous suggestions are great.... I would take two little mini bottles of solar oil, ask for the money up front and give them the bottles with a comment like, let me give you these before I forget, this fab oil and will keep your nails in tip top condition....... This way they wont feel like they have given you the money to soon, as they are receiving something in return of up front payment.................
HTH
LOL I wrote this as the grand daughter of a hungarian gypsy.... I grew up to the sound of the csardas......

My boyfriend is part Romany, and all of his Romany family are lovely honest people - what a lot of people confuse them with is travellers (which is entirely different). All I meant was, I didn't understand your 'they didn't sound like gypsies' comment.

Yes I also have had great Gypsy friends well still have also have a lot of X travellers around this area which one of my daughters are friends with they all seem fine.

I think you have been given great advice from us all and I bet it all goes well.

Caz xxx

I totally agree with all the advice given - I make all clients pay before I do their nails (well, most of the time!!) - this saves embarrassment with any clients at all.

I agree with Ruth, we don`t want to turn this into something racial, you need to focus on non paying clients rather than where they live.
I think taking a friend for support is a good idea, the paying up front is always an option but I think if someone doesn`t want to pay and they come to you not alone then they could always demand their money back after the treatment and depending on how they are things could get ugly, I have seen this myself and wouldn`t want anyone else to go through that.
While I don`t want to scare you, I would feel happier you having someone there with you and like Ruth says, she could help you by doing some prep.
At the end of the day, you just may be panicking over nothing and these clients could be wonderful ladies and become loyal life long clients.
Just do your best and if things go wrong chalk it up to experience and do it different next time. Good luck

i love the taking the friend along idea !!

I too have clients that almost insist on payment first....smudging the nails is a big no no so they are happy to get this out of the way.

i remember doing a lady once (and her two daughters) at the same time...come the end of the treatment we had a haggling match about the price which i had already discounted...!!! Headache!!!!!

Establish all the prices first and just ask if she would like to get that out of the way, i know this can be uncomfortable somethimes though!!

Dont worry i normally 'stress' about situations like this and when you get there its fine!!

Good luck

Ambxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Debs said:
I agree with Ruth, we don`t want to turn this into something racial, you need to focus on non paying clients rather than where they live.

This is what I was meaning when I questioned "they didn't sound like gypsies".

I agree with Debs and Ruth.

I really don't think anyone is being racial in any way but i can understand totally were ppl are comming from. My hubbies parents our Romany and my sister married into Romanies too. But i can fully understand why ppl would be nervous about this situation especially if past events have happend before.

On a person level i have had a traveler offer to place an axe into my head..! On that note i didn't take the money and left very quickly.

This post is not racial in anyway shape or form all i am saying is i to would be very nervous too and i would take someone with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back