Going mobile the good and the bad !!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jules b

Reaction score
hello everyone!
ive just took the plunge in becoming a mobile beauty therapist, finished my courses last year but decided to wait until my youngest started school this year. A bit nervous about going to peoples houses but im sure it will be fine. just wondering if you have any advice or stories to share just so i know what im getting into AHHHHHHHH

thanks

julia xx

I love being mobile. Here is my advise from experience.

Get some professional looking price lists made up as these are the equivalent of a salon shop front. I would suggest that you leave a couple of your price list with every client to pass onto their friends, don't be afraid to say you are starting up your business so if they know anyone who may be interested to pass on your info.

Make sure you buy just what you need and think about decantering products into small bottles so they are easier to carry.

It may also be an idea to do a brief consultation over the phone when people want to book.

Buy a wheely trolley.

Buy the best lightweight couch and chair you can afford.

Make sure you have plastic sheeting to protect clients floors.

Make your treatments as luxurious as possible.

Take a scented candle and suggest clients put on their favorite relaxing music.

Make sure your towels and sheets and covers match and are kept clean and fresh (I had a mobile treatment from a therapist with raggerdy miss match towels, it screamed unprofessional).

Put a clear answerphone message on your phone so that potential clients feel inclined to leave a message if you are in treatments.

Arive on time for appointments, this may mean leaving longer time than you think you need before treatments as the traffic can be unpredictable.

Most of all enjoy x :hug:

Used to be mobile when I started. Now I work from home and I find it heaps better to stay in one place and let them come to me.

I found all the posts really interesting reading tho.

I must say when I was mobile I couldn't have done without my

a) folding table (round or square ones which most people have just make you twist your back all the time and if you have a spillage it's on your table not theirs)

b) my height adjustable mobile stool (otherwise you get given low chairs, high chairs, chairs with arms so you can't move yours freely) and

c) my Daylight Portable Lamp (people stick you in dingy corners and expect you to be able to work!)

Thanks for the advice, when its a new venture its a bit daunting, all ive done at the moment is friends and family so its been in familiar surroundings, i have built up my products and equipment slowly since last year, but from your advice i still need a few things eg lamp, trolley, etc do you think its best printing your own leaflets or getting them done pro? i done some buisness cards with vistaprint which ive handed out at the school but im unsure what to do about price lists.

thanks julia xx

I'm mobile and have been for about a year. I love it and can work my hours around the kids.

I don't advertise cos I want to know who I'm gonna to going to or at least know a vvvvv good friend of theirs. Its all been word of mouth.

Re pricelists, as you've got some through vista I would use them again trying to use a similar format to show professionalism and consistency.

Good luck and don't hesitate to contact me in future if you need any further advice.

x

Hello lisa

Thanks for your support, ive just really given my cards to friends and girls at the school, i had nothing last week, but ive 4 eyebrow wax/tints this week and 2 eyelash perms so its a start. with my daughter not starting full time school until sept i dont mind if it builds up slowy, like you say word of mouth is better. i done a gel nail course aswell but i feel i need to concentrate on the beauty for the moment and build on that to give a good service.

thanks julia xx

And i will contact you if i need advice! cheers xxxxxxxxxxx

never forget to put your beauty table in the car. Once i got all my bits in the car as I was off for a night of waxing. got to the clients house only to realise that i had left it at home. not a good idea. it was a bit of luck that her husband was in the army and was able to get hold of one of there collapsable tables otherwise it would of taken me 40 mins to get home and 40 mins back. I always now remember my table !!!!

great advice tracey thanks! give me a few months and i bet i have a few horror storiesto tell, im not the best organised person, so im sure i will forget something.

julia x

Forgetting bits is one of my worst faults.

i went all the way to someones house and had forgot my whole nail kit - how that happened I do not know. And I wasnt hungover.

If you're worried about forgetting something, make a list of everything that you'll need, then check it off as you put it in the car. It's really embarrassing when you forget something basic. I went to do a wax at someone's house once and found out when I got there that I didn't have any wax strips. Oops...

great advice, ive just been to a local salon for my bikini line done ouch! i was the first customer, the room was lovely and warm but i noticed straight away the waste bin was full to the top with other peoples used wax strips - surely all the cleaning and waste disposed of should be done at the end of the day.
maybe im just been picky as been mobile you clean up as you go.

julia x

I would expect in a salon for the bin to be emptied either at the end of the day (if the bin had a cover) or after each client if you can see into the bin.

I have a question for mobile, how do you work out travelling time and fuel costs into your prices? Or do you charge ontop of the prices for this for different areas?

hello hannah

ive just done my prices roughly the same as a salon, ive only done local friends and family so havent had to travel far and some people have came to the house. ive done a leaflet drop of about 200 - now just waiting to see if phone rings!!

julia x:|

Latest posts

Back