Giving up hairdressing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NadiaH23

Reaction score
I thought I would start a thread and see if anyone else has given up hair to do something else & if it was for the better ..

I've not long had my first baby & due to go back to work In just a few weeks, luckily it's for weddings which I love doing & it's just a day or two a week. However I told all my hairdressing clientele I would also start doing hair again around this point (I haven't booked anyone in for this yet) but to be honest I can't see myself away from my baby anymore than what I have booked in for the weddings! I don't know what to do & really hate letting people down but I never realised how much becoming a mum would change my mindset on work & what I actually want to do!
I've actually been looking into studying nursing next year, I have been thinking about a change of career for a good couple of years now but could never bring myself to do anything about it. Has anyone gave up hair & regretted it or found it was the best thing ?

I did it the other way around and swapped my previous career for hairdressing as I wanted a more creative outlet and less pressure.
I also think it’s a good idea to consider taking risks and challenge yourself to try out new experiences and learn new skills. It helps keep you happy and motivated and stops you feeling stuck in a rut.

Lots of us regret some things in life, but it’s unusual to regret making the effort to try something new.

I thought I would start a thread and see if anyone else has given up hair to do something else & if it was for the better ..

I've not long had my first baby & due to go back to work In just a few weeks, luckily it's for weddings which I love doing & it's just a day or two a week. However I told all my hairdressing clientele I would also start doing hair again around this point (I haven't booked anyone in for this yet) but to be honest I can't see myself away from my baby anymore than what I have booked in for the weddings! I don't know what to do & really hate letting people down but I never realised how much becoming a mum would change my mindset on work & what I actually want to do!
I've actually been looking into studying nursing next year, I have been thinking about a change of career for a good couple of years now but could never bring myself to do anything about it. Has anyone gave up hair & regretted it or found it was the best thing ?

I contemplated a career change in my mid thirties but left a salon to become mobile , although it has its benefits such as flexibility , I feel that the earning potential in hairdressing ( unless I work crazy hours ) isn’t that great when taking other outgoings such as stock and petrol , and the fact that I don’t get holiday pay !
If you are considering a change it wouldn’t harm to give it a go ,you can always go back to hairdressing if it doesn’t work out ! Nothing ventured nothing gained !

Latest posts

Back