Golden blonde

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJSinger

Reaction score
Any recommendations on a nice Golden blonde colour ? I use Montibello but I have not yet tried any of their golden blondes yet. I Have a new client, she is not happy with her current hairdresser which always adds a bit of pressure! She is a natural level 6 I would say (but I Have only seen photos so it is tough to see) and she has blonde all over. But it is very yellow looking and quite patchy. I can see she has a dark natural level 6 root, then a very golden looking (about an inch maybe) growth of warm blonde, looks like it has not been lifted enough to meAnd then a level 9 band after that (possibly a couple o inches ) where the toner has hit! and then the rest is just very yellow - old bleach I imagine that has not been touched for a long time. She said her hairdresser tried to put highlights through it to get rid of the gold band but it has not worked. Anyway, I have suggested a few golden slices/weaves through there to break it up at a level 7 (her aim is a "natural gold blonde") and lift out that warm inch with some more bleach. I wondered if a nice root tap would work to blend it all in but I am always nervous about the best colour to go for. Usually I go in with a level 5 as my clients are happy with a darker root smudge. But I don't think she will be. Any tips on a nice root smudge that will give her that natural look she is after. Would you suggest I lift the roots first (seeing as they are so dark), then apply a root smudge along with some slices to get some depth in there and add a bit of character? I hope I have made sense, thinking out loud whilst I type!!

Here you go I managed to get a photo, she may even be a level 5 root. Looks quite dark to me but photos can be very deceiving. But you can see that warm band I am talking about after the root? And then the band where the toner has hit! By the way, she has assured me that her hair is not in bad condition, she has course curly hair...

Attachments

• hair.jpg
    hair.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 80
Sorry to be a pain but has anyone had a chance to look at this one please? She is coming to me on Sat and another hairdresser has given me some advice, I am in 2 minds about what method to go for Thank you

I don’t think golden slices is going to do much. Can’t picture it.
I would want little bit more info from what your aim is for the client? Having spoken to her what kind of look do you think she is after? Does she want more natural highlighted dark hair or does she want to keep having all over colour? What level blonde does she want to be? Her hair doesn’t look in great condition… bleached/re- highlighted/course/curly not a great combo.
id be treating this as a full colour correction but it depends on what your clients/you want your end goal to be inc what budget and what upkeep she prefers.
Some clients can cope with a full colour change in one go some prefer to do it gradually I’d be starting with lowlights for gradual change in her natural base colour but again it depends on what she wants to do long term upkeep.

I agree with @gc2233, I don't think adding any kind of gold is going to solve the issue.
By looking at the photo I'd say the colour is way too warm and bright in comparison to her natural colour. I feel it needs to be toned down a bit.
If I was to tackle this I think I'd be highlighting through the root with bleach (weaved and sliced in fine sections. I'd be then going back through it while the bleach is developing and weave out some of the drop out and apply a demi permanent level 6 Neutral with a small amount of violet.
When developed, I'd then tone the whole lot with a demi level 9 violet + level 8 beige.
This would create a much softer look against the client skin. It will even out the patches, and you'll be reducing that horrific Yellow vs Black root effect.
She definitely needs something like Olaplex, or innoluxe etc... And definitely needs a good shampoo and conditioner.

I agree with @gc2233, I don't think adding any kind of gold is going to solve the issue.
By looking at the photo I'd say the colour is way too warm and bright in comparison to her natural colour. I feel it needs to be toned down a bit.
If I was to tackle this I think I'd be highlighting through the root with bleach (weaved and sliced in fine sections. I'd be then going back through it while the bleach is developing and weave out some of the drop out and apply a demi permanent level 6 Neutral with a small amount of violet.
When developed, I'd then tone the whole lot with a demi level 9 violet + level 8 beige.
This would create a much softer look against the client skin. It will even out the patches, and you'll be reducing that horrific Yellow vs Black root effect.
She definitely needs something like Olaplex, or innoluxe etc... And definitely needs a good shampoo and conditioner.

great advice 👍🏻

Hi, sorry for the delay. I did not get a notification about this so I did not see this advice before I done her hair. I spoke to her a lot before we done anything and she was very against any dark through her hair, even on the root and inbetween foils. We compromised and I did do a full head of highlights with bleach as you mentioned. She wanted just a tint all over but I said it will end up going warm and still be patchy and that gold band will not go anywhere if I do that. I did put some level 6 slices/weaves through the back to break it up a bit. Very fine. Just to give it some depth. I then toned it once all of that was done with a Loreal Semi (cannot remember what I Used now) and it looked lovely. Well I think so anyway ha! She was very happy and she absolutely loved the tones in there. My camera did not do a good job of showing it all but I have attached some photos. And I used some treatments on her along with masks etc. I use Chromaplex in all my colours and washing treatment. Along with a conditioning mask. There was still a bit of warmth in there, I wanted to put a level 6 like you said inbetween the foils but I was too scared to to be honest as she was so against any dark root. She has since messaged, she said she absolutely loves it but she does not like it once the root comes through and asked if I can just put a tint on it. I said you will always have a root, you are so dark and you are asking to be so blonde that that will always happen. I dont know what else to say to her really? I dont think just whacking a tint on her root will solve it, because again she will have a gold band. She also said she loves the darker blonde I put through and those tones. I dont see how I can give her a really blonde root with no dark and then dark mid/end weaves through it too without highlighting and her just having to deal with that re growth. Any suggestions are welcome of course thanks as ever!

Photos below of after

Attachments

• HAIR 2.jpg
    HAIR 2.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 31
  • HAIR 1.jpg
    HAIR 1.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 31

Latest posts

Back