Giving a reference

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhiannon1408

Reaction score
Hi geeks, I had a voicemail from a lady asking for a reference for one of my old staff members. It's not beauty work, I work for a local club as promotions supervisor a few nights a week and she was one of my street promo girls. Problem is I have nothing positive to say about her, she wasn't the greatest at her job, would stand and chat to her friends rather than promote, was always late and had a bit of an attitude.

Now I know I am not allowed to give a negative reference but is it ok to say that I decline to give one?

Thanks in advance

Yes you can refuse to give a reference , it's silly bad references can't be given if its the truth x

Yes you can refuse to give a reference , it's silly bad references can't be given if its the truth x

Yes it is a bit silly. I don't even know why she put me as a reference as she didn't even tell us she was leaving, she just didn't turn up!

Why dont you refer the person looking for the reference to your line manager? And let her/him deal with it. It probably should be them anyway they should contact.

Why dont you refer the person looking for the reference to your line manager? And let her/him deal with it. It probably should be them anyway they should contact.

Problem is I'm the only one that saw her 'work'. My manager relies on me and my judgement so he would have nothing to say about her as all communications are through myself.

If you reply that you'd rather not give a reference, the enquirer can read into this what she wants to.

What I don't understand is why people don't ask they're old employers or someone to be their reference! I was always told to ask that person before you put them on your cv.

I was asked to give a reference on an old employee once and she was the WORST employee ever. She was fired in the end for her appalling attitude and for being rude to our clients on multiple occasions.

I always wondered what made her give my name as there was no love lost between us. I guess it was because you can't give a bad reference.

Thankfully I didn't have to ramble a whole email of b.s. because they sent me a form, so I just ticked acceptable for everything because that was the lowest. Also, there was a box on it that said 'would you re-employ'. I ticked no because I wouldn't have let her back through the door.

Thanks for your replies, I think if the lady rings again I will just say that I do not wish to give a reference. She can read into that whatever she wishes, as I honestly couldn't say a good word about her

Sometimes people ask for a reference because it has to be from a previous/recent employer. At minimum, they may just want someone to verify that they did actually work at a certain place.

If you say "x worked at y from the dates of ... to ..." then this will give the information that is required but the fact that you haven't elaborated would suggest that you have nothing to elaborate on. I think this is the best way to give a reference with minimum information.

Agree with Laurakate. I just put
I can confirm that ______was employed by ______ between date and date

Then I leave it at that.

I've declined references in the past including a form reference and posted it back with declined written across the front. When it's been on the phone I have said "I won't give a reference as I would be breaking the law", they know exactly why after that.
X

You can lawfully give a bad reference.
However you must have real evidence to support it, or the ex-employee could sue.

The lady called back this morning, my word she was pushy! I said I cannot give a reference, she asked why and I said its against the law to give a bad reference so I cannot give one, she then started saying 'well that puts me in a difficult position', 'we'll be sending her to clients so I need to know why' and 'I won't tell her what you say, it's confidential'.

I don't care if its confidential I'm not going to break the law! Silly woman! I just kept repeating that I was sorry but couldn't give a reference, she eventually got the message that that was all I was going to say and hung up.

The lady called back this morning, my word she was pushy! I said I cannot give a reference, she asked why and I said its against the law to give a bad reference so I cannot give one, she then started saying 'well that puts me in a difficult position', 'we'll be sending her to clients so I need to know why' and 'I won't tell her what you say, it's confidential'.

I don't care if its confidential I'm not going to break the law! Silly woman! I just kept repeating that I was sorry but couldn't give a reference, she eventually got the message that that was all I was going to say and hung up.

Why do you give 2 poops why she needs a reference, you don't want to give one because the girl isn't worth one and that's it.
I must be a different person in work, I'd have told her where to shove her reference and hung up x

Why do you give 2 poops why she needs a reference, you don't want to give one because the girl isn't worth one and that's it.
Exactly! And to me, if someone was refusing to give a reference that would make me assume they were not a good employee!

Exactly! And to me, if someone was refusing to give a reference that would make me assume they were not a good employee!

Silly woman, she clearly doesn't understand the law as to why I couldn't give a reference! I would have loved to have just hung up on her but I was trying to be polite :)

Let's just clear this up. It's not illegal to give a 'bad' reference per se.

You just have to ensure you stick to facts such as poor time keeping and the number of times X was late for work.

If you write something damning about a person just because you didn't like them, then that could be deemed libel.

Some companies just confirm the dates the person was employed, but you're not obliged to confirm this information.

Personally, I take little notice of references, unless they are particularly harsh. I prefer to rely on interview and gut instincts. Also, I always set tasks at the interview. It soon clarifies if the info on the CV is bull. In fact, I'm usually on my guard a bit with a glowing reference from a current employer, as I wonder if they are trying to lose that member of staff.

Just for info: was it an agency offering beauty services? Perhaps their interview technique is extremely basic.

Latest posts

Back