Going Mobile

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlz

Reaction score
I am just starting to look into being a mobile beauty therapist.
I dont really know where to start? What comes first?

I need to borrow £2,000 but cant get a business loan from a bank. Are there any goverment grants or any other help?

All help greatly appreciated:eek:

Hi Carlz

There are places that do small business grants out there, this link provides a tiny bit of info but theres a lot more out there

Business link - Grants info

Unfortunately it can be a long slow process to put in an application and most have quite strict rules for who is eligible and who is not. Some also need you to have a percentage of the capital yourself so they will only 'top up' your investment and not provide all of it.

It is always worth a try though so long as you have a good solid business plan. It needs to be as thorough as it can be and have almost all eventualities covered.

Your business plan really is your greatest friend when setting up in business when looking for funding. Many people who are looking for funding look to the people they know who may want to invest a little money in their project. Even when dealing with people you know, a business plan is very important as they will want to see that you know exactly how you are going to make their money back. lol

Also if you are wanting to start up but dont have your full investment funding, you might want to look at starting on a slightly smaller scale. Looking at which of those items in your 2000 budget are necessary to get you into business. Some services can be introduced at a later time when you have a small clientelle and are seeing some cashflow coming in.
That way you are greatly reducing the amount of money you stand to lose if your client base does not take off the way you would wish.

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/layer?r.s=sl&r.lc=en&topicId=1073869074

Thanks Skymark! I have tried getting a grant but I am not entitled to one because the business is mobile. I cant get a bank loan because I have bad credit form when I was younger. I am waiing for the council to get back to me to see if they can help. But it looks like I have to save the money up and for my plan to take a back seat.

Hi Carlz

Im in a similar position to you - Im mobile but have had to build up my stock/equipment slowly. I started building up stuff when I was in college, made sure I stuck to the same brands etc. and Im doing ok now. Its taken a bit of a back seat at the moment cos Im pregnant and cant be lugging my couch around!!

I notice you live in Monmouth - I live in Cwmbran - did you know there was a trade warehouse in Cwmbran? Ive picked up loads of bits from there when Ive had a bit of spare cash.

Hope that helps and good luck!

I advertised pamper parties before i had any products etcm they were slightly on the cheap side like...then when i got one booked i obught qall my products;
mani, pedi,eyes i was able to buy then jst saved £60 and bought one of thgose babyliss waxing starter kits from wholesalers and was lucky enough to get some facial products off my mate but dint really use them.
then whatever else i needed i bought in lil bits.

Don't know on earth you'd need 2k for starting up mobile..?

I forgot to say...
Good luck xxx

I think if you wanted to get everything you might need, and brand new you're probably looking at £1 -£2k. Not sure really - never added it up!

Forgot to say, I got my mobile beauty couch and my wax kit from ebay for £80. I know a lot of people on here wouldnt recommend ebay but for something like that I dont see why not. You take the same risks as you would buying anything.

Let us know how you get on!

xx

Latest posts

Back