Givin the dog a bone

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Geek

Grand Master Geek
Premium Geek
Reaction score
Whew.

Last night's BBC Watchdog segment on MMA has stirred up a poop load of activity.
I felt the segment was very good for the restraints they had on the piece (i.e. only 10 minutes for the segment). They only used a tiny sliver of the interview with myself as otherwise it would of turned into an hour long segment.

Last night we had a butt load of people visiting the site and popping into the chat room to discuss the program and MMA in general. This morning I have been inundated with telephone calls and emails regarding the same.

Some of the points I wanted to clarify are as follows:

How do I tell if my product contains MMA?
Check the MSDS for you monomer. If you find MMA or Methyl Methacrylate instead of EMA or Ethyl Methacrylate than your in trouble.

I need a "No MMA" sticker for my salon window.
There are plenty out there. Many you will find on salon windows that in fact do use MMA.

What’s this about £25 for a full set being an indication of MMA being used?
In the interview I stated that they are charging £25 for a full set and doing it in half an hour whereas the average for their area is £50 and the people are taking one and a half hours.
People charging half the cost for the area is usually an indication. If the average in your area is £25... then be weary of someone charging £12.

They gave a bad rap to drills.
Sadly, I did explain that many trained professionals may use a drill safely... but never should do so on the natural nail... did not make the final cut (like the majority of the interview).
The fact was... The client sat down, he drilled all over her natural nail... doused the nail with acidic primer... and applied product.
No proper cleaning, sanitising, or preparation took place.
To me... that is an indication for a NSS.

They had professional companies posters in the background.
Yup. I don’t know of many MMA suppliers that do up posters of a mank looking set of MMA nails to put up in the salon.
What else are they going to put up?
Putting up reputable company images and posters are a way for them to legitimatize themselves to the customer. Aside from that... they may not even realise what they are doing.
Heck... there have been many instances where people were pouring MMA liquid into empty professional bottles so that it looked like the technician was using a reputable brand.

Where can I get more information on MMA?
Try reading the MMA article by clicking on the Novels link... or by clicking the word MMA.

How can I tell if a salon is using MMA?
In reality... you cant without doing expensive tests on their liquid.
In a nutshell... I would do the following.
  • Avoid salons where there is not plenty of certification (or licenses is the USA)
  • Avoid salons that look like they use Drills on the natural nail plate.
  • Avoid salons that do not practise sanitation.
  • Avoid salons that do full sets in half an hour.
  • Avoid salons that charge 1/3rd to 1/2 of the price of other salons in the area.
  • Look for product brand names on what they are using.
Remember... its not just MMA that causes the problem... it is also the techniques that these guys use that causes the problem.

nJoy

Spoke to Helen (the segment director) today regarding the program.

You should all be pleased to know that amonst the massive amounts of email and phone calls Watchdog has had today regarding the segment, one happened to be Woman's Own magazine.
They want to cover the item and start a campaign to ban MMA in the UK!

freaking woohoo I say! :goal:

WAY TO GO :goal: :goal:

Great news sam now hopefully something will be done :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Sawasdee kha

i like to read all you said i enjoy .

I think only thing not good what you say about price some people have rent not expensive some expensive .

And when lady work shop herself and not staff salary she can make cheaper price .

And if someone have to make some money them can discount we cut thai man haircut 70 baht another shop 150 we do same or better them .

When i learn nail if lady want come my shop give 12 england them can have nail i work 1 and half 2 hour no problem and dinner for free .

Some people want work hard and make some money geek you should understand .

People from asia your country send money home for mama papa and for family and for sister school them will discount and if themdo maybe not beacuse them bad.

I think many lady now think every nail bad beacuse mma i think many nail bad with good product if lady not learn and try many time after can not make nail beautifull .

Kop khun kha mui

Great news Sam :thumbsup:

Lets hope that this is just the start. Well done!! :goal:

As usual our little friend from the 'land of smiles' has a point. (sawadee ka mui)

People have the right to make their own choices as to how they want to promote their business and doing discount nails will not always mean they do bad work or use MMA. Just as high prices do not always indicate a wonderful standard of work either!!

I think though, we have to have some way of identifying these people who are running NSS and unfortunately price is only one of the indications.

I think the Geek is right, that clients need to be aware of many 'things' to look for, all of which have been mentioned, and if the client is uncomfortable about what she sees, she should leave the salon whether or not it is a NSS.

Sawasdee kha

I yesterday look many internet site and look price menu service for make nail i think not expensive for people work england and another place .

I think lady that only learn short time or learning can not make price for make nail same lady make nail long time and have many experience .

If ruth in london and i in london same same i can not do nail same price she have many nail do for lady and her nail beautifull .

If i london same ruth i try take few customer want nail little cheaper and try do some nail and make little bit money and after i have more learn when i do lady nail .

Yesterday i school and do 3 set nails for free and good for me for learn .

When i go back work i will discount and try have customer no good lady say geek i only have 2 customer 1 week if you discount little bit maybe you have customer .

On geek say cost for nail product 1 set 1.22 if young lady make nail 15 england or 17 england and 3 time 1 day good for her have big money and every time she do nail some body see nail she make and maybe she want .

I think not worry about people do bad nail them not stay in shop long time some one sell food no good no body go eat for sure same nail bad shop bad staff them close shop no customer for sure .

Every time you do nail you like man make painting people look your work and speak good or no good customer want lady do good them maybe try lady no good 1 time .

Kop khun kha mui

If lady

Sawadee Ka Mui,

I just don´t like the word 'discount' it sounds cheap and as if you are selling yourself cheap. and it costs you more money.

I would rather get ladies in my shop by offering a gift instead. Gift of polish costs me 2.95 but the client thinks she gets a gift worth 7 or 8.

If you discount, it always costs the salon more than if you give a gift.

Something for you to think about. Maybe a little different approach than the salon up the road. ;) XX

Hi Guys,

I'm so pleased that the national press etc. are hearing about this. It can only be a good thing and let's hope many more unsuspecting people don't fall victim.

Geeg 55555

I did not before see you speak to me about discount .

Today have much rain in Thailand only have 2 customer 1 man australia manicure pedicure and i lady italy hair wash and blow dry .

now i look internet and laugh too much when you say about discount because we take care tourist and them all ask price and say can you discount i can tell you can for sure .

i do now for when i come back bangkok 7 lady for nail 5 for free 2 all thai i do because i want keep do and for lady have nail maybe friend she want and come pay for make nail .

Today bring 4 lady my shop and do everything for free 1 acrylic 2 make hair 1 nail art and when them have money them come baclk for sure because we make good for them and make welcome my shop .

I want 1 lady come my shop everyday and make 1 set of nails no problem if can not have money first time beacuse if she like when she have some money she come back make again .

Today for open shop i have to have 1300 baht now only have 600 close 4hours can we discount for sure .

nail art now 30 minute 1 hour before 300 baht patong my shop now 100 baht i want many customer .

Discount i not sell myself cheap i want some money and work cheaper someone another shop today sit long time do nothing i happy when i do work something .

if 2 lady want acrylic nail and acrylic nail patong 1500 and them give 1500 for 2 no problem for me for sure good for my shop today for sure .

i hope you have nice time with your daughter Kop khun ka mui

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back