Going Global, Academy that is...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeni Giles

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to have just returned from the Scruples Global Academy. Scruples may be a hair product company, but the principals I learned apply to what we do. While attending this class I realized that the majority of us who spend time training and practicing apply principles and concepts that we don't realize we use.

Have you ever really thought about how a nail is balanced? The obvious answer is well of course, that's why I am a nail artist. The underlying talent is explaining that to your client. Could you? Would they be able to understand why you placed your apex in that particular area.

Do you tell your clients why you make their nails the shape that they are on the free edge? This shape is influenced by fashion and trends but not all clients can wear all shapes. What we do is analyze and compromise, we utilize the trends with in reason to fashion true enhancements. This also needs to be explained, let them verbalize what they like about that trend. Maybe they want to have a change but don't know how to approach you and gradually stop coming. If you had shared your knowledge and educated them they would have an opportunity to vocalize their needs and desires. Maybe they have a big trip planned and want to be a little wild, what if they are getting married and want a softer look than what they've had. Do you provide an opening for them to express their wants? Do they understand how and what will enhance their hands?

Custom manicures, colors you blend specifically for your client. Think about the knowledge and skill this takes. How do you decide how much of which one? Do you let the client dictate their colors? Of course not!!! They may have a suggestion, but rely on your expertise. Using your skills you analyze their skin tone and customize a color for them. Even if you are using a system that has preblended colors that you simply have to choose, you are careful to make certain that the color choice or design is flattering.

What about the length and curve? We all agree that a well done nail should be flattering to the hand, have a C curve and have a gentle well balanced shape from cuticle to free edge. Does your client know why, have you taken the time to explain what you are doing and how you made that choice. I'm lucky in this respect, we are in a school so I spend day after day explaining this to a student and I can honestly say that I try to get the opinions, needs and wants of the client while instructing the student in placement and thickness.

Do you ask your clients what they like about their nails? I'm sure there is something. Ask them about their hands, once you get them started if you really, really listen, they will reveal exactly what they want and expect you to do.

If your client has a wide free edge and a narrow cuticle do you explain what you are doing to correct that, or do you just apply product and finish it out with out ever allowing the client to understand the caliber of service you provide.

The biggest thing I learned at this educational event is that our industry as a whole sells themselves short. We are a very talented, artistic and well educated lot, who sometimes fails to recognize our value. We are in the business of making people beautiful. Who else can do that? Yes a plastic surgeon can, but who among the average working class can afford to have plastic surgery? We are the ONLY industry that can enhance personal appearance, touch another human, and make someone feel beautiful all at the same time. My challenge to you is to educate your clients about what you do, how you do it and why you do it that way. Let them see how "smart" you are. All you have to do is vocalize what you do anyway, how hard can that be?

Here's to you, go forth and get vocal!!

well I'm pleased to say i do all of that. I never just start work without asking my client what she wants doing each and every time. I advise what I think would look best, but eventually it's their choice. I explain why the c-curve is there and why you need rebalances. Basically I don't keep my knowledge a secret, I share it with them ... hell, it's so damned interesting why wouldn't i?!

Only thing I can't do is CBM cos I'm a gel girl! Great article Jeni ... again!!!!! :lol:

Jenni - fab article - thank you for sharing your experiences with us:green:

Latest posts

Back