Giving up hairdressing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babychops

Reaction score
Has anyone here given up hairdressing? Did you regret it or was it the best thing you've done?

I started as a hairdresser, gave it my all for a few years, but knew deep down it wasn't for me, so retrained and bever looked back!!

What is giving you doubts x

Iv lost all my confidence, had a few panic attacks and want to do something different now, I panic everytime a client walks through the door!

Ah no, thats a real shame, is it a particular service you don't like like colouring etc ?

I get really nervous doing gents hair (long hair) never had a problem in the past! I just don't like doing any of it now, I think I'm gonna get another job and just do hairdressing on the side

I get really nervous doing gents hair (long hair) never had a problem in the past! I just don't like doing any of it now, I think I'm gonna get another job and just do hairdressing on the side

So how will that help you? You will just end up more and more scared of various cuts, and without colleagues to help you.

Does the salon manager know how you feel?

Knowledge and practice will get you over this hurdle, not shrinking your repertoire of cuts.

Oh thats a shame, i felt like this lots of times, left hairdressing , but then after a couple of years i retrained, bought hair dvd's went on hairdressing courses, bought every hair book that came out, watched you tube videos etc.. I now have my own hair salon. I think it stems from poor training at college,well it was for me. theres a course at Sheffield doing colour correction level4 might have a look at that too,lol. Why dont you see if another geek near by, will let you help out a few hrs while you watch them and ask lots of questions and watch.xx:p

I'm gonna try hypnotherapy, see if that helps, yeah my manager knows but she just says don't worry! Which doesnt help!

Iv been hairdressing for about 7 years, used to be very confident and nothing really fazed me, but now I want to do something different

I'm gonna try hypnotherapy, see if that helps, yeah my manager knows but she just says don't worry! Which doesnt help!

Try hypnosis, I'm a fan of it and maybe go and do an advanced cutting and colouring course x

Iv been hairdressing for about 7 years, used to be very confident and nothing really fazed me, but now I want to do something different

i think this is normal if i have a bad day i think why do i do this, but then most days are great and i love it, i really believe the more you know the less you will worry, your manager needs to spend time with you sorting out what your worries are. I bought the salon range dvd's off ebay,it's a hairdresser/trainer thats brought out training dvd's there really helpful and on offer at £29 theres about 9 dvd's in the collection.have you been on colouring courses,through your salon colour range?

It's not unusual to be honest. You are probably at the stage of actually realising how much you still don't know. All of us go through this.
What happens is that you learn to cut, and carry on cutting by method or pattern. Usually at the ten year point ( you are possibly quite advanced to be hitting this at 7 years), you start to understand the dynamics of cutting, and realise that there is a huge amount still to understand.

Once you work through this you really do become a great hairdresser.

Years ago the structure was 3 years apprentice, then first year operator, then second year operator, then stylist. After two more years, 7 in total, you made it to senior stylist.
Industries evolve systems over many years because those systems work.

By shrinking the training due to greed, people are just taught to cut by pattern or rote. Nobody learns anything about angles, points of graduation, freehand cutting etc as its complicated to teach, and tricky to examine.

So my advice is keep going.

I don't think it's because I don't know what I'm doing I just don't like cutting people's hair all day every day. I'll see what happens. Thanks for all the advice

I think hairdressing it one job you just can't do if your hearts not in it, it's just too hard !
I am sure you will find the right path for you very soon ! Good luck :)

I don't think it's because I don't know what I'm doing I just don't like cutting people's hair all day every day. I'll see what happens. Thanks for all the advice

Maybe try writing a list of likes and dislikes of your job and see what that throws up? You may be able to address some of the dislikes and it may also help you to work out what you want to do going forward. x

Love my job,but sometimes hate it at the same time!!
I think alot of people go through this.
Ive seen hairdressers suddenly down tools and go into a totally different type of career after 7-10 years.
Its a shame after the hard graft put in but if your hearts not in it and your not enjoying it,it would be awful to be stuck and hating it.
We are at work more than we are at home and we work for many years so i couldnt think of anything worse than doing a job i hated.
I hope you come to a decision on what to do,and good luck whatever that decision ends up being
x

Iv lost all my confidence, had a few panic attacks and want to do something different now, I panic everytime a client walks through the door!

Hey huni,

So sorry you are feeling this way, i have been working in a salon for 10years, went right through from being a sat girl, to nvq 3 and entering competitions, and doing really well and going on loads of courses. All through that time my confidence was right up there, nothing fased me, and it proves that all the courses and motivation worked, i was always looking forward to the next challenge. Then my personal life kicked off with planning a wedding and buying a house, my boss stopped the courses and excitement and i couldnt afford to put myself on the courses. Eventually it turned to just going to work everyday, still the same challenges which i loved slowly got more and more daunting, i must of been doing a good job still because right untill the day i left on xmas eve, i was fully booked, not many days went by when i had a gap, but i was starting to lose confidence. Things didnt help when i came back from my honeymoon and my boss tried to chage my terms and conditions and making things v difficult for me (not going to go into that) so everthing just didnt seem worth it, i fainted twice in the salon, both times when i was under a lot of pressure, and then everything got on top of me and wasnt sleeping, having panic attacks, crying every night at home and literally being petrified of going back to work the next day.

Sorry its long winded, but i know how you're feeling, dont let it get too far, move to a different salon, get excited and go on courses if you can. Your boss shouldnt be telling you 'its ok' cause its not, if you can talk to them and explain how youre feeling, and ask for help and encouragement, even if you go halves on the course price, cause itll help your boss just as much as it will you, at the end of the day, you work for them and the more moeny you take, the more they get! If they wont help you, try somewhere else, dont give up unless you have to!

Hope my story helps xxx

As a boss myself can I just say there is only so much help you can give someone and confidence come from within so it's a hard one!

It's not unusual to be honest. You are probably at the stage of actually realising how much you still don't know. All of us go through this.
What happens is that you learn to cut, and carry on cutting by method or pattern. Usually at the ten year point ( you are possibly quite advanced to be hitting this at 7 years), you start to understand the dynamics of cutting, and realise that there is a huge amount still to understand.

Once you work through this you really do become a great hairdresser.

Years ago the structure was 3 years apprentice, then first year operator, then second year operator, then stylist. After two more years, 7 in total, you made it to senior stylist.
Industries evolve systems over many years because those systems work.

This is exactly how I feel iv been a hairdresser for 10 years and don't get me wrong I'm confident at cutting colouring etc but it's since joining this site iv thought Jesus Christ I didn't know that I'm learning a lot about colouring just from this site alone and from more experienced hairdressers hence my post looking for a colouring course to update I think everything changes styles colours u name it and sometimes you can't rely on what you were taught as you need to update skills as in my opinion 7 or 10 years isn't that long I feel like. Stil, have a lot to learn so don't give up get yourself along for some refresher courses as someone else said if you stop now or get another job you'll be even more scared xx

I had a good day today and thought maybe things aren't as bad as I think! I just need to be more positive!

Latest posts

Back