Good Salon Guide?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bloomingnails

Reaction score
Hello all

Has anyone heard of the Good Salon Guide? Is it worth joining, I see you have to pay to join.

Just curious in what folk thought!

Thanks
Lilian

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using SalonGeek

I've wondered the same thing, searches on here only bring up this thread so it doesn't look to me as if many people use it. And if we don't know about it do clients????

I think it's supposed to be quite expensive

I was looking at his the other day.....I'm under the same impression it's a bit of a rip off!

I did a search for beauty in my home town and there's not 1 beauty salon which to me says it's not a popular thing, there are a few hair dressers. I personally think our business works on word of mouth, I wonder how many more clients we'd get by having a sticker on the door???

I'll be watching this thread with interest :biggrin:

I work within a salon which is classed as a 5 star salon from the The Good Salon Guide. Personally, I think it's a waste of time and money. We haven't even had a visit for over a year. And all they do is come into the salon, look around ask the owner a few questions then go. We get a certificate to say we're a 5 star salon. Rubbish!

The monthly fee is quite pricey IMO. For it, you are supposed to get "secret shoppers" come in the salon, regular inpections, advertising on their website, and the privilidge of using their logo. All I have out of it personally is the logo and being able to say we are a 5 star salon.
Lot of coin for that I think.....

Old thread I know...but I wouldn't bother wasting your money!! Hopefully if anyone else looking to join will see this. I joined in April 2015 for a 18 month contract of 84 pounds a month and 120 pound joing fee. They claimed to list me on their website and in the uk's top monthly magazines. It wasn't until August that I was finally listed in the GSG's listing in the back of hair magazine.! I was never told I would only be listed quarterly and I would never have joined in April if I wasn't going to be listed until August! They also claim to have 1.2 million hits on to their website a month which is utter rubbish! so one in 60 of the population visit that site every month? I paid them 6 months x 84 before coming to what I though were my senses before I cancelled in late September/early October and they took me to court in November! I've never had a customer as a result and the member benefits are useless.

What a farce!
I was tempted, as the salons around me are 5 *
Clients would assume those salon's to be superior to mine. :(

I needn't of worried....
I was assured, soon after their representative entered my salon, that I too could get a 5* status! :D

No check on the caliber of staff I had working with me, ....in fact, at that time, it was just myself and an assistant.
I was not asked if I was qualified or insured.
No mention of quality of product line, or where I sourced my stock. ( could've been a 'Poundland box colour'!) :oops:

It seemed she made her 5* judgment on the decor, what beverages I served, and my willingness to pay the monthly fee!

Trouble is, you'd assume the rating system to be an indication of the quality and standard of the staff employed there.
Instead, it seemed to be more a judgement made on my ability to provide a 'skinny latte',
........ or size of chandelier! :p

Last edited:
Old thread I know...but I wouldn't bother wasting your money!! Hopefully if anyone else looking to join will see this. I joined in April 2015 for a 18 month contract of 84 pounds a month and 120 pound joing fee. They claimed to list me on their website and in the uk's top monthly magazines. It wasn't until August that I was finally listed in the GSG's listing in the back of hair magazine.! I was never told I would only be listed quarterly and I would never have joined in April if I wasn't going to be listed until August! They also claim to have 1.2 million hits on to their website a month which is utter rubbish! so one in 60 of the population visit that site every month? I paid them 6 months x 84 before coming to what I though were my senses before I cancelled in late September/early October and they took me to court in November! I've never had a customer as a result and the member benefits are useless.
What was the outcome of the court proceedings

What was the outcome of the court proceedings

Outcome was a ccj against against me as I didn't get my appeal in time. They were very quick to take me to court over my busy period leading up to Christmas. I've had Visits from Bailiffs also.

What a farce!
I was tempted, as the salons around me are 5 *
Clients would assume those salon's to be superior to mine. :(

I needn't of worried....
I was assured, soon after their representative entered my salon, that I too could get a 5* status! :D

No check on the caliber of staff I had working with me, ....in fact, at that time, it was just myself and an assistant.
I was not asked if I was qualified or insured.
No mention of quality of product line, or where I sourced my stock. ( could've been a 'Poundland box colour'!) :oops:

It seemed she made her 5* judgment on the decor, what beverages I served, and my willingness to pay the monthly fee!

Trouble is, you'd assume the rating system to be an indication of the quality and standard of the staff employed there.
Instead, it seemed to be more a judgement made on my ability to provide a 'skinny latte',
........ or size of chandelier! :p

I would agree with you! I wish I'd found a thread like this earlier so I could have avoided all the stress and worry I've had over this. I feel I was misled and they really haven't provided me with much for the £540 they have had off me so far and have totally took advantage. I am in process of taking further action towards them so I will update.

Not worth the money at all!! I paid it and cancelled it and to cancel it I was tortured to keep the membership...money spinner!

Not worth the money at all!! I paid it and cancelled it and to cancel it I was tortured to keep the membership...money spinner!

What was your experience? Did they tell you were under contract or did you try and cancel during the first thirty days?
Did they tell you also you would be listed in the UK's top monthly magazines? Only to find out you will only have a tiny listing quarterly in hair magazine! I would love to hear your experience and anybody else's.

Today I paid £255 to the bailiff and handed him some forms to take them back to court to have the judgement reversed. I am looking forward to a court hearing where I can present all my evidence to the judge. Hopefully he will see them for what they are. Funnily enough in the way home from work just now there was a salon advertising on the radio, boasting of their 5 stars. In reality anyone can get the stars if they are willing to pay!

Last edited:
Thanks so much for this thread I actually nearly joined, I've totally changed my mind now! What a rip off! Thank god for salon geek!!!!!!! [emoji8]

We joined March last year and was listed on the website, in hair magazine and there own magazine within 2/3 weeks, from the actual guide itself online we've had 1 client in the last year, however through having the 5 star logo sign in the window that has attracted a lot more clients in, 2/3 per week who usually become repeat customers, I few have said "well I normally go to (saks/Toni & Guy) but I noticed you have a 5 star rating so I decided to give you a go"

The guy who came to assess our salon did go on decor but also on the fact we were ground floor, the amount of stylists, that all stylists had to be level 3, took details of all our products price lists etc

Soo all in all we have benefited from it, but not had a as much support from them as we'd of liked for the amount we pay, unfortunately the extra clients have only been from the sign in the window. Benefits of the sign tho will depend on location, were town centre between a few designer shops and restaurants so there's a lot of passing trade, if we were in an estate I doubt it'd have much influence

What's to stop you designing your own 5 star logo and sticking it in the window? Probably just as effective.

What's to stop you designing your own 5 star logo and sticking it in the window? Probably just as effective.

Nothing, but where's your professional back up if somebody decides to question it?
With 2/3 clients per week average appointment value £60-80 the guide easily pays for itself [emoji4] xx

If you have 5 star reviews on your Facebook page could you use that? Don't see why not if it is true.

Latest posts

Back