Giving up a treatment

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zooks

Reaction score
Hi Geeks

Looking for a little advice but mainly sounding things out I think, not sure if this should be in business or skin.

I have offered Tanning for 3 years. I don't enjoy it, neverhave and it is definitely one of my weaker treatments. I eally wanted to keep it in the salon because I have always thought it's a good treatment to have on board. I haven't done a tan in a good 6 months and even then that was probably the only one I have done in months, I never push it as I don't want to do them!

I have done so few that my solution is out of date and I have a couple booked in for weddings which I will have to order new solution in for...which will also be highlylikely to just sit there until it expires.

After all that garble, my piint it I think I want to give it up. I have an employee who also isn't trained or interested in tanning.

Is it bad business sense to drop it? The thought of it annoys me now as I would rather do anything but a tan.

Advic appreciated!

Pack it in. I'm in a very similar boat. I don't hate doing them but they are a lot of kit, space and product for something that you do so rarely. I leave my tan tent up when I can, they're messy and a lot of faff BUT I do like having a spray tan lol!

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

If you don't need it and don't like doing it, then drop it. I've dropped a few things off my menu. I work out if they've paid for themselves first and if so, they go! That way I don't feel guilty either. Time spent doing other treatments then makes up for any shortfall. :)

Definitely give it up if you don't need to do it. Once I got busy I dropped waxing and eye lash tinting as it just wasn't for me. I'm so much happier doing the treatments I enjoy.

I don't think you should give it up. Its really easy ££. Keep it on your price list online as a back up if you intend to give it up. The reason I say this is because you can always offer it at a special discounted rate and it will gain some interest so that the solution doesn't go off! Or incentives for you both to get as much confidence to practice as therapists to actually enjoy showing it off. I'm indian and i really dont need it, but i love giving out tans! People feel really confident with a tan. Seriously keep it on!

My tip for a solution is tandare organics or suntana, they last lovely! And you really cant mess up a gorgeous tan that you get off them! ;) xoxo

I haven't done a tan since before Christmas... It's still on my price list but I don't promote them at all. When my solution is about to go off I'll do an offer on them to get rid of it, but probably won't buy in stock again - the solution I use is expensive too! I refuse to compete with the mobile people charging £7 for a spray tan as well x

Thankyou Geeks.

I was conteplating introducing a manual tans as a "backup" as I wouldn't mind it so much, does anyone offer this?

If I employee someone else I would want them to do spraytans. It is simplysomething I don't enjoy.

I use Nouvatan, gives a great tan and lovely fade off but I still hate the process. I need 45 mins for a tan as I have to set up, tan and clean down afterwads as I don't have room to leave my tent up. I could do two brazillians at £35 a pop in that time, that's where my head tells me to give it up! But I also know it's a good profitable treatment...when you do them!

If you've done one in 6 months, thats £35 in 6 months so you obviously can afford to drop it for now. Assuming business is going well that is - if you're not making the profit you'd like and you're turning people away then no, it's not good business senseto drop it. But there's other ways to boost your profit than to offer a service you dislike so much.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thankyou Geeks.

I was conteplating introducing a manual tans as a "backup" as I wouldn't mind it so much, does anyone offer this?

If I employee someone else I would want them to do spraytans. It is simplysomething I don't enjoy.

I use Nouvatan, gives a great tan and lovely fade off but I still hate the process. I need 45 mins for a tan as I have to set up, tan and clean down afterwads as I don't have room to leave my tent up. I could do two brazillians at £35 a pop in that time, that's where my head tells me to give it up! But I also know it's a good profitable treatment...when you do them!

We only do manual tanning using Sienna X - which gives a fabulous colour & smells gorgeous too! We're fairly new so don't do loads but hopefully they will pick up over the summer.

Cost is £30 for full body including exfoliation and polish, £20 if prep is done at home and £15 for just arms legs face & neck.

They came and did the training in-salon & it's really easy - the more we do, the faster we get & as our client base is a little more mature we find that people prefer to lay down & get a 'treatment' rather than being stood up and feeling vulnerable.

