Glue won't stick

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetpea522

Reaction score
I had a client in y'day who wanted extensions! She had a but if a free edge so filed nails down neatly, wiped away and dust, took shine off nail and then attempted to stick tips on....problem is none of the tips would stay on??? I use glue from the edge and Ibd but neither would work, I tried various tips and brands to see if it was that but still wouldn't stick! Has anyone ever experienced this??? X

It can happen. Usually the cause is excess movement when applying your tips (too much rocking etc thus interrupting the polymmeization process).

For the future, We do mot use glue in the nail business, we use adhesive. ... Yes I know some lower end brands even call it glue on the bottle but it is adhesive and the professional term we should all be using is adhesive; ethyl cyanoacrylate adhesive to be specific which is different to Superglue and also different to 'glue" which is made with animal by-products.

There was definately no movement with my clients hands as we use arm rests and I hold of her hand I tried all 10 fingers and none stuck, this is the 1st client it's ever happened to and I do 3 or more sets a day! I'm baffled! X

I've had this happen before and only way I got the nails to adhere was to take the shine off the inside of the tip too.
Make sure there is no dust or particles left on either tip or nail.
Also I've found using a brush on adhesive far better than a drip on one.

I had this happen to a lady yesterday, two fingers wouldnt stick but the rest would so i left those two until last and i wiped away excess adhesive from where i'd been trying to attach it before, and the client had ridges on her nails (i'd previously buffed) so i tried re-buffing and didnt use the grey side, then i got a clean bail abd attached with regular adhesive with applied with firm pressure for 10-12 seconds and it worked! Just dont give up! X

It is at times like these that every technician needs a bottle of activator on hand! I could never be without it in my kit!

It is at times like these that every technician needs a bottle of activator on hand! I could never be without it in my kit!

I've not done fiberglass nails but I do know that you need activator, could you please tell me How I would use activator in this instance?

I've not done fiberglass nails but I do know that you need activator, could you please tell me How I would use activator in this instance?

If the adhesive acts funny and won't set, just spray a little activator on the nail and quickly apply the tip and hey presto.

Thanks Geeg. That's a great bit of info

This happened to me the other day, I find that after applying the adhesive blow on it for 2 seconds then apply the tip with a little pressure for 10-12 seconds, works for me, :)
Good luck sweet x

I'm new and just started training, so excuse me for sounding stupid...but is it ok to blow on client's nails or would you have to ask first? :) xx

It is deemed quite unhygienic to blow on your clients nails.

beccy... i gave my model a wee blow but was swiftly told not to do it again...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Thanks Nic,
didn't think it would be allowed, don't know that I'd want someone I don't know blowing over me!!:lol:

Am assuming from hygiene point of view it's saliva coming out and whatever is in it when you blow?

I can see how it would be tempting though, especially with the dust from filing.

xx

:-( I didn't mean the client only the tip, will be wafting it in future!

Thanks Nic,
didn't think it would be allowed, don't know that I'd want someone I don't know blowing over me!!:lol:

Am assuming from hygiene point of view it's saliva coming out and whatever is in it when you blow?

I can see how it would be tempting though, especially with the dust from filing.

xx

Blowing can also put moisture back onto the nail plate, making your prep in effect pointless. It can be quite tempting though!

Sent from my GT-I5500 using SalonGeek

it does happen every now and then where theres one or two tips that just wont stick so i just buff the glue back off and dont remove the dust as it helps it adhere strangely

Sounds bad but it works for me and hasnt affected the durability or longevity of the nails in my experience, as the contact area is always blended anyway.

Latest posts

Back