Going Pro!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tracybubbles

Reaction score
Hello Ladies,

After much deliberation and soul searching I have decided on a massive career change and to train professionally as a nail technician. I have been passionate (to the point of obsessive)about all aspects of nails for as long as I can remember and feel its the right time to put my enthusiasm to good use.

However I have a few questions and after lurking on this site for ages I realise there is no better place to have them answered.

Regarding training, there are various college courses offering national qualifications in most aspects for a respectable price however training with a specific product seems far more expensive yet returns no formal qualifications. Could anyone reccomend a course or give me their thoughts on any they have attended? Im based not far from Glasgow so I would be keen to hear from anyone local. Additionally, price isnt the issue, I would much rather pick the right course first time round that gives me the most knowledge than have to go back time and time again.

Also, what are the prospects like for employment after training is complete. Are most of you self employed/mobile/renting a desk? I come from a business background so being self employed is fine by me, im just wondering if there are jobs out there.

The best way for me to get into it was to get nvqs at college and then do product training with Jessica, CND and NSI after college. That way you get a recognised qualification and then you can build on it by training with products of your choice.

There are jobs available but the quality of opportunity and pay can be quite sporadic. I would recommend keeping an open mind to self employment and/or working for a bigger company with all the right human resource stuff in place if you can.

It's a very rewarding an worthwhile industry to be in overall :)

The best way for me to get into it was to get nvqs at college and then do product training with Jessica, CND and NSI after college. That way you get a recognised qualification and then you can build on it by training with products of your choice.

There are jobs available but the quality of opportunity and pay can be quite sporadic. I would recommend keeping an open mind to self employment and/or working for a bigger company with all the right human resource stuff in place if you can.

It's a very rewarding an worthwhile industry to be in overall :)

Thanks laurakate! Can I ask what college you went to for your courses? And was it part time? I am due to start a 12 week part time course at City of Glasgow college in December but it cant come quick enough for me now that I have made my decision!:biggrin:

Latest posts

Back