Giving up salon to work in log cabin

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrslargelashes

Reaction score
Hi all, I've had my salon for 3 years and tbh I'm exhausted. I had baby no.3 in April and went back to work part time after 5 weeks off. I'm sick of slogging my guts out to struggle every month at bill week and my therapist making more of a wage than me.

I previously worked from my log cabin and long for the peacefulness of it all. The con is I won't can take all my clients as I live 14 miles away from the town my salon is based in, but with less overheads I won't need to make as much money.

The only thing that's stopping me is how bad I feel for my therapist and the lady who rents a room

Have any of you went from being salon based to home based/log cabin? Any advice?

I'll be totally honest. Most people who make the move back haven't regretted it for a minute.

I think everyone has this vision of opening a 'salon'. You have staff and you do less as your staff do more, generating a fantastic income.

The reality is often no money, high bills, empty columns and as you've said, staff earning more than you do.

I run a salon but my babies are all grown up. I couldn't begin to think of putting in the time and effort I do with little ones to consider.

I had a home salon when my babies were little. As they got older they'd let themselves in and I'd carry on working.

I have often said on this forum that the richest I was was working from home.

Good luck with your choices.

Vic x

Sounds like an exciting move!
Are you selling your salon? Could you offer your therapist who rents a room a chance to buy you out?
I now work from my home Salon now after years of being treated badly by owners of salons I've rented from. It's so much more rewarding !
I haven't been doing it that long and still have quiet days but for me it's not just about the money ... I'm so much happier and stress free .. you will love it!

Sounds like an exciting move!
Are you selling your salon? Could you offer your therapist who rents a room a chance to buy you out?
I now work from my home Salon now after years of being treated badly by owners of salons I've rented from. It's so much more rewarding !
I haven't been doing it that long and still have quiet days but for me it's not just about the money ... I'm so much happier and stress free .. you will love it!

I'm not selling the salon. It's a leasehold. Which poses another problem: getting early release from my lease.

I worked out my average wage last year as £6 per hour, less than minimum wage for all the stress and sweat I put in. I just don't feel like I can do it anymore. This year with higher costs of wages, products & a rent increase its going to be less. I missed out on a lot with my kids.

I think my mind is mostly made up. My husband and I are going to start clearing out and renovating the log cabin. I'm going to call my landlord in the new year. It's scary and daunting yet exciting! It's a case of working smarter not harder.

I'm in the middle of writing down a list of pro's and con's, my head is swimming! X

If you are hating it that much there seems to be your answer, life is too short to be that stressed if you can change it.... sounds like you have your husbands support too which will be important working from home.

Honestly you won't look back, especially if you have clientele already! Good luck!

If you are hating it that much there seems to be your answer, life is too short to be that stressed if you can change it.... sounds like you have your husbands support too which will be important working from home.

Honestly you won't look back, especially if you have clientele already! Good luck!

I've been up and running for 4.5 years and brought clients to the salon with me so I'm sure I can retain enough to make (probably a better wage) due to less overheads. I'm also thinking of doing a bit of mobile for my regulars who may not want to travel to my home as it is quite far out from the town the salon is in . So I could do maybe 1 day a fortnight mobile in town. X

I don't make quite as much money mobile as I find I can't put my charges up too much as there's a lot of competition here but it is nice to have that variety of work.

I don't make quite as much money mobile as I find I can't put my charges up too much as there's a lot of competition here but it is nice to have that variety of work.

I was thinking of keeping my mobile prices the same as my salon prices and making my home salon prices slightly cheaper than my current prices.

Someone gave me the idea of giving my regular clients a 'vip discount card valid for a certain length of time to encourage clients to stay with me when I change over.

Aww I have only had my larger shop for 6 months and I'm having doubts but I have signed a three year lease, I don't think the landlady would let me leave so early but if I was in your position I would go for it

Aww I have only had my larger shop for 6 months and I'm having doubts but I have signed a three year lease, I don't think the landlady would let me leave so early but if I was in your position I would go for it

I'm going to call the landlord in the new year and see what he says. Wish me luck!

Aww good luck, I hope it all works out [emoji5]️xx

L

Thank you. Xx
Hi i have just read all ur post and it is spooky how my situation is the same... i have 2 years left on my lease and now hace my first baby 4month old and would like one more... im so stressed as to run a salon and make money (i would rather earn less and less stress and worry) i need to b there full time i have the opportunity to set up at home as we are now building an extentsion. I have had my salon for 10 years and have a lovely therapist that i dont want to let down.
I just wondered if you did set up from home and how u are finding it,my questions are... are u less stressed,how is the earning potetial and do u feel relaxed on ur days off or worry clients will pop in.
Thank u for reading xx

Latest posts

Back