Gloves?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sophii

Reaction score
I need something to protect my nails when using gel remover on clients as I keep getting tiny chips on the free edge of my index and middle finger. I've heard that nitrile gloves are highly recommended, but don't stop liquids getting through completely...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Sophii,
I have had the same problem, the blue nitrile gloves dissolve at the finger tips. I noticed the other day that my son who’s a mechanic wore heavy duty nitril gloves so I’m going to try these out to see if they last. I’ll leave feedback once I’ve tried them x

IMG_3188.jpg

I use the above gloves. I change them for each client. I haven't had any liquids seep through them. I order them from eBay.

I use the above gloves. I change them for each client. I haven't had any liquids seep through them. I order them from eBay.
Sounds brilliant! I'll take a look - thank you!!

I used to have a problem with gloves. I used nitrate gloves ( quite pricey too!) and then decided to move over to the nitril gloves that are a bit more heavy duty and work better for me personally!

It might be that the gloves you were using were too thin. You want nitrile gloves that are aroun 5-7 mils thick.

Have always used Nitrile in salon. (Some clients may have latex allergies so Nitrile is best option)
The blue ones do wear through at the tips with exposure to acetone.
I swapped to the black nitrile gloves - the ones tattoo artists use! they're great and that little bit thicker :)

Have always used Nitrile in salon. (Some clients may have latex allergies so Nitrile is best option)
The blue ones do wear through at the tips with exposure to acetone.
I swapped to the black nitrile gloves - the ones tattoo artists use! they're great and that little bit thicker :)
Do you find that the black ones stop acetone products from getting through?

Do you find that the black ones stop acetone products from getting through?

As far as I'm aware, none of the gloves keep acetone out indefinitely, so need to be changed at least for each client, (or even every 20-30 mins!). Different brands have different colour gloves so black gloves from one brand won't be the same with another.

It is recommended to wear 8mm thick nitrile gloves, but it's hard to find out the thickness from a lot of manufacturers. It's not written in the box of the gloves I use, but they have been recommended by quite a few people and I haven't had any problems using one pair per client. (Although I don't have any allergies anyway).

If you are unsure of the thickness of your gloves you can double glove, and/or wear thin cotton gloves underneath (although that must feel quite bulky!). But for those with allergies it's better than not being able to work at all.

(Cuffed gloves are also recommended to protect you arms, along with using a barrier cream such as Gloves in a Bottle).

Latest posts

Back