Glitter on natural nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rouge

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Can anyone tell me how to apply glitter to natural nails? I don't do extensions but I'm just getting into nail art and can't seem to apply the glitter without wasting loads and getting it everywhere! Am I supposed to mix it with something first?

Thanks everyone! :hug:

i think the loose glitter you get in the small pots are to be used with gel and acrylic, you can try mixing it with clear nail varnish,

Hi, you can just use it over your base coat or a polish, whilst they are still wet, but remember to seal them. Its a good idea to do it over a piece of paper so that you can tip the remaining glitter back into the pot.

hope that helps

You could try using a glitter striper or use glitter and nail art sealer to get a stained glass effect or patterns. If you use a fine nail art brush and dip it in the sealer and then dip in the glitter it gives a more dense effect than polish. It needs sealing afterwards too.
hth

Just a thought. What about a glitter top coat? Or a nail varnish that has very dense glitter. OPI do some stunning lacquers with diamond dust. When applying glitter to the natural nail it can feel 'scratchy' on the surface. x

Orly do a clear with glitter, it's very pretty, it's called Shine On Crazy Diamond :)

Glitter varnish .... simple.

Essie have gold and silver ones, and I know that Millennium have some in their range too.

I sortof thought it was about nail art? Sorry I may have got the wrong end of the stick here.

I sortof thought it was about nail art? Sorry I may have got the wrong end of the stick here.

Oops, my eyes are getting heavy and I'm not concentrating properly! :D

Thank you so much everyone, there's some really good tips here. 1999Judy I am definitely going to give that a go with the nail art sealer - just have to get some first. I will also check out the OPI lacquers - thanks Nicki-Marie. I will go on a course at some point but I'm just enjoying playing around atm. If I'm feeling REALLY brave one day I may put some pictures on so you can tell me what you think :eek: but that's a bit too scarey just yet!

Any more suggestions, anyone?

Last edited:
Just a thought. What about a glitter top coat? Or a nail varnish that has very dense glitter. OPI do some stunning lacquers with diamond dust. When applying glitter to the natural nail it can feel 'scratchy' on the surface. x
The Diamond dust Lacquers are gorgeous try them you will be amazed

Spangles do a lovely clear with glitter already in it,ill have a look for the name of it x

i use china glaze glitter polishes

they are great

When i did my nail art course we were told to get Glitter Dust Mixer (both Spangles and Millenium do one) - this is good for using with your striper/precision brushes. Dip it in the mixer then the glitter and apply it to the nail. Either that or i use a salt shaker on wet polish and then topcoat it. Gives you a little more control. Hope that helps x

When i did my nail art course we were told to get Glitter Dust Mixer (both Spangles and Millenium do one) - this is good for using with your striper/precision brushes. Dip it in the mixer then the glitter and apply it to the nail. Either that or i use a salt shaker on wet polish and then topcoat it. Gives you a little more control. Hope that helps x

I'll give that a try too, then I can decide which method I prefer.

Chantell Simone, where do you get china glaze polishes from please?

Thanks for all your replies, everyone!

You can get China Glaze from Sally's or from Beverley Beaute on the net

Beverly Beaute

Glitter mixers are very good you can use them with any coloured glitter. It would save the cost of buying lots of different colour glitter polishes.

I Use China glaze Glitter Top Coats And The Glitter Nail Art, They Give Great Results

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back