Going mobile/new business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minx87

Reaction score
need some help, not sure how renting a room works and the types of places to approach about a room, is it just hairdressers?

i love beauty and really want to be self employed and make a good go of it so need advice on renting rooms/price lists etc

thanks geeks

My friend has just rented a room above a hairdressers. Think it's £100 a month but the salon down the road from me is offering a room to rent but is only offering it to therapists who offer different treatments than her e.g. She doesn't offer any massage treatments.
Another girl has just done a deal with a small piercing studio too to rent out the floor above. Personally I think above a hairdressers makes more sense.

I've just set myself up from home and I'm feeling so scared haha! With my price lists I just looked at all the salons in my area and charged abit less than them but made sure I was still in profit. I just need to be patient and build up a clientele.

Hope it all works out
Debbie x

thanks for the advice

i just want a career in beauty so much i hate my office job and cant think of anything worse than not being able to pursue what i truly enjoy!

i just keep thinking i have very little experience and a spa/salon wont take me on coz im not qualified in this or dont have training in that but i know mobile business takes a while to build up

im just so deeply unhappy in my job and i feel if i rent a room somewhere it gives me some experience and i know ill be happy :)

thanks for the advice

i just want a career in beauty so much i hate my office job and cant think of anything worse than not being able to pursue what i truly enjoy!

i just keep thinking i have very little experience and a spa/salon wont take me on coz im not qualified in this or dont have training in that but i know mobile business takes a while to build up

im just so deeply unhappy in my job and i feel if i rent a room somewhere it gives me some experience and i know ill be happy :)

Okay, here comes the essay:o
Hello, there are no hard and fast rules on renting a room or table, a lot depends on the location.
First thing I would do is get your yellow pages out and ring every hairdressers that is in the area's where you would like to work.
Once you've found a room the next bit is to sort out a contract between you and the owner.
There are lots of threads on this subject so I'll let you hit the search button and get reading rather than recapping it all here, but do have a pad and pen handy to write things down, you will need it:)
Part of that I think for you would be to try to negotiate a % rather than a rent. If you are supplying everything for yourself, products, tools furniture, than 20 or 25% of your earnings to the rooms owner would be about right. If they are going to supply everything, than their take would be about 60% See if you can get this arrangement for the first year. To be reviewed. That way if you don't have any customers for the first couple of weeks (or months) you won't have to worry about finding money to pay for the room.
Next you need to advertise, again there are a lot of threads on here, so I'll just say, Happy Reading:D Oh and check out Lynn Barkers guide (on here) about marketing, also Sassy Hassey wrote a good one. They cover everything and how to do it.
Finally, don't make the mistake of going cheep. You get the chancer, this is the client who is always looking for the cheapest deal, once you put your prices up they are gone and you are back to square one, having to find clients all over again. The chancer is also the most likely person to not show up, demand a refund when they over spend after a night on the town leaves them with no money for their ciggys and they in general are just not worth the effort it takes to keep them happy.
Remember you are doing this because you have bills to pay.
Please, from the bottom of my heart, please, find out now how to fill in self assessment forms. Go to the HMRS web site, talk to your bank, take a book keeping course at your college, but don't come here on January 28th with a dead line of January 31st to find out how to fill it in.
There are some very well educated people on here, but if they get it wrong saying to the tax man 'but a geek told me to do it that way' will not keep you out of trouble.
Don't get me wrong, I love being self employed, no boss, except the one inside my head, I take my business in the direction I want. I work when I want to (at the moment I'm at college) But, do it right, plan it carefully, think of all the things that can go wrong and plan for them. It's a big step, do it right and you'll never look back, do it wrong and you could end up paying for it for years to come.
Good luck with making your dream come true.

i just keep thinking i have very little experience and a spa/salon wont take me on coz im not qualified in this or dont have training in that
im just so deeply unhappy in my job and i feel if i rent a room:)

Please tell me you have training? The way this reads is you have no qualification in beauty? If you don't have training you won't even be able to work for yourself :s

yes i am a fully qualified therapist, ive just been unable to get a job since coz i have no salon experience

Okay, here comes the essay:o
Hello, there are no hard and fast rules on renting a room or table, a lot depends on the location.
First thing I would do is get your yellow pages out and ring every hairdressers that is in the area's where you would like to work.
Once you've found a room the next bit is to sort out a contract between you and the owner.
There are lots of threads on this subject so I'll let you hit the search button and get reading rather than recapping it all here, but do have a pad and pen handy to write things down, you will need it:)
Part of that I think for you would be to try to negotiate a % rather than a rent. If you are supplying everything for yourself, products, tools furniture, than 20 or 25% of your earnings to the rooms owner would be about right. If they are going to supply everything, than their take would be about 60% See if you can get this arrangement for the first year. To be reviewed. That way if you don't have any customers for the first couple of weeks (or months) you won't have to worry about finding money to pay for the room.
Next you need to advertise, again there are a lot of threads on here, so I'll just say, Happy Reading:D Oh and check out Lynn Barkers guide (on here) about marketing, also Sassy Hassey wrote a good one. They cover everything and how to do it.
Finally, don't make the mistake of going cheep. You get the chancer, this is the client who is always looking for the cheapest deal, once you put your prices up they are gone and you are back to square one, having to find clients all over again. The chancer is also the most likely person to not show up, demand a refund when they over spend after a night on the town leaves them with no money for their ciggys and they in general are just not worth the effort it takes to keep them happy.
Remember you are doing this because you have bills to pay.
Please, from the bottom of my heart, please, find out now how to fill in self assessment forms. Go to the HMRS web site, talk to your bank, take a book keeping course at your college, but don't come here on January 28th with a dead line of January 31st to find out how to fill it in.
There are some very well educated people on here, but if they get it wrong saying to the tax man 'but a geek told me to do it that way' will not keep you out of trouble.
Don't get me wrong, I love being self employed, no boss, except the one inside my head, I take my business in the direction I want. I work when I want to (at the moment I'm at college) But, do it right, plan it carefully, think of all the things that can go wrong and plan for them. It's a big step, do it right and you'll never look back, do it wrong and you could end up paying for it for years to come.
Good luck with making your dream come true.

Firstly thanks for your handy hints this really helps and will search on the forum about how to advertise etc

I have enquired with hmrc about going on a couple of their workshops for going newly self employed so i hope this helps and have also started making a list of all local hairdressers

i will keep u posted on my progress:biggrin:

Latest posts

Back