Glove or not to glove

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yummymummynails

Reaction score
I've been doing lots of research, on here and in text books about health and safety and safely using l & p products, allergies etc.

I was just wondering how many of you actuality wear protective gloves when performing nail extensions and your reason ? Was it to be extra on the safe side, due to an allergy, or because its just how you work ???

I've never had a nail tech who had done my nails in the past wear some but I'm thinking of wearing some even though I take every precaution when using l & p.

Really interested in what others do???
Thanks for any comments x x

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using SalonGeek

I only wear gloves when I want to protect my own shellac. If the Shellac is due to come off or I have nacked nails, then I don't use gloves.

Even when I do use gloves, I only use them for the parts of a service which invole me using products containing actone as I find my hands get sweaty otherwise.

I do use flex wrap on my thumb and forefinger while finishing enhancments when I want to protect my newly done nails.

Same as Lunar. Gloves make me hotter. :(

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

I could not use gloves even if i wanted to, having very short fingers the smaller glove size still doesn't fit good and of course i cant work like that.

I cant work with gloves, i'm always careful not to get the product on my skin and if I do I go and wash my hands before the buffing, I also wear flex wrap on my index finger and thumb while buffing to protect my gelish :)

What kind of gloves do you use? I e wondered about trying gloves when doing removal so as not to damage my own nails with the acetone but i would be worried I would they would melt!

I only use gloves when I'm trying to protect my own nails (Nitrile gloves) but have also been wondering if I should be wearing them during the whole service!

I also use gloves during a mani/pedi when I sanitise the hands/feet and exfoliate (I absolutely loathe the gritty feel between my fingers). I take them off for massaging/polishing though.

The problem is, I feel that wearing gloves is awkward and I get hot and sticky in them. I find I'm almost clumsy when I wear them which makes me uncomfortable.

xxx

Last edited:
I use gloves when I do feet but otherwise can't work in them. I wear Gelish all the time and don't have any problem with spoiling them. They get slightly buffed on the free edge of my middle finger through holding the file, but nothing else. I do acrylics, fish, minx, twinkle toes etc etc

Gloves, always, I do not touch client without gloves. I was working in gloves from the beginning and I got used to it. I use nitril gloves, powder free.

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but what is flex wrap? Is it something that protects your fingers?
xx

The only time I used gloves was when I had someone come in with those crazy, ridiculously long nails that curled all kinda' ways. They just weren't sanitary. There was all kinda' nasty up under there.

But that probably only happened 2 - 3 times in my entire career.

I only glove when using scrub fresh on clients when I am wearing Shellac (as it has lifted my own Shellac before) or dong a soak off with acetone for the same reason. I do also explain to clients why I do this, when I do it.

Always wear gloves and i actually dont feel them on at all:lol: Always use skinsept on my clients hands and always spray it on the dust collector and wipe with paper towel even when i know it has been sanitised before the client came.
I was trained that the client feels so much more comfortable when she knows all the tools are sterile and especially new clients are really shocked and admitt they have never even thought of the safety...
Anyway takes a sec, works great and everyone is happy.

Checking sg while I grab lunch and remember what I forgot to pick up at Sally's! Gloves!!

I gloved when taking my mums enhancements off yesterday and it wasn't too bad. alot better than wrecking my nails.

I never wear gloves.
I am starting to offer pedicures soon and now may consider wearing gloves for pedicures..certainly the initial soaking and hard skin removal... Then remove them for massage/polish. I'm a bit worried about the higher change of fungal infections on toes lol

I've been dabbling with wearing gloves lately just for my own peace of mind, I've been wearing the black nitrile ones. I find them comfortable enough the only down side to them is when i'm doing a rebalance that dust STICKS to them ? how are people who wear gloves dealing with this ?

Latest posts

Back