HTH x

Thanks Debsxo

I think I am going to drop it and takeup manual. I want to find out the shelf life etc on those too, hoping it's a little longer than spray solution.

Now just to tell the 2 people I have booked in for May and June!

Thanks Debsxo

I think I am going to drop it and takeup manual. I want to find out the shelf life etc on those too, hoping it's a little longer than spray solution.

Now just to tell the 2 people I have booked in for May and June!

Just a thought, maybe you could find someone in the area who does just spray tanning and partner with them? This way you don't have to keep stock etc and you guys would work out a referral rate :)

Jen889 it's like you read my mind!

I emailed a local girl that does tanning this afternoon, just putting the feelers out. She is happy to arrange something but none of us are aqite sure how we would do it.

Would you be sending people to her? Have her in the salon once a week and take commision?

We have 3 treatment rooms, one is already rented and myself and the other therapist take the other 2 so she would have to be busy to make it worth while.

I emailed a local girl that does tanning this afternoon, just putting the feelers out. She is happy to arrange something but none of us are aqite sure how we would do it.

Would you be sending people to her? Have her in the salon once a week and take commision?

We have 3 treatment rooms, one is already rented and myself and the other therapist take the other 2 so she would have to be busy to make it worth while.

Why not just say to your clients you offer spray tans 'on application' and call the girl in for when the tan is booked. She can use all her own tan stuff and you could do a split of price? Although may be tricky as you said that you use all of your treatment rooms all the time...

If that doesn't work I'd drop it personally :) x

It's difficult to be able to book them in without having her available at set times. I am going to meet her for a coffee and have a chat!

Still contemplating manual tans though!

We only do manual tanning using Sienna X - which gives a fabulous colour & smells gorgeous too! We're fairly new so don't do loads but hopefully they will pick up over the summer.

Cost is £30 for full body including exfoliation and polish, £20 if prep is done at home and £15 for just arms legs face & neck.

They came and did the training in-salon & it's really easy - the more we do, the faster we get & as our client base is a little more mature we find that people prefer to lay down & get a 'treatment' rather than being stood up and feeling vulnerable.

HTH x

This sounds really interesting. I have quite a few mature clients that only want arms and legs tanned. Would you have the contact details or can you point me in the right direction please?

Well great minds! There's two ways you can do this;

1. Have her come into your spa once a week on commission. She would be supplying everything for tanning you supply the client and space. Trick is figuring out the commission base for you and what days work best. Perhaps a day your not open so its not taking time from your schedule?

2. Refer clients to her. You would either pay her a set amount per client or take a percentage. I really recommend a certain amount as its easier. Only down side to this is she has to be honest with how many of your referred clients she ends up seeing as she can tell you she saw no one meanwhile she's seen 5.

I used to do option two for a massage therapist. It worked well but its hard to keep track of money. Now I have a massage therapist on commission days/ hours I'm not in the spa (I only have one treatment room). I book her clients and let her know the schedule, works great!

Or if you're feeling kind and generous you could just put her forward as an alternative for nothing but the feel good factor, especially if it's for about 4 clients a year, and she may do the same for you.

I offered fake bake hand applied tan and it is still my favourite finish, colour and fade. I use it on myself at home but not in salon. For many years, it was all I offered but my clients - and my daughter - just didn't find it dark enough, so I would recommend the lady round the corner for a spray. Eventually I invested.

I've also thought about going back to the hand applied so I at least have a tan available but my daughter would never forgive me.

For the foreseeable we will be offering sprays but I'm really not a big lover of them!

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thankyou Ladies.

I would be happy to refer to her purely through kindness but she was the one who suggested coming in tothe salon. I don't do many tans but only because I don't advertsise, I know if I pushed it I could do a whole lot more so it could be worthwhile. I may trial it over early summer on a thursday each week.

Most of my clients prefer that salon experience as opposed to mobile in their own home because they like the time out so it cold work uite well.

Oh decisions decisions!

Latest posts

Back