Glitter L&P infills

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lana-Jayne

Reaction score
Hi I'm just looking for advice. I'm still practicing my L&P skills and want to do a set of glitter L&P on my sister. I'm going to mix my own glitter mix. At the moment she has radiant pink natural enhancements on with gel polish over the top. I know I'm going to have to file the polish off but to infill them to a new colour would it be best to file the previous L&P right down and start again with the glitter mix or can I just use a thin layer over the already built up enhancement then refine the shape afterwards?x
Sent from my HTC One X using SalonGeek

Hi, I've always treated it as a rebalance. If a client came to me with pink and white, I would file as much off the free edge ( tip colour) taking it back to a very thin structure and also remove a lot of the 'bulk' from the rest of the zones. I would then prep etc... Then reapply another colour acrylic for the tip.... Ie a glitter pink for instance!. If its just a natural all over acrylic just file it so 80% of acrylic has gone then apply the glitter tip, then a pink in the other areas, or clear so it doesnt dull a white acrylic etc. if you never filed away the natural acrylic at the edge ur apply a colour acrylic on top and then cap with clear/pink and this would leave a thick edge/nail. X others may do it differently but this is just my way. Hope I helped x

Thanks clowneyclaire that helps a lot x

Far too much work in my opinion!

I would remove the free edge by filing it down or clipping the length and refining the smile line with a file and then I'd simply sculpt a new free edge in a new glitter colour! Easy as pie and would take a third of the time and effort. There's no need to make work hard for yourself. X

Thank you Geeg x

I would remove the free edge by filing it down or clipping the length and refining the smile line with a file and then I'd simply sculpt a new free edge in a new glitter colour! Easy as pie and would take a third of the time and effort. There's no need to make work hard for yourself. X

hi geeg, do you mean build it flush with the edge you filed, meaning using this as the smile line? and then would you add a thin layer all over the top? wud this be as strong sorry if this sounds dumb? x
i spend so much time filing clients tip colour down to change for a diff design so this would save me lots of time :)

yep butt the new product up to your new filed smile line, gives a nice crisp finish, this is how i do mine. I also place a clear bead for the appex, Many don't but i used to get mine break where i made them too thin. So i cut back file new smile line, thin out, and remove any lifting if you have any, prep nail plate in the regrowth. zone 3, zone 1 and then clear bead zone 2 blended into 3 and brushed smooth over zone 1. I think youngs have a video of this.x

thanks for replying :) but i just realised this post reffers to l+p and i use gel is it the same principle will it still work? thanks xx

depends on what type of gel you using, If your mixing glitter into a builder gel, then yes, but me personally use a cover pink or clear builder for the whole of my nail and then either use paint on white or shellac to the tips , then apply glitter or just apply glitter into a paste with the gel for a faded out effect, after i've rebalanced. finish with the top gloss gel x

depends on what type of gel you using, If your mixing glitter into a builder gel, then yes, but me personally use a cover pink or clear builder for the whole of my nail and then either use paint on white or shellac to the tips , then apply glitter or just apply glitter into a paste with the gel for a faded out effect, after i've rebalanced. finish with the top gloss gel x

Guess I'll just shut up as Odee has said and explained it all perfectly. :lol: Makes a change eh??

sorry geeg, i know this question was for you,xx makes a change eh ??,Does that mean im getting somewhere? (Don't answer that) lolxx:lol:

sorry geeg, i know this question was for you,xx makes a change eh ??,Does that mean im getting somewhere? (Don't answer that) lolxx:lol:
Seems you are definitely getting somewhere! :hug: maybe I can take a rest soon?

Hi Geeg,
Are you using an electric file to do this. Im not trained in using them and would be interested how it is done manually.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using SalonGeek

Hi Geeg,
Are you using an electric file to do this. Im not trained in using them and would be interested how it is done manually.

No I don't use an electric file to do this particular thing although I do use one for other things.

I use my manual clippers to clip off the end of the nail, always working a bit ahead of where I want the new smile to be and it is important to take just small nips with the clippers .... When you do this it just comes off very neatly. Then I file the new smile line in, in the ordinary way. It is really very very easy and quick.

No I don't use an electric file to do this particular thing although I do use one for other things.

I use my manual clippers to clip off the end of the nail, always working a bit ahead of where I want the new smile to be and it is important to take just small nips with the clippers .... When you do this it just comes off very neatly. Then I file the new smile line in, in the ordinary way. It is really very very easy and quick.

Is there any videos of this method. If so i would be interested in a link etc please.

Geeg could I use this method on my niece. Her nails curl terribly so doesn't matter how much I cap they seem to curl away from the free edge. She has forever French. Could I do this whenever the nail underneath reaches the free edge. I can sculpt much better than I can apply tips lol xx

Geeg could I use this method on my niece. Her nails curl terribly so doesn't matter how much I cap they seem to curl away from the free edge. She has forever French. Could I do this whenever the nail underneath reaches the free edge. I can sculpt much better than I can apply tips lol xx
Sure you can. Just take care in the clipping. If you try to clip too large an area at a time you will crack the product ... The secret is small tiny bites With the clippers slightly ahead of where you want your finished line to be, and then refine the edge with your hand file.

Latest posts

Back