Glossy Hair!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

too_dam_perfect

Reaction score
I know alot of beuty therapists are members of this site - I have a question for you all;
How can I make my hair really shiney and glossy???

doesn't washing your hair in egg or beer work? xx

too_dam_perfect said:
I know alot of beuty therapists are members of this site - I have a question for you all;
How can I make my hair really shiney and glossy???

Try hair serum on damp hair.

Hi hun,ok semi permanant colour is great for shine,as is sleeping on a satin/silk pillow(as it does not ruffel the cuticle).

Weekly penetrating conditioning treatments are great(they work from the inside out)

As Gemma said,serum is great,and if you use electrical appliances on your hair ALWAYS use a product wich contains a thermal protector.

I know it's boring but you are what you eat ,and this has a knock on effect on your hair/skin and nails to name a few.

Hope this helps,oh and feel free to pm me if you have any further questions.
P.s i am a hairstylist about to undergo my diploma.

• I find tigi shine spray (in a pink bottle with green lid) works wonders. I always get compliments about how shiny my hair is when I use it. Also a cheaper but just as effective version is shine spray by Toni and Guy.

This is actually one of my pet subjects .. and its not often you see me post in chat.

The question is, Why do we have to add artificial shine to our hair in the first place ... why isn't it naturally shiny???

The answer is ... cause everyone washes their hair far too much and every time you do you dry it out and abuse it with other chemicals to make it stand up or out or shine etc. You are all ruining your hair by washing it too much. FACT.

Even going back 20 years, peeps did not wash their hair every day or even take a shower every day. We're ruining our skin too by washing it too much .. we're ruining our planet by washing too much. Now we have to put moisturizers on after every shower to make our skin feel 'normal'. You only have to read threads on this site about the number of peeps who have terribly itchy scalp .. why ???? Because they are becoming overexposed to all the sulfates and petro chemicals in the shampoos and shower gels they use.

You might not like the answer, but it is the truth. Hair is naturally shiny ... but not if it is chemically abused every day. Skin is naturally moist ... but not if it is chemically abused every day. The earth would be naturally balanced and beautiful ... but not when it is chemically abused every day.

geeg said:
You only have to read threads on this site about the number of peeps who have terribly itchy scalp .. why ???? Because they are becoming overexposed to all the sulfates and petro chemicals in the shampoos and shower gels they use.

so thats why i have an itchy scalp! if i leave my hair longer then a day between washing though its just one big mass of grease - not nice at all!!
i think i need to switch to a much gentler shampoo. xx

pinkchicnails said:
so thats why i have an itchy scalp! if i leave my hair longer then a day between washing though its just one big mass of grease - not nice at all!!
If you leave it longer before you wash it, it will last longer bofore it goes greasy, i used to wash mine every day or every other day but now i only wash it 2/3 times a week & its much better & in better condition. xx

pinkchicnails said:

There is a way .. but it takes time (6 months) and thought. The goal is to only wash your hair once or at the most twice per week. Think it is impossible because your hair gets greasy??? YOUR HAIR IS GETTING GREASY BECAUSE YOU ARE MAKING IT REACT BY WASHING IT EVERY DAY. stop!!!
Month 1. Wash your hair every other day ONLY
Month 2. Wash your hair every 3rd day
Month 3. Wash your hair every 4th day
and so on until the 6th month when you will be washing your hair only once per week .. like me ... like Mrs Geek (ever noticed how lovely and shiny her hair is?) ... the first week of the month when you change up a day is the worst then after that, your hair will come round and last until the next goal.
Now my hair is naturally shiny and it never goes greasy unless I go over the one week period.

geeg said:
There is a way .. but it takes time (6 months) and thought. The goal is to only wash your hair once or at the most twice per week. Think it is impossible because your hair gets greasy??? YOUR HAIR IS GETTING GREASY BECAUSE YOU ARE MAKING IT REACT BY WASHING IT EVERY DAY. stop!!!
and so on until the 6th month when you will be washing your hair only once per week .. like me ... like Mrs Geek (ever noticed how lovely and shiny her hair is?) ... the first week of the month when you change up a day is the worst then after that, your hair will come round and last until the next goal.
Now my hair is naturally shiny and it never goes greasy unless I go over the one week period.

thanx - i just been reading the thread sassy linked to in her post.
im gonna give this a go. i can't keep scratching - people will be thinking i've got nits!! xx

i am currently on month 2 & i only have one itchy patch left lol, & my hair is not as dry on the ends & greasy on the roots, cant wait till i am only needing to do it every week xxxxx

geeg said:
going to give this a go myself as i tend to get greay hair too, yet as a child it was bath and hair wash once a week with vosene:eek: and i had lovely long shiney thick hair then

This doggie is devine!!!

huh? What doggie, sorry dont get it. LOL Joanne, i love the smell of vosene- it reminds me of my childhood too. I have to admit my hair is very shiny and supple and i generally wash mine about twice a week (but will try to get to get down to one). Try putting olive oil/ solar oil on it and wrapping it in a warm towel (the night before washing it). And add solar oil to the ends after you have washed it.

also baby oil is a great conditioner to put on the night before its washed- and it smells divine xx

I only wash my hair once a week, and i never get greasy hair. I get compliments all the time. I agree with Gigi. Overwashing it does stuff it up. Especially here in Adelaide, our water is very harsh , compared to the rest of Australia.
xxx:green:

I only wash my hair once a week, and i never get greasy hair. I get compliments all the time. I agree with Gigi. Overwashing it does stuff it up. Especially here in Adelaide, our water is very harsh , compared to the rest of Australia.
xxx:green:

Well how many of you have tried my regime and found that it works??? You said you were going to try it ,,, did you?

Well how many of you have tried my regime and found that it works??? You said you were going to try it ,,, did you?

I did, I did!!!! I managed to get up to washing every 5th day, but couldn't go anymore than that. My hair is always pretty shiny, but it did help the itching.

However I recently had a semi permanent colour put on it and I seem to be back to square one for some reason and can only go 3 days at the most. I also got some shampoo off Ebay which is SLS and paraben free and it is so gentle, I must get back to using it as I've been using a shampoo for coloured hair ... hmm I may have answered my own question there!!!

applying too much heat to your hair makes it dull too, try giving your hair a final rinse of cold water when washing it, this closes the cuticles and creates a smoother surface for the light reflection hence lovely shiny hair:)

Latest posts

Back