Going gray

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoeybo91

Reaction score
I’ve been out of the hair game for a while so I’m not up to date on new trends. I have a question on coloring a client’s hair color gray.

She is currently a level 7/8 and has been coloring her hair once a month with kenra color. She wants to go gray so she doesn’t have to keep covering up her natural gray.

My plan is to babylight her whole head and do an all over color once it’s bleached out. I’m going to be using v light for the bleach and a kenra color for the gray.

My question is, when doing the all over color what level developer should I use?

Also, does anyone have any preferences on a specific gray hair color/brand?

Grey hair is a mix of the client’s natural colour with white hair so completely differently to the colour grey. You need to bear this in mind when doing your consultation so the client understands what the results will look like.

If she was using an oxidised colour, use a colour reducer rather than bleach to remove all the colour build up first then use bleach to lift it to a 10.
Tone out the pale yellow first with a violet based toner, then go back and apply your target grey.

You’ve not said what percentage of grey your client has?
If you want to cover the grey, you usually need to use 20vol but check with your brand, (I don’t use Kenra). Otherwise, you could use 10 vol to cover the bleached hair and leave the white hair uncoloured.

Grey hair is a mix of the client’s natural colour with white hair so completely differently to the colour grey. You need to bear this in mind when doing your consultation so the client understands what the results will look like.

If she was using an oxidised colour, use a colour reducer rather than bleach to remove all the colour build up first then use bleach to lift it to a 10.
Tone out the pale yellow first with a violet based toner, then go back and apply your target grey.

You’ve not said what percentage of grey your client has?
If you want to cover the grey, you usually need to use 20vol but check with your brand, (I don’t use Kenra). Otherwise, you could use 10 vol to cover the bleached hair and leave the white hair uncoloured.
Thank you. My client is 100% gray.

I’m really confused now.
If she’s 100% grey, then she’s actually 100% white with no natural colour left.

Does she really want an artificial colour grey or does she want to be white?

She wants to go gray so she doesn’t have to keep coloring her hair. We’re slowly transitioning her to her natural white. She wants an artificial gray to start the transition.

She wants to go gray so she doesn’t have to keep coloring her hair. We’re slowly transitioning her to her natural white. She wants an artificial gray to start the transition.
I would do as you've suggested lighten as much as you can in very fine sections, close together. While your foils are developing I would apply a toner in between the foils to neutralise existing warmth on the existing base colour. After processing rinse and tone your highlights with an appropriate toner depending on the lift achieved. Remember when toning out yellow you need violet. When toning out orange you need blue.
I wouldn't put anymore permanent colour on her roots. Just work with what you have, obviously the highlights will run through her natural, but you can always tone them down to an 8 so they're not bright, and blend in with her natural colour more.

Latest posts

Back