Going from blonde to dark, without pre pig?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amberjox

Reaction score
I have always used pre pigmentation on really blonde hair when they want to go dark, normally a shwarzcopf spray which I found really good.

But I now work in a salon that doesnt have any pre pigmentation products, does anyone know the best way to do it without?

We use Wella and Redken.

Thank youu!! :) xx :D

All over, not with lowlights! Noone in the salon seems to know. xx

Why don't you use colour touch or perfecton?

Depends how dark they would like to be, I use wella and I i was taking someone from blonde to dark I would use colour touch plus the first time, and I done one not long ago but pre pigged in with my colour, so I used 77/07 colour touch plus with a small amount of 0/45 and 1.9 % an it was lovely no hint of red stall just a true 77/07 xx

This is a wella guide to pre pig

The D is for a diluted version
And N is for neat

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1367830900.885567.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1367830900.885567.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 862
Wella mix tones with water

With Redken, you don't prepig! Use the nb's in eq or gbs in fusion or chromatics. They are already perfectly balanced.

With Redken, you don't prepig! Use the nb's in eq or gbs in fusion or chromatics. They are already perfectly balanced.
Thats handy!! Thank you x

Thats handy!! Thank you x

Actually you'd fill 2 levels at a time. So lets say your client is a level 10 and wants to be a 4. You fill with a level 8 golden color with shades. Then rinse and fill with red/copper level 6. Then you apply target color either shades or color fusion. Depending on where she wants to get and how much warmth she wants in the color... Warmer fill = warmer end result. Oh and the AA's are great to use in your fill formula. Redken recommends you fill to 1-2 levels lighter than your target color.

Actually you'd fill 2 levels at a time. So lets say your client is a level 10 and wants to be a 4. You fill with a level 8 golden color with shades. Then rinse and fill with red/copper level 6. Then you apply target color either shades or color fusion. Depending on where she wants to get and how much warmth she wants in the color... Warmer fill = warmer end result. Oh and the AA's are great to use in your fill formula. Redken recommends you fill to 1-2 levels lighter than your target color.

Erm, it's called natural balance because each level is a perfectly balanced mixture of the correct undertones.

Erm, it's called natural balance because each level is a perfectly balanced mixture of the correct undertones.

Okay, that's wonderful. The op didn't say what the desired result was. I've had gb's take on a green tinge when used to go just 3 levels darker. The natural balance colors are great for many things. However filling 2 levels at a time is good for any desired result.

When we attended our Wella Colour courses we were taught that the /7 colours ( /7,/73,/75./77 ) were made up of red,yellow and orange pigments, therefore no pre pigging is needed when colouring blonde hair to brown

I am just back from my wella masters course and the say that with any /7 you needed to pre pig as it is a mix of all warm colours and blonde hair will suck up all the warmth and just reflect a mauve/violet tone. I have seen this myself too..

I always pre pig now going dark from blonde

I wonder why they would say two completely opposite things :s

I am just back from my wella masters course and the say that with any /7 you needed to pre pig as it is a mix of all warm colours and blonde hair will suck up all the warmth and just reflect a mauve/violet tone. I have seen this myself too..

different lecturers I suppose, I have used it with no pre pig and it has been fine, warm but that is to be expected...

I need to go on a wella colour course desperado!! Problem is i live in Spain but im defo gonna start saving and researching for one. xx

They do have academy's all over but not sure abt Spain, Londons prob closest too you xx

Does anyone know if you can pre pig with Igora mix tones? Ive done a test and looks good, colour over the top covered well aswell. Xx

You can pre pig with any colour line just use either a gold mixtone, colour mouse, crazy colour etc. But to be honest iv never noticed any difference when iv pre pigment. Just use a double base from wella add a tuch of gold and it will turn out fine. If there hair is bleached semi will take much better. And always go a shade lighter than the customer wants because if they have been used to being blonde its often quite a shock for them. Its alsp far easier to go darker then lighter.

You can pre pig with any colour line just use either a gold mixtone, colour mouse, crazy colour etc. But to be honest iv never noticed any difference when iv pre pigment. Just use a double base from wella add a tuch of gold and it will turn out fine. If there hair is bleached semi will take much better. And always go a shade lighter than the customer wants because if they have been used to being blonde its often quite a shock for them. Its alsp far easier to go darker then lighter.
Ok great, Thank you :) xx

Latest posts

Back