Goggles to replace visor

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

China Rose

Reaction score
With the new guidelines that we can now wear goggles instead of a visor (still with mask), I'm just curious as to how many of you think will swap? It is cumbersome having the visor but it makes me think that we will be less protected in the nose and mouth area by wearing goggles instead. What are your thoughts?

You still need a mask with goggles so no reduction in protection. I'll be swapping once mine arrive, I wear glasses and the reflections off the visor are playing havoc with my eyes and I can't see as well as I'd like for cuticle work.

You still need a mask with goggles so no reduction in protection. I'll be swapping once mine arrive, I wear glasses and the reflections off the visor are playing havoc with my eyes and I can't see as well as I'd like for cuticle work.
May I ask what kind of goggles you have bought Trinity as I can’t seem to find clarification anywhere on what is acceptable.

May I ask what kind of goggles you have bought Trinity as I can’t seem to find clarification anywhere on what is acceptable.

I'm not sure they're up to standard yet so I'll hold off with any recommendations or review until they arrive. I wear reading glasses to work so I've got 'safety glasses' with +1 magnification built in.

I agree the goggles guidelines are ridiculously vague, I'm using the thought process that whatever gives the greatest amount of protection within the constraints of what I require to actually see to work is acceptable to me.

I'm not sure they're up to standard yet so I'll hold off with any recommendations or review until they arrive. I wear reading glasses to work so I've got 'safety glasses' with +1 magnification built in.

I agree the goggles guidelines are ridiculously vague, I'm using the thought process that whatever gives the greatest amount of protection within the constraints of what I require to actually see to work is acceptable to me.
This did happen to come up on Facebook last night after I submitted my post.
From the National Hair & Beauty Federation

England: goggles can be worn instead of a visor

The guidelines for England have now been updated to say that stylists, therapists and barbers should wear a clear visor or goggles and a Type II face mask.

Goggles may be used as an alternative to a clear visor, when worn with a Type II face mask. Goggles should be polycarbonate safety spectacles or equivalent. Reusable eye protection should be cleaned according to the manufacturer’s instructions.”
I’m presuming they mean the goggles like glasses are suitable instead of the ones like diving goggles!
Let us know how you get on. I’m fed up with the visor so interested in giving them a go.

There is definitely less protection with the goggles as there is one less barrier in the nose and mouth area (from the visor). Plus, all this time we have been told that the mask is to protect others, not ourselves so it doesn't sit well with me. Especially with the number of COVID cases rising.

This did happen to come up on Facebook last night after I submitted my post.
From the National Hair & Beauty Federation

England: goggles can be worn instead of a visor

The guidelines for England have now been updated to say that stylists, therapists and barbers should wear a clear visor or goggles and a Type II face mask.

Goggles may be used as an alternative to a clear visor, when worn with a Type II face mask. Goggles should be polycarbonate safety spectacles or equivalent. Reusable eye protection should be cleaned according to the manufacturer’s instructions.”
I’m presuming they mean the goggles like glasses are suitable instead of the ones like diving goggles!
Let us know how you get on. I’m fed up with the visor so interested in giving them a go.
I think as long as they are polycarbonate, then they haven't had time to think of alternatives yet. Although not specifically for the beauty industry, Bolle do some. They also do a flimsy version like the disposable type of visor so the "lens" are disposable.
https://www.bolle-safety.com/models/public-health

There is definitely less protection with the goggles as there is one less barrier in the nose and mouth area (from the visor). Plus, all this time we have been told that the mask is to protect others, not ourselves so it doesn't sit well with me. Especially with the number of COVID cases rising.

I wear a mask under the visor anyway so no reduction in protection for me, an increase in fact as I won't have to slip the visor off to double check my cuticle work before moving on

Like yourself, I would prefer to wear a visor for the extra protection over the nose & mouth, but after the worst day yesterday with getting polish everywhere when doing a pedicure because I couldn’t see past the condensation drips on the visor they’re a nightmare & I think everyone else would agree.
Some take the visors off or lift them up when doing close up work as they can’t see due to fogging up/sweating so the visors are worthless in that case really.
We have to do what feels best for ourselves but I do hope the goggles solve the fogging issue at least, I feel so incompetent when having to clean polish off the skin or leaving stray hairs when waxing which I hardly did before.

Sounds like a reasonable alternative to visor.
I've noticed my visor fog up after cleaning several times. It’s like the coating was Removed with cleaning it so frequently.
I bought a new visor and problem was sorted. This one seems to stand up to the regular cleaning.

Like yourself, I would prefer to wear a visor for the extra protection over the nose & mouth, but after the worst day yesterday with getting polish everywhere when doing a pedicure because I couldn’t see past the condensation drips on the visor they’re a nightmare & I think everyone else would agree.
Some take the visors off or lift them up when doing close up work as they can’t see due to fogging up/sweating so the visors are worthless in that case really.
We have to do what feels best for ourselves but I do hope the goggles solve the fogging issue at least, I feel so incompetent when having to clean polish off the skin or leaving stray hairs when waxing which I hardly did before.
I've been using a heavy duty visor, more for construction industry. Reflection is annoying and it's quite heavy compared to the disposable ones but there is a foamy headband which helps absorb sweat.

