Going the extra mile...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barefoot26

Reaction score
I've been thinking a lot about how we can go the extra mile for our customers so we stand out from our competitors. Too many businesses these days offer very little value for money and I want to know what we, as nail professionals, can offer to our customers to make them feel valued and that they have had the best service for their hard earned cash.

I'm not talking about using high end products, doing extra training and using systems properly as that should be done anyway.

So how have you gone the extra mile for your clients? Do you have any examples of how your services have gained regular custom? Why should they go to you and not the lady down the road?

I'm not talking about using high end products, doing extra training and using systems properly as that should be done anyway.

It should be the expected norm it really should , sadly it isn't
thats why it is called Extra training :D as it is extra Wether its an advanced wax course , eyelash nails or even buissness skills ,i think going the eextra mile to be the best you can and to keep you at the top of your game ,is what sets you apart from other stylists therapists and techs

to keep fresh and up to date with training and to use what you believe are the best products then you are doing your clients the best possible service .

I used to think it was about free gifts , or the odd sunday / late night appointment , but lately i think i have changed my thoughts ,

I've been thinking a lot about how we can go the extra mile for our customers so we stand out from our competitors. Too many businesses these days offer very little value for money and I want to know what we, as nail professionals, can offer to our customers to make them feel valued and that they have had the best service for their hard earned cash.

So how have you gone the extra mile for your clients? Do you have any examples of how your services have gained regular custom? Why should they go to you and not the lady down the road?

Apart from delivering the best level of treatment service you can.

You need to engage with your client, remember her, get to know her, she is the one you are concentrating on until her treatment is finished.

Advise her, converse with her, listen to her.

Most important factor:

Excellent customer service!! If something is her fault, it's not her fault the minute she walks through your door. It's her fault AFTER you have discussed the things that might have been YOUR fault.

Clients with a complaint, whether it's real or imagined, do not want to be blamed in the first sentence. They want you to HEAR them.

Then they will accept more readily that it is probably something they have done which has caused their problem.

And then you fix the problem in a way which is fair to her or to both of you if that is the situation.

Jacqui xx

Completely agree with getting to know the client. Take note of when & where she is going on holiday. Any health issues which she has suffered from (a cold or similar) and ask her if she's feeling much better now. Ask her how her daughter's wedding went etc etc etc and select a few colours you think would suit her. It's the little things.

It isn't about becoming their best friend, just taking an interest so you aren't sat there in silence painting her toes.

Make her feel like you have all the time in the world for her even if it's a quick lip wax or something. (I realise we are talking nails).

Make the area presentable, add pretty flowers etc.

Clients will remember better how you deal with a complaint than how you painted their nails perfectly. Hth x

I always think that whilst the treatment is important you need to look at the whole package. So, from the second they enter your premises to when they leave needs to be perfect. I've been to so many places where i've walked in and the therapist has been on the phone and gestured at me to sit down and wait or they've been chatting away to someone else in the room and ignoring me for the whole of my treatment. I never go back!

They are paying for your skill and your time so if you make them the centre of that whole experience they should be very happy clients.

Jacquelineanna has for me hit the nail on the head.

Lets take it for granted that you provide a pleasant environment and a good service for the client .. what keeps her coming to YOU?

In my opinion it is 3 fold:
Great customer Service ...
Trust ...
and if they like you! Yes, if they like you.

Clients can't get to like you unless you engage them and they can't trust you until they have got to know you and experienced that your advice and recommendations and work can be trusted. Once you have that relationship (and it need go no further than that) you will keep a client forever unless you mess up big time. We usually mess up big time when we take a client for granted .. never do that.

Last edited:
Funnily enough I was speaking to a new client today who felt her previous tech had taken her for granted. She was amazed at how much of a perfectionist I am and said that she felt her last tech took her for granted and rushed every appointment and therefore the enhancements suffered as a result.
Summed up for me......your not just another technician seeing pound signs you are passionate and knowledgable ......I was pleased ;)
I've also had lots of clients who email or call with specific questions and they always say that I have to be the most helpful they have spoken too. Simple things like getting a bride to be in to give a demo of her nail options for the big day, I want my clients to have the best xx

People buy people....the remembering the dog's name, wedding they went to, did they enjoy dinner at Restauant LaLa etc all reinforces that you are interested in them....

If you have a bad memory, jot things on their card as soon as they've gone

I have been listening to nail talk radio on my mp3 player and a feature of the program is Miliies marketing tips. I love it when she comes on!! She gives great advise on how to market your business and always talks about going the extra mile for your customers. It's real inspirational stuff!!. I think she does a blog online you could have a look at. I am practicing and try all sorts of ways to get clients to stick with me. I am doing treatments on a handful of friends at a very cheap rate and have agreed with them that if they stick with me and let me practice they will always be on a cheap rate ( obviously this price will go up a pound or two with inflation and I let them know that too).xx

Latest posts

Back