Going to start doing my own manicures

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luckylady

Reaction score
Im not a beautician but I do know the basics of doing a manicure

I posted a thread on here that my nails are in a terrbile state from discount acrylics stores and I will have to hang on in there for a good few months growing the nail bed out

But I need to sort my cuticles out - so going to buy some mavala treatment stuff I thought that was reasonably priced and reputable

So what shall I buy?

Thanks for your help

You were advised in another post you made a few days ago that you need solar oil. That advice hasn't changed.

Unless I am very much mistaken, you are not in training or holding any form of qualification in nails/manicure so your post should be in the consumer section rather than the professionals area of the site.

Good luck with getting your nails back to health, you will love solar oil.

Im not a beautician but I do know the basics of doing a manicure

I posted a thread on here that my nails are in a terrbile state from discount acrylics stores and I will have to hang on in there for a good few months growing the nail bed out

But I need to sort my cuticles out - so going to buy some mavala treatment stuff I thought that was reasonably priced and reputable

So what shall I buy?

Thanks for your help

Well I hope this post reminds you and others of the damage that can be done by "discount acrylic stores" - they are best given a wide berth. I would also leave alone places that use electric files - yes I know some are in the hands of a very experienced person but the trouble is, when you walk in the door, you have no way of knowing how much experience the person using the electric file has had and a lot of damage can be done very quickly.)

DON'T however be put off by acrylics in general. As long as you are in the hands of a seasoned professional using top notch products there is no harm that will be done to your own nails.

You will find it's worth the extra few pounds that a reputable tech is charging to have your own nails left unscathed.

Now to the issue of your nails. It rather depends on what the problem is. Are we talking dry raggedy skin in the crescent area at the base of your nails? If so we are talking about eponychium, not cuticle, and as such the best advice (as has already been given) is solar oil, as often as possible. You cannot overdo it. DO NOT on any account start cutting at the eponychium as this is way outdated, not recommended and can leave you open to infection.

It the problem is proper cuticle, which can be found on the actual nail plate and grows up from the underside of the proximal fold at the base of the nail, get yourself a decent cuticle remover and be very gentle.

Hope this helps. When you've grown out your nails and they are in good condition you could try Shellac if you didn't want to go back to acrylics - it's an excellent product . . . but steer clear of the "discount" Shellac please, it will be 1) fake 2) made by Bluesky (cheap copy off ebay) 3) applied by an untrained person or 4) applied by someone not using the proper lamp and equipment.

Good luck with your nails

Latest posts

Back