Going mobile

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mels

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,I am new to this colum,I am presently self employed in a salon but due to everything going on at the moment was thinking of going mobile!I have always worked with the same group of people for 10-20 years so will be a huge leap for me!90% of me wants the change but the other 10% is holding me back.worried about how to space bookings out in book ,washing over the sink ,should I bring my own shampoo/conditioner?I keep hearing about registering with the council ,why do I need to do this?

When you’re mobile yes you need to bring your own shampoo & conditioner! I can earn the same amount of money doing 1 client a day cut & colour to what I was earning doing 10 cuts a day being knackered & stressed in the salon !

Hi Thanks for replying 😃I’m just abit wary because of the unknown!Did u register with your local council?Shampoos and conditioners did u buy ones for different hair types?

Hi no but I have a bectu insurance as I’m a makeup artist too.
I just bring ones for coloured hair and then men use that too & it’s never been a problem

Hi no but I have a bectu insurance as I’m a makeup artist too.
I just bring ones for coloured hair and then men use that too & it’s never been a problem
I already have salon gold insurance,but I read u needed to register with the council and I wondered why?

I’m registered as self employed. Other than that I don’t know 🤷🏼‍♀️
I’ve been freelance for 19 years and never had a problem

I’m registered as self employed. Other than that I don’t know 🤷🏼‍♀️
I’ve been freelance for 19 years and never had a problem
Ok thanks 👍

I already have salon gold insurance,but I read u needed to register with the council and I wondered why?

It depends on your local council and the services that you offer.
Some councils have enacted bylaws that require self employed people to register with them and prove their qualifications and insurance cover. Generally, its for services that involve more stringent hygiene measures such as microblading so hairdressers aren’t normally included.

However, your council might be different, so a quick phone call will resolve your issue.

It’s unusual to go from being self employed in a salon to working mobile, usually, it’s the other way round. What’s made you want to switch especially, as you’re more in control of sanitation and hygiene in a salon setting?

I am paying a lot of rent to rent a chair.When we reopened I was really busy but it has slackened off,So barely covering my rent some days!I think some of my clients are still isolating and some are doing their own colours or going somewhere cheaper.Still undecided what to do ,have text clients 3/4 say they will go mobile,it’s the whole washing hair over the bath and making sure I spaced clients in between appointments!Hope that makes sense!

Hey. Fairly different but I have a little salon within a gym so can’t open so working from my house and visiting some clients. Loving it that much that I’ve now decided to give up the salon. Can do less clients with no rent etc. I’ve also bought a portable back wash unit that is really light to carry and means you can wash your clients hair comfortably 🤗

Hey. Fairly different but I have a little salon within a gym so can’t open so working from my house and visiting some clients. Loving it that much that I’ve now decided to give up the salon. Can do less clients with no rent etc. I’ve also bought a portable back wash unit that is really light to carry and means you can wash your clients hair comfortably 🤗
Thanks for your feedback 👍

Do u mind me asking where you got the portable backwash from,just wondering how I would rinse colours and foils off?x

This is my portable backwash:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Large-Ad...576345?hash=item3b4e4a8259:g:BMkAAOSwcylfXI~g
It detaches from stand so transports very easily. I take a bucket for the hose to go into and empty it in the client's sink or toilet. It's height adjustable too, which has been useful in the past. It is worth every single penny, and will set you apart from all the other mobile hairdressers in the area who don't use one.

Shampoo wise I couldn't afford to stock up on the complete range when starting out so had a couple of basic ones and just brought more when the bookings came in. Even now, my range is as follows:
Shampoo - Clarifying, Colour protect, Purple.
Conditioner - Anti-oxy (General purpose), deep conditioner. (Some colour services I use my bond system step 2 instead of the regular conditioner).

I find this covers all my needs perfectly.

Well done for taking the plunge and hope it goes well 😊

Latest posts

Back