going mobile right out of school?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deb379

Reaction score
If you train to become a hairdresser do you have to start off in a salon? Can you not go mobile?

Regards
Deb379

Going Mobile would be near impossible to actually make any profit from.
You need to get a clientèle base first and that is done in a wage paying salon.
Once you get your clientèle base and for that you should be booked in advance 2-3 weeks then you could go mobile.

But then again you are "stealing" clients from the salon if you enlist clients that are not referrals to you.
Any referrals made at a wage paying salon are your clients and are the ones that you can legally take with you. Any clients that the salon has produced for you are the salons clients.

Does that apply to a freelance or self employed hairdresser who rents a chair as well?

Regards
Deb379

Does that apply to a freelance or self employed hairdresser who rents a chair as well?

Regards
Deb379

Tell me your definition of the difference between self employed and freelance.
to me they are the same thing.
Now there is self employed in a salon and self employed mobile.

Either way you are going to have a difficult time making money UNless you have the clientèle base first.

I agree Jayne.

You can't run a business either mobile or renting a chair in a salon without any clients. And if you rent a chair you cannot rely on the salon to bring in clients for you.

Also in my opinion you haven't got enough knowledge and experience to be mobile and go it alone straight out of school/college. You need to learn from others and have vital back up if you need it.

You learn so much in your first year and its nice to learn from others and gain confidence while having a safety net of a salon around you.

I am a mobile and not yet left my college. I hav enot stole any clients from any salon, and I think that it is a clients choise if they do want to stick with you. I do lots of courses by manufacturers and really I have collected my clientele by practising and charging a little bit towartds the cost of the products that I use and then when I have a bit more experiencde, I have raised my charges. I think that to go to salon to work is everyones choise, but I do not think that the wages to work for someone are that great I would be interested. I am earning lots more by being mobile. I officially have an opportunity to start to work for my self and I am certain that if people like the work you do, they will recommend you to others. If you think that you would like to have a go, and you financially can, then go for it girl. Who knows, you might be the next Nicky Clarke.

Latest posts

Back