Going mad trying to find a makeup course!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurakate

Reaction score
Omg! Just want to find a course near Milton Keynes in Level 3 Fashion and Photographic Makeup! Loads elsewhere (north of England and London) but need a local course. Help!

The above is the only course I want to do and it needs to be vtct/city and guilds/itec. No more no less.

Seriously it's driving me mad trying to find something having been scouring the internet for something for months! Help!

Have you thought about contacting the accrediting bodies to see if they have a list of approved providers in your area? I would have thought they should be able to give you information about where the nearest approved course would be offered?

Done it. Their answers were less comprehensive than my own research so that was really disappointing.

I would consider travelling for the course but travel/food/hotels could easily turn it into a monster. That's the frustration really.

Laurakate, do you anyone doing make up training for absolute beginners in Milton Keynes? I would love to go to few courses myself and couldn't find anything in MK.

Laurakate, do you anyone doing make up training for absolute beginners in Milton Keynes? I would love to go to few courses myself and couldn't find anything in MK.

Finding a beginners course is not too difficult. There are lots of colleges in and around mk who offer level 2 makeup as a part time course. Some of these will be starting in January ;)

I'm placing emphasis on qualification based courses here but to me that's important because it means it is standardised and you know what you're paying for so to me that feels safer than a certificate of attendance (of which there are also a few offered in and around mk).

Absolutely agree with you regarding qualifications. If you are going to suggest this service to other people then you have to make sure you have best qualifications, but I am looking this only for myself so it should be easier :)
Thank you, I will look around, maybe I misslooked xx

Absolutely agree with you regarding qualifications. If you are going to suggest this service to other people then you have to make sure you have best qualifications, but I am looking this only for myself so it should be easier :)
Thank you, I will look around, maybe I misslooked xx

If it is for self education for self application only it could be worth going to some makeup counters. I've got it on my to do list to go to a mac counter with this in mind. Also, Illamasqua (sp) do three hour courses for specific things like smokey eyes, foundation etc.

Also, I find that if I am discerning in my use of youtube, there can be a good goldmine of stuff on there too, especially with regards to self application.

It isn't really very economical for venues to offer single modules. So when they do they offer the most popular - which your choice isn't! Hence your very limited selection of centres.

Can I ask why you only want to do 1 module rather than a full diploma?

Another option is to find your ultimate course & then simply convert it to an externally assessed qualification. For instance 10 years ago I did all my makeup studying at the Delamar. I translated it to a level 3 in Make-up artistry last year.

I found a centre to register me & then simply did the portfolio/assessments at a small cost. The level 3 requirements were very basic but I thought I'd get the diploma as well "just in case".

Really helpful reply thanks :)

Would love to do the full diploma but just don't have the money and absolutely don't want to take out the twenty four plus loan.

There's a north south divide going on here. There are loads of courses at colleges in the north of England for the unit I want to do. I would like to teach on such evening course one day but currently I'm based in the south and that's where I need to take the qualification. I want to do this unit in particular because it is most commonly done as evening courses up north where I want to teach.

I have five years experience including spas and bridal so an assessment route only would be great if you could recommend me somewhere that may be able to help me with this.

It isn't really very economical for venues to offer single modules. So when they do they offer the most popular - which your choice isn't! Hence your very limited selection of centres.

Can I ask why you only want to do 1 module rather than a full diploma?

Another option is to find your ultimate course & then simply convert it to an externally assessed qualification. For instance 10 years ago I did all my makeup studying at the Delamar. I translated it to a level 3 in Make-up artistry last year.

I found a centre to register me & then simply did the portfolio/assessments at a small cost. The level 3 requirements were very basic but I thought I'd get the diploma as well "just in case".

I'm sure you're experienced enough to do the assessments/portfolio but to convert you have to prove that you studied a certain amount of guided learning hours at an appropriate training facility.

I held advanced qualifications in makeup so simply submitted the evidence & was marked off on learning hours. That's why I suggested choosing your ultimate makeup course & converting it later. In terms of conversion it's just a case of ringing round the registered centres as quite a few were willing to enter me.

With regards to teaching I am sorry to be a downer but I don't see how it would be cost effective to hire a tutor who only held the 1 module qualification. One would hire the tutor who is qualified to teach the diplomas & if you then decide to run individual modules from the diplomas they teach those too. It's very expensive to hire staff.

Of course if you wanted to teach independently then all you need is a qualification in the subject you wish to teach.

Perhaps a year of saving & then a re-evaluation?

Some colleges will hire very part time beauty staff though. I wouldn't be well enough to teach the hours of a full time diploma (even at colleges that do the course over 2/3 days) so everything I hope to teach is a bit of a gamble anyways (used to do long hours in spas but my health changed and now I can't teach massage or full time...plan is to prepare myself as best as I can to be an evening course teacher and send off speculative applications to be on a casual teaching bank...also got academic subjects I can offer but the evening course nature of the fashion and photographic makeup unit is a big pro for me. The worst they could say is no but I really want to give myself the best chance even if my job application might be a shot in the dark).

I see what you're saying though. In this regard it's important to me to find a course where the fees and location are not so nuts that the gamble I am perhaps taking becomes disproportionate. Which makes me think "where's the local courses?!" (If I still lived near Manchester/Liverpool I'd be inundated with a choice of course providers, both college and private. That's why it's so frustrating that I can't find anything near me).

I'm sure you're experienced enough to do the assessments/portfolio but to convert you have to prove that you studied a certain amount of guided learning hours at an appropriate training facility.

I held advanced qualifications in makeup so simply submitted the evidence & was marked off on learning hours. That's why I suggested choosing your ultimate makeup course & converting it later. In terms of conversion it's just a case of ringing round the registered centres as quite a few were willing to enter me.

With regards to teaching I am sorry to be a downer but I don't see how it would be cost effective to hire a tutor who only held the 1 module qualification. One would hire the tutor who is qualified to teach the diplomas & if you then decide to run individual modules from the diplomas they teach those too. It's very expensive to hire staff.

Of course if you wanted to teach independently then all you need is a qualification in the subject you wish to teach.

Perhaps a year of saving & then a re-evaluation?

Ah...

Well it seems you have a firm agenda & sound reasons for your pathway. I'm sorry I can't be more help & wish you luck on your quest :)

Ah...

Well it seems you have a firm agenda & sound reasons for your pathway. I'm sorry I can't be more help & wish you luck on your quest :)

Thanks :) if money was no object I would love to do a part time higher education course in makeup. That looks like an amazing way to get some really handson experience. Will keep shopping around :)

Latest posts

Back