Going full time advice needed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beckyjones

Reaction score
I have been doing nails alongside a full time job in a school for the past couple of years, due to being off for the summer I have been able to fit in a lot more clients due to being off work! This has given me a taste of what it would be like to do this full time and I am finding it harder and harder to juggle clients and a full time job! This the the route I'm thinking of taking! My plan is it hand in my notice on the first day back in September and go for it! Any advice from anyone who has done a similar thing or any full time nail techs would be greatly appreciated ?? Thankyou in advance ladies

I am doing the same thing soon.. although I have already been a self employed beauty Therapist. Why I thought it would be a good idea to work for someone else I will never know!

If you know what you want, go for it.

Life is too short!!!

It’s up to you and if you’ve not got any serious financial commitments such as a mortgage or rent to pay, then definitely go for it.

Otherwise, maybe be a bit more cautious and make sure you have some savings built up to cover you during the quieter months whilst you’re still getting established. Also, make sure you put aside enough savings to cover your self employed tax bill.

The summer is normally a busy time for Nails but try to work out how many of your current clients will continue to book you throughout Autumn/Winter.

Definitely consider your annual income and not just over the summer.
I’m usually fully booked yet this week and up until the end of October is my quietest time of year. During summer I work 1.5 days extra per week and I still have a waiting list.
Positive side of it is I never feel like I’m working. I absolutely love it and tend to work too much rather than not enough.
It can take a while to build up a loyal and regular client base but it’s possible. Think what would make you stand out from other nail techs? It’s a very competitive industry

I worked in education term time only as well!

Have you considered asking if you could possibly reduce your hours to start with? That's what I did. I went from working 5 days to three days, then down to 2 days and then, luckily for me I was offered voluntary redundancy :) (This was over a period of about a year). If it was an option for you it could just give you that safety net to start with so you know you have a set amount of money guaranteed each month, rather than having to replace a full time wage straight away, especially during the quieter weeks/months.

Ciderella is right, the summer always brings lots more clients wanting their nails done who wouldn't necessarily have them done regularly throughout the rest of the year. Even my loyal regulars don't tend to bother having their toes done once their feet are covered up again, but during the summer they have toes done every other appointment and often full pedis as well, so we have to make hay whilst the sun shines!

This will be my third autumn since leaving my other job and I'm hoping I will be able to hang on to some more of the new clients that started coming regularly this summer (fingers crossed!)

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back