Gloves while housecleaning-will this help reduce 'greenies'

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky_simon

Reaction score
Hi there

I don't think I have worded my title very well, so sorry if it doesn't make much sense or if it's misleading.

Can someone just clarify something please. Is it possible even if you disinfect and sanitise properly for a client to get a greenie?

I have a client who adheres to no aftercare and she loves to clean and wash her hands, we are talking bleach here and numerous other chemicals and of course all involving water. She has been wearing a SOG. Would I be correct in thinking that the chemicals could be slowly breaking down the gel as its porous and potentially allowing the water to reach through to her nail plate? This then gets trapped causing a lovely environment for bacteria to breed, infection occurs.

Apon removal I note a small greenie tinged brown patch (light in colour) resulting in the stain from the bacteria?

I tidied her nail, prepped, scrub freshed and de-hydrated and she now as a French gel polish on.

Is what iv said correct and is what iv done right?

Thank you

Anyone at all? :)

Hi there

I don't think I have worded my title very well, so sorry if it doesn't make much sense or if it's misleading.

Can someone just clarify something please. Is it possible even if you disinfect and sanitise properly for a client to get a greenie?

I have a client who adheres to no aftercare and she loves to clean and wash her hands, we are talking bleach here and numerous other chemicals and of course all involving water. She has been wearing a SOG. Would I be correct in thinking that the chemicals could be slowly breaking down the gel as its porous and potentially allowing the water to reach through to her nail plate? This then gets trapped causing a lovely environment for bacteria to breed, infection occurs.

Apon removal I note a small greenie tinged brown patch (light in colour) resulting in the stain from the bacteria?

I tidied her nail, prepped, scrub freshed and de-hydrated and she now as a French gel polish on.

Is what iv said correct and is what iv done right?

Thank you

Hi Becky ... Allot of what you've said and done is right I'm not particularly in agreement with your explanation of how she has got the greenie.

People wear SOG nails every day, they clean, use chemicals, don't wear gloves etc. If these things deteriorated the product and allowed water to reptate through to the nail plate and get trapped, we'd be seeing greenies on nearly every SOG client.

Your right that SOG is more porous than hard gels, but hard gels get greenies too. Usually the culprit/cause is a nail that has been bent.

Picture it. The soft natural nail bends, probably because it has been knocked. The harder material on the top won't bend easily so the softer natural nail is forced away from the hard material. Client thinks, 'yay I didn't break it'! But she can't see the damage. She can't see that now moisture is leaking between the product and the nail every time her hands get wet. Every bit of water contains the common pseudomonas bacteria; it is these that multiply in the conditions describe and stain the nail plate as you explained.

Good girl! You recognised it, got to it early, dealt with it correctly ... Bravo. Maybe the client needs to wear her nails a bit shorter. She could be getting a bit giddy carried away with her longer nails!

Hi Becky ... Allot of what you've said and done is right I'm not particularly in agreement with your explanation of how she has got the greenie.

People wear SOG nails every day, they clean, use chemicals, don't wear gloves etc. If these things deteriorated the product and allowed water to reptate through to the nail plate and get trapped, we'd be seeing greenies on nearly every SOG client.

Your right that SOG is more porous than hard gels, but hard gels get greenies too. Usually the culprit/cause is a nail that has been bent.

Picture it. The soft natural nail bends, probably because it has been knocked. The harder material on the top won't bend easily so the softer natural nail is forced away from the hard material. Client thinks, 'yay I didn't break it'! But she can't see the damage. She can't see that now moisture is leaking between the product and the nail every time her hands get wet. Every bit of water contains the common pseudomonas bacteria; it is these that multiply in the conditions describe and stain the nail plate as you explained.

Good girl! You recognised it, got to it early, dealt with it correctly ... Bravo. Maybe the client needs to wear her nails a bit shorter. She could be getting a bit giddy carried away with her longer nails!

Thank you so much for your informative reply, and yes it's happened on her little finger which has a ridiculously long nail. I advised her before applying the gel to have a trim to give her a more practical length especially as I won't see her for 2 weeks, I also informed her of the reasons why. However she refused point blank and said leave them alone, if they break I won't blame you!

Latest posts

Back