Hi I'm really happy with the safety goggles I wear glasses as well and of course a mask but they work really well together I hated the visor and I tried quite a few different ones but nothing felt comfortable and my vision was distorted . I think we just have to be sensible and all do the best we can to prevent the spread and as long as we follow the government guidelines thats really the main think. Also if someone wants to wear a visor because they feel safer thats what they should do I think its a difficult time and we are all just doing our best. Although my menopausal hot flashes haven't helped in the least maybe Boris could come up with a cure for those !

Hi I'm really happy with the safety goggles I wear glasses as well and of course a mask but they work really well together I hated the visor and I tried quite a few different ones but nothing felt comfortable and my vision was distorted . I think we just have to be sensible and all do the best we can to prevent the spread and as long as we follow the government guidelines thats really the main think. Also if someone wants to wear a visor because they feel safer thats what they should do I think its a difficult time and we are all just doing our best. Although my menopausal hot flashes haven't helped in the least maybe Boris could come up with a cure for those !
Totally agree, we have to use our common sense, otherwise we'll be going round in circles rethinking it over and over again!
And btw I have changed from visor + mask, to goggles + mask and find it easier to see too, (I also wear reading glasses) so will be sticking to that unless government says otherwise.

Totally agree, we have to use our common sense, otherwise we'll be going round in circles rethinking it over and over again!
And btw I have changed from visor + mask, to goggles + mask and find it easier to see too, (I also wear reading glasses) so will be sticking to that unless government says otherwise.
What kind of goggles have you started using Please? Would like some recommendations before I buy anything.

What kind of goggles have you started using Please? Would like some recommendations before I buy anything.

yesterday I wandered into my garage and had a hunt around for goggles /safety glasses and came across 3 pairs. Lucky me , haven't got to keep on buying them and wasting more money.
Uvex- too big fell off my nose and were very uncomfortable on the ears
Bolle- couldn't get my specs on with them so no use
Screwfix- very cheap over specs and all clear plastic with vented sides....totally brilliant. Fit me beautifully, and are comfortable. Today I will be trialling them for a full day so I will keep you posted. despite having loads of scratches from the action they have seen with diy etc, they have great vision . So chuffed to be able to see clearly . I just hope they are as good as I think they will be!

Think they are around £1.20 a pair. Fab

yesterday I wandered into my garage and had a hunt around for goggles /safety glasses and came across 3 pairs. Lucky me , haven't got to keep on buying them and wasting more money.
Screwfix- very cheap over specs and all clear plastic with vented sides....totally brilliant. Fit me beautifully, and are comfortable. Today I will be trialling them for a full day so I will keep you posted. despite having loads of scratches from the action they have seen with diy etc, they have great vision . So chuffed to be able to see clearly . I just hope they are as good as I think they will be!

Doing loads of DIY in lockdown I wore a fab pair of safety specs from Stanley, I got them in Homebase for about £4. If I didn't wear reading glases I'd be wearing them for work, crystal clear and super comfortable, I'm gutted I can wear them with specs.

I lied, they're DeWalt not Stanley. These are they, if anyone is interested. I've always worn safety specs when doing DIY but hated them, these I loved and wore them all the time without realising, even whilst sat having a coffee break at one time, Husband said 'are you not taking your specs off Love? ' 😆

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dpg58-1d-eu-clear-lens-safety-specs/26627

Last edited:

Good luck! Keep us posted.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

Update as promised!

Worn the cheapo pair today and found that they were very comfortable. Trinity you're right about readers being an issue. Them being perched off the end of your nose means that there isn't enough room for the over specs too.
So I went with my " bifocals "that can stay on my nose in the correct position . Bottom half is reading strength and the top half is clear so can see properly to greet clients and wander around the salon to wash hands etc.
One thing is certain the clarity is so brilliant compared with a visor I am sticking with my bifocals.
Don't think they will take much to break the hinges, but they are so cheap does it really matter?

Anyone else trialling another kind?

Update as promised!

Worn the cheapo pair today and found that they were very comfortable. Trinity you're right about readers being an issue. Them being perched off the end of your nose means that there isn't enough room for the over specs too.
So I went with my " bifocals "that can stay on my nose in the correct position . Bottom half is reading strength and the top half is clear so can see properly to greet clients and wander around the salon to wash hands etc.
One thing is certain the clarity is so brilliant compared with a visor I am sticking with my bifocals.
Don't think they will take much to break the hinges, but they are so cheap does it really matter?

Anyone else trialling another kind?
Glad you have found a pair that work for you. 😀
I personally don’t need to wear glasses for work (yet!) so can see myself going for a pair of the spectacle goggles if anything. Thanks for your rating on the dewalt ones Trinity!
Sadly from most comments I’ve read, everyone is mostly sticking with visors & in an ideal world they would be preferable from a safety perspective but they’re horrendous.
Would be nice to get some more rave goggle reviews though.

I am also thinking that I may invest in a pair of prescription bifocal safety specs from my opticians. Then I will not need over specs at all.. Nor will I need to reposition the readers down my nose. They wrap around the sides of your face and have a small extra barrier above the frame to protect the eyes more.
Just at the thinking stage at the moment !

Latest posts

Back