Going into business with a friend

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissLB

Reaction score
i have a good gut feeling that it would work with this particular friend. we have been discussing opening a salon together she does lashes make up but is a qualified beauty therapist. i am trained and qualified in nails and soon to b tanning, im having so much demand at the minute (im part time mobile due to the fact i still work full time in an office the nails alone im make nearly 3/4 of my weekly office wage just doing 3 nights a week and saturdays) i have a few things in the pipeline that would justify me setting up a salon in a local town. obviously cost is the only issue im not in a position to do it on my own, but will be easier havin a partner i can trust and who i know.

we compliment each other are both dedicated and hardworking. were going to see a property tonite obviously nothings in stone and were going to have a good chat about things after the viewing, i do plan on getting a contract involved that covers both of us so neither of us are left open.

ive heard people say not to mix business with pleasure, but generally want peoples advice is it a good idea?

can friends in business together work?

Last edited:
i have a good gut feeling that it would work with this particular friend. we have been discussing opening a salon together she does lashes make up but is a qualified beauty therapist. i am trained and qualified in nails and soon to b tanning, im having so much demand at the minute (im part time mobile due to the fact i still work full time in an office the nails alone im make nearly 3/4 of my weekly office wage just doing 3 nights a week and saturdays) i have a few things in the pipeline that would justify me setting up a salon in a local town. obviously cost is the only issue im not in a position to do it on my own, but will be easier havin a partner i can trust and who i know.

we compliment each other are both dedicated and hardworking. were going to see a property tonite obviously nothings in stone and were going to have a good chat about things after the viewing, i do plan on getting a contract involved that covers both of us so neither of us are left open.

ive heard people say not to mix business with pleasure, but generally want peoples advice is it a good idea?

can friends in business together work?

i personally think no you can't as i tried to with a really good friend of mine and you end up doing most of the work while they swan about. I'd cover your back as things can turn nasty when you have a problematic client or bills/stock etc gets paid or decided on. so really think about it an cover all angles. i.e holidays, sickness, networking etc. good luck anyway

I have read enough stories on here to put me off working with friends!

Although what u offer does go well together, would ur mobile clients be happy to go to a salon? I find all but 1 or 2 of my clients love the fact I come to them as they have children etc.

But being good at what u do, I am sure u would get new customers.

Would u split the rent bills and just keep ur own money seperate?

As said above, holidays and workload need to worked out so neither of u end up feeling unappreciated.

Is ur friend as busy as u with her treatments?

Good luck with what ever u choose to do :) xx

Every situation is different and this isn't to say it can't work but personally I would approach with caution.
I think whilst you can know someone very well as a friend, to work with someone is very different, especially if you have 'similar' roles.
I had this conversation With my friend a couple of months ago who was buying a restaurant and employing a long time close friend as the chef. She assured me there was No risk to the friendship. Lo and behold, two months in and she has sacked him and they no longer speak!!

On a more positive note, congratulations on business going so well. Exciting! Good luck in deciding

I really don't recommend it having done it myself. Everything sounds good at the time but as already said when you are left doing all the work to cover outgoings and they don't have the same dedication it becomes a living nightmare. I eventually left when she refused to be bought out, hard decision but best ever. I am now happy in my work again and many clients followed me anyway. Think about it hard and if you can do it alone even in another year I would do that. Good luck and let us know what you decide

Hi
Me and my friend went into partnership 11 years ago and it has been brilliant. We offer different types of treatments (She's nails I'm beauty) we have had a salon and worked self employed. It's been swings and rounder bouts over marriages, maternity and holidays but over the years it has worked out pretty even.
It's really important you both have the same work ethic and vision for your business. Other differences are good, I'm more financially minded and she's creative so we naturally fell into different rolls.
Our only mistake was to run the business as if we were employees. We should have stayed self employed and paid in an equal rent. But that's more of an accounting issue.
Good luck it doesn't work for everyone but it has for us
Josie x

Difficult one. I set up a salon with a friend, I took on all the financial risk and she rented half the salon from me. All worked ok for a while, separate tills etc.
But after a while I was so quiet I used to answer the phone and then make drinks then all of a sudden felt like an unpaid employee!
Made for an atmosphere as if I decided to have a day off (if I had no bookings) that seemed to be a problem as shock horror she had to answer the phone herself!
She eventually got pregnant and handed in her rental notice - best thing really. After a few months I could no longer continue on my own and left, am much happier working from home but lost a fortune walking away from the lease and the thousands of pounds I spent doing up the salon.
So I would never do it again, but only you know what the relationship between you and your friend is like.
Good luck with whatever choice you make xxc

thanks for ur input guys, lots to think about before jumping into this. we spent 4 hours after discussing and both know its not something to rush into. she is busy with a wedding hair and make up business she has with a friend of hers thats a hairdresser so it all needs to b taken into account she is busy with her lashes but doesnt advertise as much as me just on fb. it turns out she actually knows the guy and his gf that own the property so now its just a case of really thinking about it. thanks again really appreciated but glad someones had a good experience so it can work if done eith the rite person. x

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back