going on holiday? give your fellow geeks advise, pics & Tips!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beautyathome

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Where are you going on holiday or have you been? I am going to Sardinia in a couple of days and wanted to know anyone else been there? What did you think of it? Did you like it? Do you have tips, pics or advise about the island? be nice to hear from you if you have.
thank you :)

never been to Sardinia so can't give any hints or tips there...but I hope you have a great time.

We went on holiday in February to Disneyland, Paris... then in April for a long weekend in Benidorm...( which is 35 minutes away :eek: )

then we are doing the Benidorm one again in November...
and Disneyland,Paris for Christmas :lol:

never been to Sardinia so can't give any hints or tips there...but I hope you have a great time.

We went on holiday in February to Disneyland, Paris... then in April for a long weekend in Benidorm...( which is 35 minutes away :eek: )

then we are doing the Benidorm one again in November...
and Disneyland,Paris for Christmas :lol:
Is Benidorm really like they say it is Jo?

I only ask,as i watched a comedy show called "benidorm"...loud mouthed british people from Northern UK,in a concrete jungle hotel...:eek: not my kind of holiday but please dont feel offended...im just not a sun lover...:smack::hug:

Oh...as for our holiday...well you guessed it ...going back home...LMAO...6 days to go,and CANT wait to see friends again,drink wine,be stress free,and make love all day long...!!!:green:

In april i went to turkey on a last min deal with my bessie mate (we booked it, packed it and fooked off leaving hubbies at home)
Next weekend i am going to paris as hubby is doing pedal to paris sponsered bike ride from greenwich to paris over 4 days, us wags are going first class on euro star pmsl at that one.
Then on the 22 of sept we are going to florida for 2 weeks, we have family there so nice an cheap while we are there we are going to drive to columbia in south carolina as my dad is buried there then go back to florida and do a 3 night cruise to the bahamas prob is now its hurricane season so not really looking forward to that:eek:

MySpace.com - busybeebarbarella - 32 - Female - peterborough, UK - www.myspace.com/busybeebarbarella

I only ask,as i watched a comedy show called "benidorm"...loud mouthed british people from Northern UK,in a concrete jungle hotel...:eek: not my kind of holiday but please dont feel offended...im just not a sun lover...:smack::hug:

Oh...as for our holiday...well you guessed it ...going back home...LMAO...6 days to go,and CANT wait to see friends again,drink wine,be stress free,and make love all day long...!!!:green:

I personally have been to Benidorm more times than I care to remember - its a really nice atmos, almost like Britain abroad - yes there are the rowdy parts - but whatever floats your boat lol -

Also - a bit too much info on what you will be upto in France!!!:eek::lol:

Went to Dubai in June with mates, on the Jumeria Beach, Fab Hotels, people, jewellery and shops!!

It's been the best place in the world I've been too, infact, im thinking of moving over there.....Didn't see one nail salon in any of the malls....:idea::eek: the local women in their black veiled gowns were grabbing my hands while paying at the tills, asking where i had my nails done, lovely at first, but got to be a bit of a pain keep explaining!! lol

Going again in 2 weeks, just had to take my partner....If ever you get the chance to go...GO!

Beware.....It's flipping Boiling HOT!!

Ooooerrr missus :eek:

Anyway...lol...yes Benidorm is like the show on t.v. It pretty crap to be honest but it has it's good points...
We saw an ad in the local paper for a hotel in Benidorm...€24.50 full board per person per night...so I checked on trip advisor and saw it got terrific reviews. For hubby and me and one child it cost us €144 for 3 nights 4 days full board..( children are free ). Well it was fantastic...food was great...we loved being 'common' for the weekend ( don't mean to offend anyone ). We never moved from the hotel...we just went for a laugh really but it turned out quite good fun. So we are going back when the cheap season starts.
Also it was fantastic going on a holiday that took 30 minutes or so to get there!!! As for the loud mouthed Northern people..:lol::lol::lol: Moi??? Oui !!!
I hate the sun too...we just went for the food and the Full Monty show that they do. I did a review for it on trip advisor.

We drove from here in Spain to Disneyland and we had the BEST time ever...loved everything about it...stopping in the Formula 1's in France was a scream...thought the people were great...we couldn't wait to book again...but this time we are flying.

Eat pizza, drink vino, taste fab ice-cream, drink vino, shop for shoes and handbags, drink vino ....

Have a great time :hug:

We are big on our holidays!! This year we've done Tokyo, Cedar Point theme park Ohio and Chicago, Amsterdam, Mr Fozzyo is going to New York this week, and then we are in Dubai between Christmas and New Year!

My top ten tips:

1) Don't over plan, just have a small list of a few key places / events you want to do. Anything else is a bonus rather then missing loads which is a dissapointment.
2) Mix your luggage up ... half of yours in the other halfs and vice-versa, just in case one gets lost you'll have some clothes and shoes!
3) Your on holiday - treat yourself to an Airport lounge. We are very lucky as Mr F has access to lounges around the world with his American Express and Frequent Flyer cards. But before he had them we used to pre-book lounges if doing long-haul flights. They cost about £15 a person, but you'll get unlimited drink (alcholic included in most) and nibbles included in the price. Much quieter then waiting in the crowded Departures area and if your flight is delayed your much more comfortable and have papers, magazines to read, some even have games consoles to play!
4) Join your airlines Frequent Flyer programme. Even if you fly just once a year. Pick an airline that fly's to most destinations that you'll want to go to, include their Partner airlines in this. Then each time you fly collect their Airmiles.
5) If you really want free flights get the credit card for the Frequent Flyer programme you choose. We use ours instead of our debit card - so its always run on a £0 at the end of the month to ensure no interest charges, set credit limit low to avoid temptation. Then for each pound you spend you'll get one or two miles. Not much, but think about how much you spend each year on your debit card ... surprisingly quickly you will start to build up your mileage and can then pay for your flight with airmiles!!
6) Read up ... i always get a Rough Guide to where I'm going, Mr F always gets Time Out. We have found some amazing restaurants and sites through them.
7) Use TripAdvisor.com when booking hotels. We do all our travel independently now - the Internet has made it soo much easier. Trip Advisor lets visitors rate and review hotels they been. They can also upload "candid user photo's" so you can see what the hotel really looks like, not what the brochure says.
8) Shop around for flights and hotels. We usually book our flights direct with the airlines, however sometimes Expedia have excellent fares on hotels and flights. Use TravelSupermarket.com - this is an excellent price comparison site for travel.
9) When hiring a car in America (particularly Orlando) look at what size you really need - will a smallish car be ok? We always book the smallest car they have at Hertz, because its America and they don't do small cars so we always get upgraded a few levels. Last time we had a convertable ... lived our Thelma & Louise fantasy out.
10) Cameras are Digital now - take loads and loads and loads of photo's! You can delete the rubbish ones and print the ones you like the best. When printing photos go to somewhere like Jessops or use the BonusPrint website. Don't use the small "photo printers" they work out between 5 and 10 times more expensive!

My bonus travel tips:
11) Remember your passport and tickets!
12) ATM's in most countries will take your Maestro / Credit card so don't take loads of cash, take it from the hole in the wall. Check with your bank first for any charges before you go - if your lucky there aren't any and you'll get a much better exchange rate.

I really have thought at times of writing a guide to being your own indepent travel agent, how to get the most out of travel, how to use the Interweb to find out about your destination and general travel advice and tips.

Hope this helped - please feel free to ask with any questions!

Mat xx

Eat pizza, drink vino, taste fab ice-cream, drink vino, shop for shoes and handbags, drink vino ....

Have a great time :hug:

I Intend to, lol
Thank you

I personally have been to Benidorm more times than I care to remember - its a really nice atmos, almost like Britain abroad - yes there are the rowdy parts - but whatever floats your boat lol -

Also - a bit too much info on what you will be upto in France!!!:eek::lol:

I love Benidorm to !

Although when I watched the programme Benidorm I was a bit dissapointed we didn't have any guests like that in our hotel !

If anything I actually thought it was full of OAPS :eek:

We stayed in the Melia hotel and I loved it, the newer hotels are a bit further from the beach so something to bear in mind if you like a sea view !

Im going to Tenerife this week so if anyone has any tips please let me know ! :green:

I love Tenerife but the last time I went was 1994!

Went to Las Americas a few times but my absolute fave was Los Gigantes area...we used to stay in Hotel Santiago just over the hill...they used to do Sprout salad..this has reminded me..lol I must go to the sprout thread and tell them...

Only advice I could give was take extra money for the duty free...a lot cheaper there than mainland Spain..well it used to be, presume it still is.

Have a fab holiday btw xx

My advice is to save your oldish undies during the year, then you can take them and throw them out when worn once. Ok, take some nice ones too for going out, but who's going to know what's under your shorts when you are on a day trip? Do the same with nighties. This way you don't have as much washing to come back to, lighter luggage, with more room for souveniers.

I am going to Florida for Christmas:):):):):):) So excited!!!!!!!!
We went 3 years ago for christmas and it was fab,we spent christmas day in Disneys magic kingdom:hug:
It has taken 3 years to save and we are off to do it again this year. We have a villa and private pool though this year.which worked out cheaper than a room in a self catering hotel:irked::!:

Have never been to Sardinia but have heard its fab!!
have a lovely hol xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I am going to Florida for Christmas:):):):):):) So excited!!!!!!!!
We went 3 years ago for christmas and it was fab,we spent christmas day in Disneys magic kingdom:hug:
It has taken 3 years to save and we are off to do it again this year. We have a villa and private pool though this year.which worked out cheaper than a room in a self catering hotel:irked::!:

Have never been to Sardinia but have heard its fab!!
have a lovely hol xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ooh I'm going to Florida for Christmas as well. We spent last new year in the Magic Kingdom. It's packed but the fireworks and atmosphere are fantastic.
We have a week at the Animal Kingdom Lodge in Disney then two weeks in a villa. Can't wait......

Hope everyone has fantastic hollys wherever you are going...

Latest posts

Back